white

tsp y pipe fell apart!

so I finish up my header nd y pipe install the other day and within 100ft one of the pipes blew off. The Kit fit great but with the solid pipes there's no way for the band clamps to crush down enough to actually hold on. I used a cutoff wheel to cut notches in it and its perfect now. Is this a memo I missed or what?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

You have to tighten the snot out of band clamps. I think the ones I used called for around 75 lb.ft. of torque.

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

yeah the band clamps are intended to crush into the pipe.....i used an impact hammer on mine and never had an issue

I use the band clamps that are a uniform diameter all the way through, so when you clamp them down the clamp actually forms itself around the step in the piping. Fit nice and tight and have never had an issue with them for many years.

Some other band clamps come with a step already formed into the clamp. I've found those to not be so forgiving and need to be cranked really tight. Even then sometimes the pipes may twist around a bit so I tend to avoid this style of band clamp.

white

I have the the ones that came in the Kit nd they aren't stepped. I tightened it so much the other side started spinning

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Yep I had to really tighten mine also. Almost 7 years ago! No issues, but I saw this post and checked it out bc my ORY was cracking where it joins, had to put some reinforcing weld on that whole section. Now it's golden. I thought maybe pk had an issue like that.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I used the clamps that came with our Kooks LT's and Y and haven't had any issues. They do drip water from the joints on cold startup.

Black
    2002 Trans am WS6 pkg

Yea I tightened the crap out of mine then decided to throw that garbage in the garbage.

Black
    WS6

dont use band clamps.. cheap ass pos.. wasted $18 on two of em

You need the good ones that are about $12 a piece and made of stainless. They hold time and time again, and the pipes easily slide apart when you need them to. The local Napa where I live is the only place that sells the good ones. All the other stores have the cheap stuff.

Don't buy the cheap $8 versions, you'll have nothing but problems.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

I got tire of the band clamps so I welded mine. Only have clamps at the collector meets the y and one more under the passenger rear seat. It will soon be replaces with a cut out tube.

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    I got tire of the band clamps so I welded mine. Only have clamps at the collector meets the y and one more under the passenger rear seat. It will soon be replaces with a cut out tube.
    Yeah, I generally weld all my systems where I can get away with it, and use the band clamps where the system needs to come apart.

Someone got the bright idea of welding the entire system on my wifes car, and when it came time to remove it for a fuel pump swap, I had to pull it all off in one piece. Luckily I had the rearend out of the car at that time anyway, but I sure as hell didn't put that system back in there. I bought a new setup, welded it intelligently , and left certain areas removable with band clamps so I don't go through that mess again

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

Welded mine up too. Comes apart at the headers and muffler if it needs to come off. No problems after that.
    Mods - Lid, Skip Shift Eliminator, MGW shifter, UMI SFCs, Founders Lower Control Arms, Founders Panhard Bar, Founders Adj. Torque Arm, UMI Torque arm mount, MWC Drive shaft safety loop, KONI Yellows, Strano Springs, Strano Sway bars, UMI Upper and lower A Arms, 160 thermostat, TSP headers and TSP true duals Monster stage 2 clutch, racetronix fuel pump, Strange S60 rear axle and tune by Frost.

Black
    WS6

i change my mind too often to weld mine.
    im currently on my 6th exhaust combo but i believe ive found the right match

I know how you feel. I'm changing the setup on my wifes camaro yet again, and I just put the 4" mufflex on there a few months ago. I've had 5 different systems on my chevelle over a 27 year span, and I just put a 3rd system on my firebird over a 20 year span. Had 3 on my truck before I was finally happy and I'll be making a first attempt on my other truck. I'm such a picky SOB It just never ends around here

Thread Information