pewter
    2001 camaro z28

turned the car on after LT's install and...

just got done doing the install (pacesetters), i turned it on (openheaders) and the sound was awsome!! i left it on for about 40 seconds. no ses light, but it was idleling at about 4000 to 5000 rpm's.

so i went inside to get my nephew so he could turn it on while i looked at the engine..probably left it on for about 2 minutes or less, once againg no ses light but thsi time it idle at about 3000 rpms and it sounded like it wanted to die. so i freaked out and turned it off. next thing i know i get this burning smelland i see some smoke coming from the engine. it smelled like rubber burning..i looked every where and the only places that i think it might be coming from is the spark plug wires. the second and third wires on the drivers side touch the headers and the second one from the passenger side. stupid me touched the header and it was sooo damn hot it burnt my finger pretty bad..i didnt think it would get so hot in less than 3 minutes...

did i do something wrong ??? is this normal?? how can i fix the plug wires so they wont touch.

im going to finish installing the ory before i turn it on again...im afraid to even hook the battery up.

New headers smoking a little bit is normal when you first start it - just burning off whatever is on the outside to keep them looking new until they're installed, smells a little too. Plug wires shouldn't be that close to the headers - reposition them, are they aftermarket? Idle being "grumpy" is also normal anytime the battery has been disconnected for a while cause it resets the PCM.

black
    02 z28

Quote Originally Posted by 2001NBMZ28
    New headers smoking a little bit is normal when you first start it - just burning off whatever is on the outside to keep them looking new until they're installed, smells a little too. Plug wires shouldn't be that close to the headers - reposition them, are they aftermarket? Idle being "grumpy" is also normal anytime the battery has been disconnected for a while cause it resets the PCM.
    +1 there will be smoke it is normal, also you computer has to relearn so it will be different for a bit. as far as the wires, did you not reuse those sleeve protectors that slide on the end of the wire that connects to the plug?

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

also, if you got painted headers instead of ceramic coated headers the paint will cook/burn off until its gone. the shit smells nasty too. like others said above check your wire looms to make sure that you placed the wire back in them correctly so they dont touch the headers. if the wires melt through the spark will arc over to the headers and you will be running a nice v-7, or less. typically headers make you run rich, so if you are smelling gas as the car idles thats a good indication you are running rich and a tune could help you in that area. just double check everything once you're done with installing the LT and the ORY. if all else fails since you have it up and if you have the factory wires, why not just upgrade them, if you have already melted a few?...
    2018 CTS-V: °°668rwhp/658rwtq°°
    2013 ZL1: °°590rwhp/576rwtq°°
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience."

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Mine touch on my 01 ss after header instail so i went out and bought some high temp sleeves and put them over potential problem wires and so far so good.
    I still have the stock wires so dunno.
    Just a production issue im guessin
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

pewter
    2000 Z28

The design for the emission tubes on the pacesetters is rediculous. They definitely didn't check for plug wire clearance. I have a 2000 Z and the AIR tube coming off the #4 cylinder is directly in the way of the wire sooo I put four layers of header wrap around it and a sleeve of high temp wire wrap around the plug wire. I guess we have to compromise for wanting to go fast

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by 2001NBMZ28
    Idle being "grumpy" is also normal anytime the battery has been disconnected for a while cause it resets the PCM.
    I disagree.
    In order for the learned tables to be reset the fuses have to be pulled.
    Unless of course it sat for a LONG time. My learned tables were still all learned after 2 weeks with no battery in the car.

Something isn't right if it is idling at 3000RPM's. First thing that comes to mind is unmetered air getting in the motor.
    What parts were all moved/removed for the install???

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos
    I disagree.
    In order for the learned tables to be reset the fuses have to be pulled.
    Unless of course it sat for a LONG time. My learned tables were still all learned after 2 weeks with no battery in the car.

Something isn't right if it is idling at 3000RPM's. First thing that comes to mind is unmetered air getting in the motor.
    What parts were all moved/removed for the install???
    Put the key to the run position with the bat already disconnected...that'll discharge staored energy in any capacitors

pewter
    2001 camaro z28

the rpm's were a typo i meant 300... well i got the ory installed, i had forgotten to put the dip oil stick back in, which caused the smoke/burning smell. it didnt smoke any more. there was a bit of smoke coming form my muffler, i believe from running rich . also my ses light came on the first couple of times i started the engine, but since then has not been on. I got it scanned and got the P0118 code..i did unplug the sensor and forgot to put it back when i first started the car. but i did notce it before i drove it. i will be taking the fuses out to morrow to try and reset it...hopefully this will make the code go away. just in case i bought a new temp sensor. and my rpm's are back to normal at around 600 or so. i do miss the open header sound though . Do headers make the car run hotter than normal?? my car seems to get to the 210 mark faster now..

Thread Information