N/A nitrously aspirated stangslayer98's Avatar

black
    1998 trans am

valve cover breather ....

was wondering if anyone has a k&n part number or some info about a speed shop that sells a valve cover breather for a 98 t/a ive gone to a local speed shop and an autozone and couldnt find a damn thing

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Is this a race car??

If not...I would recommend a catch can over breathers.

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    Is this a race car??

Yepp
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

black
    1998 trans am

its not a race car....catch can like the one's on the old school 350's had... know of any companies that make them for the ls engines

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by stangslayer98 View Post
    its not a race car....catch can like the one's on the old school 350's had... know of any companies that make them for the ls engines
    Thunder Racing has one.

Alot of people do both a breather on the valve cover and a catch can on the PCV system.

Check out www.pfyc.com for an LS1 breather. It's made to screw right into the stock valve cover and replace the stock rubber cap. Helps with crank case venting, something the LS motors struggle with.

If you want an oil catch can too those can be found most anywhere, some sponsors here carry them. They work well for the PCV system to catch any oil that may be present before it enters the intake track,,,what seems to be another common LSx problem for some people.
    Hope that helps.

black
    1998 trans am

cool ill check those sites out..... going through some old magazines i found that speed inc has a helix mounted one too for $44 bucks looks nice and clean thanks for the help

00 TA PWTR, 98 VertTA NBM
    80 TA BLK, 80 Formula NBM

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Check out www.pfyc.com for an LS1 breather. It's made to screw right into the stock valve cover and replace the stock rubber cap. Helps with crank case venting, something the LS motors struggle with.
    ooo. . thats pretty damn cool

ws6 store has a nice billet catch can for $90

Quote Originally Posted by GULLETT17 View Post
    ooo. . thats pretty damn cool

ws6 store has a nice billet catch can for $90
    I found that place through Sarge I think....I picked one up and like the quality and the idea of it scewing right in the OE cover without any issues.

I'll check out the WS6 store for the oil catch. I have been contemplating the oil catch can. I haven't seen much oil at all in mine since I switched to the updated PCV valve a while back. But I still think the catch can may be in the future. Thanks.

Yellow
    2002 Trans Am CETA

It looks like more people say you need a catch can with the pcv setup if you're ruuning a stock motor verses the breather cap if you're running a race type setup. I have a completely stock car and I am in the process of replacing the whole pcv valve and hose assembly. But I guess I'm having a problem with moisture because the oil dipstick is rusting and when I pull the filler cap the is alot of moisture on it too. I don't know if I need a catch can or not but would putting a breather cap on a stock motor do me more harm than good? Seems like it would help with letting the moisture out or would act as a vacuum leak? Sorry I don't know that much about the workings of this part of the engine and the more I read the more I get confused. I never seen a topic on any kind of forum have this many different opinions on how something should be done!

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

I vote for breather and catch can. But the moisture problem is probably caused by short trips.

Yellow
    2002 Trans Am CETA

Will the breather cap let the condensation out and keep the moisture from being at the top of the dipstick and filler cap? Or does a stock motor need the stock filler cap on to keep the crankcase pressure right?

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Robreynolds View Post
    Will the breather cap let the condensation out and keep the moisture from being at the top of the dipstick and filler cap? Or does a stock motor need the stock filler cap on to keep the crankcase pressure right?
    It lets moisture out, but the car needs to be run at operating temp for a pretty long time to ensure all the moisture has boiled off, since it has to evaporate up and out of the filter.

Basically you are converting from a positive crankcase ventilation system to a breather ventilation system. The problem is these engines were designed for a PCV system, so its important that there is enough air movement throughout the engine to ensure proper ventilation of crankcase gasses, moisture, and pressure buildup.

I had my car on the "breather" system for a short while while I was waiting to install my PS6 style valley cover and PCV system. I can tell you first hand its not a good system at all. You kill the life of your oil, it takes forever for the moisture to boil out of the crankcase, and every time you stop at a traffic light, you get the horrible stench of crankcase vapors in the car. Its enough to give you a headache.

As others have said, your best bet is a catch can. The stock LS1 pcv system is not very good though, so its best to convert to the LS6 stye with the integrated fixed orfice as opposed to having a regular PCV valve. It cuts way down on the oil consumption while still providing adequate crankcase ventilation.

2000 Camaro B4C

would it make sense to run both?

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Z28boy2000 View Post
    would it make sense to run both?
    An open breather and a PCV system??

No, you basically would be creating a small vacuum leak. Pirated air could be drawn from the breather filters, through the crankcase, and into the intake manifold.

pewter
    2001 Trans AM WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    Is this a race car??

what if i drivethe car on the street and does see the track every once in a while, sorry im still confused on this system and how to modify or not to modify it

pewter
    2001 Trans AM WS6

so on a stock car a catch can is all u need?

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    I vote for breather and catch can. But the moisture problem is probably caused by short trips.
    That's what I use on one of our 4th gens. Seems my 02 SS has had numerous oil leak issues over the years, with 3 rear main seals done under warranty. I did the last one myself and also found the gasket for the rear block plate leaking at that time as well, so that was replaced. Also had one valve cover seeping that I also fixed as well as some very minor seepage from the front timing cover that required a new seal.
    After all that was repaired, only to later find the rear main seeping again after several thousand miles......
    So I opted to run a breather element on the oil fill to help vent, as well as a catch can. It has seemed to subside the oil seepage.

Not sure why this 02 was so horrible about oil seeping. My wifes LS1 is dry as a bone, with nothing but a catch can installed, no extra venting on that one. So I just left it be as is.

Thread Information