My Neighbors Hate Me!!! lvbroham1's Avatar

Artic White
    2001 Chevy Camaro SS

Unhappy TSP Y-pipe question???

Ok, for the last two months my cars been in the garage and I figured since i'm not driving it, I might as well do some things to it. So far i've installed a ported oil pump, double timing chain, LS7 lifters, pp heads, lt headers, and a cam. Well, i'm currently trying to install the y-pipe I got from texas-speed and no bueno. The pipe that fits on the passenger side header seems to only slip on about an 1 1/8 inches whereas the drivers side goes on about 3 inches. Is this normal? It seems really hard trying to get the y part to attach to my LM1 and the two pipes coming from the headers. Do I have to put the y-pipe together before putting it in, or do I need to take out my LM1 to install everything. Any suggestions on the install of this kind of y-pipe? Thanks in advance.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I've done mine a couple different ways but this last time I had the entire exhaust on in about 10 minutes. I put the Y together and then put the Y into the I-pipe first and use a rubber mallet to drive it in there then raise it up and slip it onto the headers and use that same mallet to drive it forwards. My entire exhaust was loose so everything had plenty of wiggle room. Normally I put it on the headers first then just pry it into place on the I-pipe but this last way was much much faster and easier.

Artic White
    2001 Chevy Camaro SS

Thanks Orion for the quick reply, i'll give this method a try. Just came in from the garage to ask before I ended up screwing something up. I've also heard someone suggest putting anti-seeze around all the exhaust pipes, have you ever heard of this and would you suggest it?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

It probably wouldn't hurt anything. It can be a bear to get on there the first couple of times you do it but you get a system after a few times. I found that you really need to loosen it up all the way back so that the I-pipe ( piece that goes over the axle) can be moved around. That seems to give you that little bit extra you need to get it all on.

Artic White
    2001 Chevy Camaro SS

Alright, I'm gonna go back outside and give it a try. Thanks again, and when I get everything together, i'll try to post a video.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

What kind of headers? Yes antisieze will help things fit/seal up better.

Artic White
    2001 Chevy Camaro SS

pacesetters

Artic White
    2001 Chevy Camaro SS

Eventually got it. Now I just have to connect everything with band clamps, install the radiator/fans, waterpump, and powersteering and should be done. Thanks for the help Orion.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

no problem, it can be a pain the first couple of times you do it but you'll get a system that works for you. I do have a tip. Wedge some chunks of wood or something between the exhaust and floorboard in any spots that the fit is close before you tighten everything up then knock the wood out. That'll help reduce the chance of you having something bang after you get it back under there.

Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    2000 C5 Torch Red

Old thread, but I'm working on a similar exhaust setup. Did you take any completed pics. Trying to work mine out with a catted Y and it's worse than a jigsaw puzzle. First time ever that I would like to read instructions, and there are none.

Thread Information