Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

True Duals vs. Y

This is a discussion on True Duals vs. Y within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; here.. this might help you.. http://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread...ght=true+duals...

Snake Eater

Black
    1999 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by Snake Eater
    Ah, indeed it has After reading that and watching http://www.ls1sounds.com/true_duals/...224-114cam.wmv, I'm pretty sure I've decided on long-tubes with X-pipe for true duals and Sweet Thunder mufflers. I am unsure on what length mufflers to get though.

Snake Eater
    18''

Black
    1999 Camaro SS M6

Alrighty. This is the setup I have planned out:
    • Pacesetter Long Tube Headers (ceramic coated)
    • Texas-Speed Rumbler X True Duals w/18" Sweet Thunder Mufflers

Sound good enough?

And if the sound is just too much, I will more than likely run under the axle since there doesn't seem to be any ground clearance issues and it appears to be a waste of money to go over the axle...
    Last edited by spazzyfry123; 02-20-2006 at 07:36 PM.

Black
    1999 Camaro SS M6

Now veering a little off topic, but still staying on...I plan to lower the car with Eibach Sportline Springs (according to their site, that's a 1.7"-2.3" drop). Do you think I'll be able to drive with the dumps or do you think they are just going to end up being torn off? I just really think that F-bodies look killer when they are slammed, so I am going to do this naturally. But I also want true duals to stand out from the crowd (and I also believe it was kind of an odd design to go with the Y-pipe...).
    Another idea that has struck me is having the "turndowns" become "turnouts". Doing so, I could achieve another inch or so of ground clearance along with escaping a little bit of the drone associated with dumping an exhaust. Could this be done? Or would doing this intefere with other parts (fuel lines, suspension components, etc...)?
    Last edited by spazzyfry123; 02-20-2006 at 08:29 PM.

Snake Eater
    Sounds like a good setup to me. It really depends on how good of work the shop does in order for you to drop it with good clearance. As far as turnouts, I'm sure they'll work just fine, but you'll still have drone..

Black
    1999 Camaro SS M6

Well yeah, I know I will still have drone. But I think that going with turn-outs might alleviate some of the drone.

Now all I have to do is get the car...haha. It's in Texas right now and I should be getting it towards the beginning of March (8th or 9th maybe?).

Snake Eater
    Good luck with the car!

Black
    1999 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by Snake Eater
    Good luck with the car!
    Thanks! I cannot wait!

SOM
    1998 Z28-408 l92 stroker

what would you guys think of true duals x pipe and 2 loudmouth mufflers?

Black
    98 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by spazzyfry123
    Now veering a little off topic, but still staying on...I plan to lower the car with Eibach Sportline Springs (according to their site, that's a 1.7"-2.3" drop). Do you think I'll be able to drive with the dumps or do you think they are just going to end up being torn off? I just really think that F-bodies look killer when they are slammed, so I am going to do this naturally. But I also want true duals to stand out from the crowd (and I also believe it was kind of an odd design to go with the Y-pipe...).
    Another idea that has struck me is having the "turndowns" become "turnouts". Doing so, I could achieve another inch or so of ground clearance along with escaping a little bit of the drone associated with dumping an exhaust. Could this be done? Or would doing this intefere with other parts (fuel lines, suspension components, etc...)?

I have the Eibach Pro-kit and scrape on everything. I have to be real careful. I can't even imagine what a nightmare the sportlines would be, especially with TD's. With TD's and sportlines you'll have next to no clearance with a nice tuck job. Prepare to high center on a bottle cap lol.

Red
    2000 Camaro SS

I switched from 2.5" TD's, with a H midpipe, and bullets-- to 3" TD's with an X and sweet thunders. Night and day sound difference in sound, I love it.

3" compared to the 2.5" makes no real noticeable difference on a regular bolt on car except for the sound.

Edit: I also noticed people talking about drone, 4.11's on the highway I still get no drone.
    Last edited by 00SLPSS; 02-27-2006 at 05:34 AM.

Black
    1999 Camaro SS M6

Well I have given it even more thought, and I think I will get some long-tubes and have an electronic cut-out immediately after the LT and then just keep the factory cat-back and get a new Y-pipe I guess. I will need a new Y-pipe with new headers, correct?

SOM
    1998 Z28-408 l92 stroker

yeah

Black
    98 Trans Am

Well I have given it even more thought, and I think I will get some long-tubes and have an electronic cut-out immediately after the LT and then just keep the factory cat-back and get a new Y-pipe I guess. I will need a new Y-pipe with new headers, correct?

You don't want the cutout right after the headers though. You need to put your cutout after the y-merge to allow the exhaust gasses to scavenge. Otherwise you might even lose hp.

Black
    1999 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by SLOW346
    You don't want the cutout right after the headers though. You need to put your cutout after the y-merge to allow the exhaust gasses to scavenge. Otherwise you might even lose hp.
    Ah...I wanted to do this so I can pass the sniffer, but then bypass the cats when I wanted

Black
    98 Trans Am

Ah...I wanted to do this so I can pass the sniffer, but then bypass the cats when I wanted
    You'd be better off getting offroad test pipes to swap in place of the cats, rather than bypassing the cats with cutouts. Your cutout's need to be after the merge, unless you don't care about losing performance and just want them for sound.

Black
    1999 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by SLOW346
    You'd be better off getting offroad test pipes to swap in place of the cats, rather than bypassing the cats with cutouts. Your cutout's need to be after the merge, unless you don't care about losing performance and just want them for sound.
    Not trying to annoy you, but I like to learn. So...why? And how does it hurt performance?

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

In short, it is important because it acts to balance the two banks of the engine. The scavenging effect smooths out uneven exhaust pulses from the engine’s firing order thus increasing power and making the overall system quiter.
    Last edited by ~redlinels1~; 02-28-2006 at 10:14 PM.

Just keying on power and not sound did i get it right that true duals vs modded y catback picks up 15 rwhp so vs stock exhaust duals alone pick up min. 30 rwhp like on MRR23's car?
    Last edited by rickssz; 03-03-2006 at 08:42 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information