mystic teal
    2001 z28

Question Underdrive pulley install question

I'm looking for some installation advice on how to hold the flywheel while installing an slp underdrive pulley on a 2001 z28, a4. The instructions call for 240 foot pounds on the initial seating of the pulley and then 35 lbs with the new crank bolt plus an additional 140 degrees.

I'm a backyard mechanic at best trained at the school of no money when i was in the navy. I would like to know if this is a bear or can be done without special tools and without breaking a tooth off the flywheel. Any tips, tricks, advice or encouragement would be appreciated.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 SS M6

You'll need a puller to get the original off. You won't break a tooth off the flywheel, just be careful.

ONYX BLACK
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by KDZRGROWN View Post
    I'm looking for some installation advice on how to hold the flywheel while installing an slp underdrive pulley on a 2001 z28, a4. The instructions call for 240 foot pounds on the initial seating of the pulley and then 35 lbs with the new crank bolt plus an additional 140 degrees.

I'm a backyard mechanic at best trained at the school of no money when i was in the navy. I would like to know if this is a bear or can be done without special tools and without breaking a tooth off the flywheel. Any tips, tricks, advice or encouragement would be appreciated.
    Hi, wondering how you made out?

I am trying to figure out how to do mine on a 6 speed. My first attempt I had the front end up on jack stands, in gear and brake on. While I was trying to loosen the Pully Bolt with the help of a breaker bar, the car started to go backwards, off the stands..........yikes!!!!!!

I stopped!!!!!!!!

My next attempt will be with my wife with her foot on the brake, hoping that helps.

Any body have a tutorial or a link to a tutorial that works? I have found several but they don t work.

Thanks and have fun

mystic teal
    2001 z28

I ended up pulling the fans and using a 1/2 inch impac wrench to break the old crank bolt loose. I then put some anticease on the crank shaft and boiled the pulley to get it to expand. I slid the pully on as far as it would go and used the old bolt and the impac wrench to seat the pulley. I had a slightly longer bolt with a large washer on hand in case i couldn't get the old bolt started. I took the measurement to the end of the crank that slp called for, installed the new bolt and hit it with the impac wrench.

I was able to pull the inspection plate on the bell housing of the transmission and get a pry bar between the flywheel and torque converter. I wish i would have used that technique but the 240 foot pounds called for still would have been tough. I'm sure the 140 degree turn on the new bolt would have been tough also.

I spoke with a bunch of guys and everyone was blown away by the 240 foot pound spec. There were basically two camps. One camp said use the impac wrench. The other camp said not to but had no suggestion as to how to proceed. I even stopped at a chevy service department and spoke with some of the oldtimers and they said beat it on use an impac wrench.

I also put on the slp cold air induction package, which i think was designed very nicely, and a magnaflow cat back. Sounds great and so far runs well. I had no noticible difference on my gauges after the pulley which i thought i would have seen.

ONYX BLACK
    2000 Camaro SS

Okay, I am done.

First, mine is a 6 speed.

No success with a breaker bar in breaking the pullley bolt and not enough room for an impact wrench.

I tried a lil trick I learned from a mechanic.

I tied my breaker bar to the passenger side frame. Disconeected the ingnition at the coils and gave the ignition key a little tap.!!!!! VOILA!!!!!!!! The Starter does the work of breaking the bolt. Sweet and painless.

As to the 240 foot lbs. It actually only matters as to the depth that you get the pulley on. The spec called for a range, I just kept cranking and measuring untill I got the depth required. No need for a torque reading.

Also, a longer bolt helps get the new pulley started, about 2 inches more in lenght seems to work. I made one from threaded rod and couple of nuts.

Not too bad after I got it all figured out.

Have fun

Thread Information