View Poll Results: Did you get a tune after installing LT headers? Were you happy with it

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • I got a tune and yes it did make a difference.

11 55.00%
  • I got it tuned but wish I didn't. (should have waited to do more mods)

1 5.00%
  • I didn't get a tune and the car is fine.

4 20.00%
  • I didn't get a tune but I feel that it needs it.

4 20.00%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Tune for LT Headers

This is a discussion on Tune for LT Headers within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I hate to be the one to break the news to you guys but it doesn't get any better. It's ...

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I hate to be the one to break the news to you guys but it doesn't get any better. It's always one thing or another that eats at your mod money. Wait until you have a house, a couple of car payments, and KIDS. Then you have to take care of the top priorities first and the lesser stuff second. The car will normally always be second. You guys are young and have plenty of time to worry about priorities. Do the fun stuff now while there's no one to bitch about it (wife). The forsale section here is also your best friend. Keep your eyes peeled for good deals on used parts. You'll save hundreds of dollars that way.
    Headers are a good investment. They pay big dividends down the road when you start adding other mods to the car. Unfortunately it costs money to go fast. The faster you go the more it costs. Put together a game plan and a mod savings account and stick to it. I've nickel and dimed my car to death instead of doing big mod chunks because the family and things like that always come first but in the last year I've put close to $8k into the car. It took a while to get to the point to where I felt comfortable putting the money into the car but it was well worth the wait.

Red
    1999 Chevy Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    I hate to be the one to break the news to you guys but it doesn't get any better. It's always one thing or another that eats at your mod money. Wait until you have a house, a couple of car payments, and KIDS. Then you have to take care of the top priorities first and the lesser stuff second. The car will normally always be second. You guys are young and have plenty of time to worry about priorities. Do the fun stuff now while there's no one to bitch about it (wife). The forsale section here is also your best friend. Keep your eyes peeled for good deals on used parts. You'll save hundreds of dollars that way.
    Headers are a good investment. They pay big dividends down the road when you start adding other mods to the car. Unfortunately it costs money to go fast. The faster you go the more it costs. Put together a game plan and a mod savings account and stick to it. I've nickel and dimed my car to death instead of doing big mod chunks because the family and things like that always come first but in the last year I've put close to $8k into the car. It took a while to get to the point to where I felt comfortable putting the money into the car but it was well worth the wait.

I can only imagine what payments and having a family can do to the wallet. It's a good thing I'm single and still live at home. I already complain about not having the $ I would like. But a game plan is definately the way to go if you can hold out for a while and just drive the car the way it is. I went from bone stock, didn't drive the car all winter last year. Worked and just kept saving up and did basically every mod I wanted to do for that year. In a way it stinks though, you finally get your bank account up to a nice amount and then you blow half of it on the car. But like you said , have fun now while you can. And that's how I see it as well.

Navy Blue Metallic
    99 Formula M6

I have been daily driving lt's w/o a tune for about 8 months now. I am thinking about tunning for them in the near future, after i install a march u/d pulley. I think it is probably to worth it to tune for headers considering every subsequent tune will almost always be cheaper. So i say go for it, if u have the money, but if not screw it and just keep modding. then 1 day wen u have got pretty much full bolt on's and if internal work isn't in ur near future ( which i figure cuz it can be quite costly) get a damn tune and enjoy ur speed machine.

Silver
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by GottaHaveLS1 View Post
    I just hope everyone can understand my situation on this. Say I buy the pacesetter headers and ory for $500 plus shipping. then I get 02 sims for $90, plus other costs for gaskets and 02 extentions. That's going to add up close to $700 for non-stainless steel headers that I would have to install with my dad. If the car doesn't run so well afterwards and I don't feel a little more punch, then i wasted $700. I don't want to get it tuned for just one mod and I really don't have the money to buy anything else. What do you guys suggest?
    There are many worthwhile mods you can get with your money. Headers are just one. Headers will make more HP now, but will cause future mods to add even more power too. For that kind of money, consider duals instead of headers. The Bassani true duals kit http://www.stealthram.com/bassanidualexhaust.htm , for example, adds 20rwhp leaving your o2 sensors and cat alone and is easier to install than headers. It's a bolt on kit, and comes complete with muffler and all for $780. Here's another thread, with sound clips. http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=494790

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by jag42420 View Post
    There are many worthwhile mods you can get with your money. Headers are just one. Headers will make more HP now, but will cause future mods to add even more power too. For that kind of money, consider duals instead of headers. The Bassani true duals kit http://www.stealthram.com/bassanidualexhaust.htm , for example, adds 20rwhp leaving your o2 sensors and cat alone and is easier to install than headers. It's a bolt on kit, and comes complete with muffler and all for $780. Here's another thread, with sound clips. http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=494790
    Good info and good advice.

Nothing beats a real dual exhaust system

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by jag42420 View Post
    I already considered that a long time ago and bought a magnaflow catback. For the price of a duals kit to give me 20 hp, i can get headers and a catback for better sound and more hp. I know.... the y pipe is totally retarded, but i've already decided to stick with a catback.
    1999 Trans Am M6
    SLP Short Throw, Lid and CAI, BMR STB and SFC, UMI PHB, Pacesetter LT's and ORY, Magnaflow Catback, DMH 3" E-Cutout, LS7 Clutch, Motive 4.10, 160 T-Stat, MSD, !AIR, !EGR, 17x9.5 Chrome C6's wrapped in Hankook 275/40/17

Tuned at Mongillo Motors in New Haven, CT

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

waiting for the parts, got everything i needed including O2 stuff, and gaskets for 720 shipped, Coated Pacesetter LT's and ORY

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by ss~zoso~ss View Post
    waiting for the parts, got everything i needed including O2 stuff, and gaskets for 720 shipped, Coated Pacesetter LT's and ORY
    how come it was that much? didn't speedinc.com have free shipping? idk if i am allowed to post this, but it was around $615 for coated pacesetters, ory, 02 sims & extensions plus $15 for gaskets. what else did you get to up the price to $720?

Also, i hope ur shop definitely doesn't check under the car. i'm gonna call them and ask them what they check for emissions cuz i will be getting performance exhaust.

1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

sorry, tranny mount, and plug wires, and maybe something else

1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

i think i might take my old cats, cut em in half, and weld the plates to the y pipe and fab the o2 sim into the fixture so it looks like i have cats, thats if they do a visual inspection, idk what i'll do for a sniffer inspection

i'm praying that CT gets rid of emissions again

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

i think i might take my old cats, cut em in half, and weld the plates to the y pipe and fab the o2 sim into the fixture so it looks like i have cats, thats if they do a visual inspection, idk what i'll do for a sniffer inspection

that sounds like a lot of work... i think i might go catted just so i don't have to worry about emissions where ever i go. I don't think CT has a sniffer test, but i'm not sure. btw, what's a tranny mount?

1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

it is a mount that stabilizes the transmission, they tend to wear out over time, and the one i got was like 20 bucks and is supposed to be a lot stiffer, the whole theme is the less movement you engine and transmission have, them less power is lost, and the more power is transferred to the ground

no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 z28

[QUOTE=z28misfit;684853]If you want every possible hp gain out of the the LT's then I can see going with a tune. I don't think you'll be able to feel a difference if you do or don't get it tuned. It makes me laugh , the people that say they felt a difference in getting it tuned after the headers were installed, cause you know they're the same people that say they noticed a difference after installing a K&N filter. What does a tune get you overall, maybe 20hp or so. I dont think the average person can notice a 20hp gain. Just my feeling though.[/QUOTE]

wow. a tune only gets you 20hp? can you really feel 20 hp? ive ridden in an ss and i noticed that it was faster than my z28. how about this? get a bunch of mods and dont get a tune....then post and let us know how it went.

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

[QUOTE=secondgearscratch;710657]
    Quote Originally Posted by z28misfit View Post
    If you want every possible hp gain out of the the LT's then I can see going with a tune. I don't think you'll be able to feel a difference if you do or don't get it tuned. It makes me laugh , the people that say they felt a difference in getting it tuned after the headers were installed, cause you know they're the same people that say they noticed a difference after installing a K&N filter. What does a tune get you overall, maybe 20hp or so. I dont think the average person can notice a 20hp gain. Just my feeling though.[/QUOTE]

wow. a tune only gets you 20hp? can you really feel 20 hp? ive ridden in an ss and i noticed that it was faster than my z28. how about this? get a bunch of mods and dont get a tune....then post and let us know how it went.
    I don't plan on getting a tune yet, so i can let you know on that after i install my headers. I definitely noticed a difference after CAI and catback install, which definitely didn't get me more than 20 hp.

1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

^

idk man, i'd still go cat less

Pewter
    2000 z28

[QUOTE=GottaHaveLS1;710661]
    Quote Originally Posted by secondgearscratch View Post

I don't plan on getting a tune yet, so i can let you know on that after i install my headers. I definitely noticed a difference after CAI and catback install, which definitely didn't get me more than 20 hp.
    im not talking about you dude. the guy makes it sound like we're all chumps for getting some unnecessary tuning. hilarious.....

Pewter
    2000 z28

i said this in another thread, and i know it could be somewhat unrealistic and will definetely ensure a debate, but anything that will alter the a/f ratio should (technically, from what ive read/experienced) be tuned with the proper fuel and spark tables to match. SO, if you buy this reasoning, headers should be afforded a solid tune. a guy i know has the lt4 conversion. i dont know what he dynoed after the conversion, but that number was untuned. then he got a dyno tune.......80 more hp. no bullshit. but he probably wasnt making much more than before untuned so......

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Ever heard of a catalytic converter shield??

Looks like the outer shell of a cat but with nothing inside, fit it over the pipe, give it a couple tack welds, and you have yourself two catalytic converters

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    Ever heard of a catalytic converter shield??

Looks like the outer shell of a cat but with nothing inside, fit it over the pipe, give it a couple tack welds, and you have yourself two catalytic converters
    yea, i thought about that. may look into it, i know several people that can weld.

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

it is a mount that stabilizes the transmission, they tend to wear out over time, and the one i got was like 20 bucks and is supposed to be a lot stiffer, the whole theme is the less movement you engine and transmission have, them less power is lost, and the more power is transferred to the ground
    where did you find this tranny mount? i looked on several sights and found nothing...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information