Thread: Volant CAI help

Black
    1998 Chevrolet Camaro SS

Volant CAI help

I own a 98 Camaro SS and it has the SLP MAF... I have a problem fitting the filter up to the MAF. I heard I should use a Fernco 3" by 3" or something like that? The other problem I am having though is... the airfilter box has this hole in it. I am pretty sure that is where my sensor is supposed to plug in (not exactly sure what sensor it is called) but on my SLP airlid it plugged directly into the box. Anyone tell me what I am doing wrong, or what I should do next? Any advice is greatly appreciated....thanks in advance...

LS1 Noob

Red
    2000 WS6

Don't know what to tell you about the bellows. Supposedly, the Fernco or regular ol' Home Depot rubber tube doesn't fit as well as the stock bellows. Considering you have an SLP MAF... maybe all bets are off.

As far as the hole goes... which hole are we talking about? If it's the hole on the right side of the box (as you're standing in front of the car), that's where the AIR hose tube hooks up to a small filter (filter's on the inside of the box). If it's the hole on the back side of the box, just right of the throttle body, that's the hole for the IAT sensor.

Marc

Black
    1998 Chevrolet Camaro SS

Yeah there is nothing to connect my airfilter end to the MAF sensor... that is where I need a rubber piece or something and put some of those rings on there and tighten it up. As for the hole... yes it is the little hole on the backside of the box near the big whole where your airfilter slides through. There is just a hole there.... and it looks that is where that sensor goes. Should I drill out the old sensor in my slp airbox and put it in that hole on the Volant? I think I might get a silicone piece to solve my problem to connect my airfilter to the MAF sensor....like I said though... if I am doing anything wrong please correct me haha.... I do not mind constructive criticism.

LS1 Noob

Red
    2000 WS6

Does the hole on the Volant box have a rubber grommet? Mine did/does. I just wiggled my IAT sensor in grommet while it was in the hole and called it a day.

I don't know dick about the SLP box. Is the IAT sensor stuck in there to the point where you have to drill it out?! Damn... I would think you should be able to simply slip it out.

Good luck w/ that...

Marc

Black
    1998 Chevrolet Camaro SS

Yeah I can unclip the sensor...but that peice that it plugs into is stuck in there and I need to drill that out. If I don't plug that sensor in it will make my check engine light come on.. and my car will start to run very rough....that is why I decided to just drill it out or something and put it in that hole (by the way yes I have that rubber peice that came with it)

LS1 Noob

Red
    2000 WS6

Well... do what you need to do. Yeah, if the IAT sensor is unplugged (or broken) it'll make the car run funky and set a code.

Thread Information