red
    02 trans am ws6

volant cold air kit questions...

I now have a slp cold air kit, ( lid, bellow, forced air piece?, and k&n) I like the looks of the volant but should I spend the cash on it or just get the extension piece thats offered for the slp. Any feedback, help whatever would be great. Thanks

2000 SS

I wouldn't get the volant. It looks cool but your SLP is good enough. I might add the SSRA 2 to your setup which will then pull the air from underneath your car (100% ram air). That part is available at speed specialty. But being that you have a WS6 you actually have a better stock "ram air" then the Camaro's do. I don't think you will add anymore HP with the volant setup. JMHO
    Last edited by WEZONIT; 08-10-2007 at 01:06 AM.

2001 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

I just switch from a lid to the Volant. Love the Volant. I don't know why, but I felt a difference. Feels much better with the Volant. Feels like I gained more with the Volant setup over the lid. Looks so much better - IMO

red
    02 trans am ws6

I went with a volant. That was by far the biggest pain in my a$$ to install. I think swappinn the motor was easier. Looks awesome though! Haven't driven it yet

2000 SS

Quote Originally Posted by 1TA LS1 View Post
    I just switch from a lid to the Volant. Love the Volant. I don't know why, but I felt a difference. Feels much better with the Volant. Feels like I gained more with the Volant setup over the lid. Looks so much better - IMO
    The volant might make more power then a just a lid, but he has the piece that pulls in colder air from somewhat underneath the car, which to me is obviously better. The amount of HP gained will be very minimal if any at all.

2000 SS

I use the SSRA which is by far the best way to get air in IMO, atleast for a camaro. I am usually a MPH or two higher then the people I race with the same mods. I seem to start pulling at or near 65-70 MPH. Any air being pulled from outside/under the hood is going to be hotter than air pulled directly from the outside. These cars don't quite starve for air from the factory (WS6 & SS especially). Volant claimes "Volant air intake systems increase performance up to 18 horsepower and 40 pounds of torque!" I sure dont believe that, atleast not on a bolt on car. Look into the SSRA 2 which converts your SLP piece into an SSRA. Either way your messing with maybe a few HP + or -. Do realize your Ram air is better than a Camaro's. You might recieve less of the benefits that I did from the SSRA. There are way better mods to be spending your money on IMO.

I've seen the HP claims for Volant. I think every company over estimates HP claims. Look at the SLP claims for HP, it's a joke. But whatever the case may be, I felt the Volant was better than the lid (this is coming from someone who had a lid first). I don't know about the difference of the WS6 has a better ram-air than the SS, but I guess what ever works better for your car. WS6 and SS could have different results.

Also, I am not to keen about the piece that pulls cold air from underneath the car. Too much crap and dirt flows underneath the car. But others might have other opinions about the FRA mod.

Quote Originally Posted by badazta View Post
    I went with a volant. That was by far the biggest pain in my a$$ to install. I think swappinn the motor was easier. Looks awesome though! Haven't driven it yet
    Yea, it was harder to install it than the lid. Especially getting the MAF sensor to snuggle fit on the Volant. But with a little sandpaper to thin down the plastic, went in perfect.

Also, I went to Home Depot and bought a 1/2 inch pipe insulation with the glue tape to place over the thin rubber Volant provides. Costs $1. See my engine bay pic above.

red
    02 trans am ws6

I noticed a increase in power from 4500 to redline with the volant. If you don't have a cold air kit that be the way to go... Very satisfied with the volant

green
    94 z28

Couldn't you just make some sort of mold for a airlid and then make it out of fiberglass and then use spray on rubber instead of buying an already-made one?

2000 SS

Quote Originally Posted by xinthenight View Post
    Couldn't you just make some sort of mold for a airlid and then make it out of fiberglass and then use spray on rubber instead of buying an already-made one?
    Seems like too much work when you can find a used one for $60 or less. I bought mine new for $92 shipped.

green
    94 z28

Quote Originally Posted by WEZONIT View Post
    Seems like too much work when you can find a used one for $60 or less. I bought mine new for $92 shipped.
    Well, I already have the items to make one and $60 would be like me working about 8 hours at the job and I'm think it would take way less time than that(actual working hours) to make my own. I also like pointing at my car and saying "I made that".

But I've been looking at a lof of them, and I'm thinking I'll be making a fully custom one with a fully custom hood for the car.

Thread Information