Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

True Duals vs. Y

This is a discussion on True Duals vs. Y within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by rickssz Just keying on power and not sound did i get it right that true duals vs ...

dark bowling green
    2000 corvette

Quote Originally Posted by rickssz
    Just keying on power and not sound did i get it right that true duals vs modded y catback picks up 15 rwhp so vs stock exhaust duals alone pick up min. 30 rwhp like on MRR23's car?

the graph is showed was on the wife's car. it has bassani headers, with catted y-pipe and borla 3" adjustable catback. i removed the borla and bassani y-pipe and added the bassani tru-duals. i had to make minor modfication to get it to fit the cats. so, extrapolating from an average gain of 10-15 rwhp when swapping from a stock catback to an aftermarket, you could see 25-30 rwhp from the bassani tru-duals. i'd say about 20 rwhp myself. you can't always compound gains.

Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by spazzyfry123
    Well I have given it even more thought, and I think I will get some long-tubes and have an electronic cut-out immediately after the LT and then just keep the factory cat-back and get a new Y-pipe I guess. I will need a new Y-pipe with new headers, correct?
    As already stated, you would probably be better off with some test pipes you could swap in place of the converter. Besides, putting just one cutout after the Y saves you from two expensive electronic cutouts.

Most racers who run open headers find they get the best times with 18"-24" extensions on the collector for scavenging purposes, I suppose that you'll get close to that putting the cutout after the Y. Too short of a pipe will cost you low end.

Black
    1999 Camaro SS M6

Gah...I'm so indecisive! I would really like to have true-duals because it appears that they sound better. I don't see that much of a difference in power made between true duals and a Y-pipe, so the choice is mainly for sound. I also enjoy making my car "unique" in a sense, and since the car comes with a Y-pipe design, true duals would go hand-in-hand with the "unique" aspect. This will more than likely be my first modification to the car (Long-tube headers, true-dual exhaust with Sweet Thunder mufflers). I just can't get over the idea that the Y-pipe design wasn't a good idea on GM's part. I have no doubts that it is sufficient and works great, I just believe it is odd that they did that instead of going ahead and going with true-duals.
    So I guess I will save up for some coated Pacesetter long-tube headers and the TSP true dual system with Sweet Thunder mufflers dumped before the axle. (I am aware of the drone...my last car was dumped with an off-road H-pipe and the spare change in my cup-holder would get airborne at times just from the vibration of the sound)
    On a side note, I have heard that LS1's need backpressure. Would running an off-road application such as this (no cat's) be okay? I may even opt for a couple electric cut-outs to put in right after the header for when I want to get loud. My friend has a 383 stroker LT1 in his '92 'Vette and has essentially done the same thing that I am considering doing...and man does that thing sound mean with the cut-outs open

Snake Eater
    i wouldn't run cutouts on a td system

Black
    1999 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by Snake Eater
    i wouldn't run cutouts on a td system
    Any reason why?

Snake Eater
    well considering you won't have that much power, the cutout will actually make you lose some power. if you want the sound, i guess go for it though.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information