Red
    2002 SS

Tsp Catted Y-pipe

Anybody got any experience with the TSP catted y-pipe bolted to some Pacesetters? Good or bad?? Do you prefer the pacesetter Y-pipe or TSP. My thing is I need the cats for emissions. For you guys that run without cats at all what does she smell like?

All I can give you a heads up on is the pacesetter Y-pipe.

I have a pair of them on both 4th gens and I have a few problems with them.
    First the "Y" junction needs some work. The hole cut into the pipe isn't nearly as big as the 3 inch piping, so I cut mine apart and opened it up, then rewelded it back together.

The other issue is the fact that pacesetter headers tuck up under the car so tightly that it causes the Y-pipe on the driver side to be very close to the floor pan. I had to cut this section of the piping and reposition and then reweld. No amount of adjusting seemed to get rid of the banging.

Once I had all the quirks figured out, I bought another pacesetter setup and installed it on my wifes car, and did all the same things to that one as well.

After 2 of these,,,if I ever have another one to do I may look into another brand such as Texas Speed etc... I see some designs that are made much better on the driver side with more room for adjustments and the bends appear to be designed better, where as the pacesetter "Y" literally comes straight off the header collector.

You may pay more for others but it would be well worth the money after the time and effort I have spent on a pair of pacesetter Y-pipes.

I'll try something else next time. I would like to hear input or see pics of the Texas Speed Y-pipe though. Wish I could put one in my hand for inspection before I buy next time. Thats the joy of buying things out of a catalog sight unseen I guess. Hope that helps.

PEWETER METALIC
    2002 CAMARO Z-28 M-6

I have the TSP catted y on my Kooks LT's, they fit great and have had zero issues. The nice part is it has a bit of adjustablity to it so install is a bit easier.
    Last edited by Justin93; 01-29-2009 at 04:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin93 View Post
    I have the TSP catted y on my Kooks LT's, they fit great and have had zero issues. The nice part is it has a bit of adjustablity to it so install is a bit easier.
    Thats great to know. From the pics I've seen it does appear to have more adjustability which is a good thing, and if I remember correctly it even has a bend or dip in the driver side pipe to clear that floor pan. That would save me alot of work.

Sunset Orange Metallic-M6
    2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

i HAD pacesetters and both TSP Y-Pipes (catted and non)...neither were nice with multiple adjustments cuts bends and welds to try to get closer. Id say stay away..but i know people have ad luck with it. i dont like pacesetter either. the first headers i got had bumpy flanges, the second were better but i felt the bent upwards towards the car to much for the y-pipe causing my y-pipe to hit the floor of the car under hard acceleration. it sounded dreadful.

Quote Originally Posted by tav8ws6 View Post
    i HAD pacesetters and both TSP Y-Pipes (catted and non)...neither were nice with multiple adjustments cuts bends and welds to try to get closer. Id say stay away..but i know people have ad luck with it. i dont like pacesetter either. the first headers i got had bumpy flanges, the second were better but i felt the bent upwards towards the car to much for the y-pipe causing my y-pipe to hit the floor of the car under hard acceleration. it sounded dreadful.
    Ya I feel the pacesetter headers are too close to the floor as well causing Y-pipe issues.

When you said neither were nice are you referring to both of the Texas Speed Y-pipes???

Sunset Orange Metallic-M6
    2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Yes. I first ordered the Y with high flow cats, and that didnt give me much room. so i then ordered the catless Y which was better, but still wasnt good enough to me.

Quote Originally Posted by tav8ws6 View Post
    Yes. I first ordered the Y with high flow cats, and that didnt give me much room. so i then ordered the catless Y which was better, but still wasnt good enough to me.
    Very good to know. You sound as picky as I am.

Thread Information