Results 1 to 19 of 19

True duals installed today...

This is a discussion on True duals installed today... within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Finally got my exhaust done today, 400 plus tax. qtp headers (already installed) down to 2 1/2 out the back ...

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Madrid, Iowa
    Age
    43
    Posts
    304

    red
    02 trans am ws6

    True duals installed today...

    Finally got my exhaust done today, 400 plus tax. qtp headers (already installed) down to 2 1/2 out the back over the axles into two magnaflow stainless mufflers and exiting in the stock location with the corsa dual tips. true duals the drivers side crosses over to the passenger side towards the rear dif and they are side by side over the axle. not to bad all with aluminized pipe. as soon as I get pics I'll post. It's at the dealer ship now still throwing a code and running horrible. butt kicker is I don't even know how it sounds... I asked about a h pipe and he said it would only be effective if it was the same distance from the headers on both sides, but hell all in all 400 for true duals I'll take it

  2. #2
    Member NHRAMAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Vancouver,B.C.,Canada.W.Coast
    Posts
    513

    Navy Blue Metallic
    '99 T/A WS6 M6

    sounds like a good deal...try and get a vid...
    99 WS6 M6 NBM !Cags,!Cats,Vinci/Crane,Hurst,Detroit TruTrac,3:73,31 Splne,Edel.Race LT's,ORY,QTEC,Flow,ARP,Percy,MSD,SLP,AC/DELCO,Bosch,GMPP,Cntrfrce DF,Htchkiss,Susp.Tech,Lakewood,285's,Bilstein,Pro-kit,SLP,RK Sprt,A/Meter,Red Optima,Magnaflow S/S Tips,Hd Pins,Tint,Fire.Ex,[*4 Hot Rod Power Tours*]

  3. #3
    2004 HEAD/CAM CTS-V 9t8z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    doylestown, Pa
    Posts
    6,818

    SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

    Is it a mandrel bent system or mandrel bends pieced together?

  4. #4
    Junior Member REDHEATWS6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    MIAMI, FLORIDA
    Age
    47
    Posts
    92

    RED
    2001 PONTIAC TA RAM AIR

    Yes please, definitely want to see pics. Sounds like a good price.

  5. #5
    Slow'er'Ass Mr. Luos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Thornton, CO
    Posts
    23,785

    Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

    Quote Originally Posted by 9t8z28 View Post
    Is it a mandrel bent system or mandrel bends pieced together?
    I can't imagine it being $400 and mandrel bent.

    But maybe he got a great deal.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Madrid, Iowa
    Age
    43
    Posts
    304

    red
    02 trans am ws6

    no its not mandrel bent, I asked the guy about it and he showed me a diagram where the flow of the exhaust takes the same pattern on reg. bent vs mandrel bent. He also reassured me that there isn't much if any HP gains from mandrel tubing (he said he doesn't know of any proven dyno results). but hey I'm not a muffler specailist myself so... Anywho got my car back from the dealership today. I was having the p300 code. I changed my plugs, wires, crank sensor, exhaust, fuel filter... bla bla turns out it was a bad wire to my coils and 8,6,4 weren't working. so all is good now! Car sounds great! Supercharger and a 50 shot of NOS goes on next! Hopefully I can start that next week!!!

  7. #7
    The Bandit Wesman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    4,033

    SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by badazta View Post
    no its not mandrel bent, I asked the guy about it and he showed me a diagram where the flow of the exhaust takes the same pattern on reg. bent vs mandrel bent. He also reassured me that there isn't much if any HP gains from mandrel tubing (he said he doesn't know of any proven dyno results). but hey I'm not a muffler specailist myself so... Anywho got my car back from the dealership today. I was having the p300 code. I changed my plugs, wires, crank sensor, exhaust, fuel filter... bla bla turns out it was a bad wire to my coils and 8,6,4 weren't working. so all is good now! Car sounds great! Supercharger and a 50 shot of NOS goes on next! Hopefully I can start that next week!!!
    Sounds like he just didn't feel like using mandrel bends, and wanted to convince you that regular (or "kink") bends are just as good. The "kink" bend exhaust systems that we get in at work are horrible, they are kinked at 90 degree angles, so half the pipe in each bend is unuseable. They also appear to be cut with a dull hacksaw, so they have rough, sharp edges with metal shavings hanging off. So despite what the guy may have told you, mandrel is best, but depending on how much they are bent, it may not be much of a real airflow loss. Still, you can't beat mandrel

    Post up some pics and a sound clip if you can, true duals > y-pipe

  8. #8
    Member jmhvenom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Age
    32
    Posts
    823

    Silver
    2002 Z28

    From what I understand (could be completely wrong) and H pipe or X pipe is to even the flow between the two sides. If one has more flow/compression in the pipe, then it will be regulated by the H or X pipe across to the other one and they will come out at even pressure. So, I would think it would be fine if its at different points on the exhaust on each side. Hey, its just me though.

    I like my true duals though, 2 cutouts on the ypipe.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    69

    Red
    1999 Z28

    [QUOTE=I like my true duals though, 2 cutouts on the ypipe.[/QUOTE]

    Duals with a y-pipe? Am I missing something....

  10. #10
    The Bandit Wesman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    4,033

    SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by maverick_132 View Post
    Duals with a y-pipe? Am I missing something....
    I was going to ask the same thing lol

  11. #11
    Rollo Tomassee AKIRA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Outside the box
    Age
    37
    Posts
    2,887
    Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    Sounds like he just didn't feel like using mandrel bends, and wanted to convince you that regular (or "kink") bends are just as good. The "kink" bend exhaust systems that we get in at work are horrible, they are kinked at 90 degree angles, so half the pipe in each bend is unuseable. They also appear to be cut with a dull hacksaw, so they have rough, sharp edges with metal shavings hanging off. So despite what the guy may have told you, mandrel is best, but depending on how much they are bent, it may not be much of a real airflow loss. Still, you can't beat mandrel

    Post up some pics and a sound clip if you can, true duals > y-pipe
    A muffler shop said theyd "bend" me up a true dual exhaust, but cuz it wasnt mandrelly bent, I declined.

    My exhaust right now is better than stock, so going back in and doing something else should be an improvement. I mean, I might just be treading water by getting a bent system.

    Not sure though...

  12. #12
    Slow'er'Ass Mr. Luos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Thornton, CO
    Posts
    23,785

    Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

    Quote Originally Posted by maverick_132 View Post
    Duals with a y-pipe? Am I missing something....
    His duals are the cutouts.

    Duals when open...y-pipe set-up when closed.
    At least that is how I read it.

  13. #13
    ArtistFormerlyKnownAsMac Silver Streak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    4,845

    All Black
    83, 87, 02 All WS6 T/As

    I love my true duals.. between the Pacesetter LTs and the TSP Rumbler.. I gained 26hp and 19lbs tq. Sounds mean as hell too!
    -Geno
    1983 Black WS6 "WindCharger"
    1987 Black WS6 "WS87"
    2002 Black WS6 "Silver Streak"
    Sold the other four f-bodies

  14. #14
    Rollo Tomassee AKIRA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Outside the box
    Age
    37
    Posts
    2,887
    Quote Originally Posted by KITTvsKARR View Post
    I love my true duals.. between the Pacesetter LTs and the TSP Rumbler.. I gained 26hp and 19lbs tq. Sounds mean as hell too!
    Was that a gain coming from stock or an off road Y-pipe?

  15. #15
    ArtistFormerlyKnownAsMac Silver Streak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    4,845

    All Black
    83, 87, 02 All WS6 T/As

    Stock.... I went from 305/306 stock to 342/355 with a lid, headers, duals, and tune.

  16. #16
    2004 HEAD/CAM CTS-V 9t8z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    doylestown, Pa
    Posts
    6,818

    SILVER
    2004 CTS-V


  17. #17
    Member jmhvenom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Age
    32
    Posts
    823

    Silver
    2002 Z28

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    His duals are the cutouts.

    Duals when open...y-pipe set-up when closed.
    At least that is how I read it.
    glad someone got it

  18. #18
    2004 HEAD/CAM CTS-V 9t8z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    doylestown, Pa
    Posts
    6,818

    SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

    Quote Originally Posted by badazta View Post
    Finally got my exhaust done today, 400 plus tax. qtp headers (already installed) down to 2 1/2 out the back over the axles into two magnaflow stainless mufflers and exiting in the stock location with the corsa dual tips. true duals the drivers side crosses over to the passenger side towards the rear dif and they are side by side over the axle. not to bad all with aluminized pipe. as soon as I get pics I'll post. It's at the dealer ship now still throwing a code and running horrible. butt kicker is I don't even know how it sounds... I asked about a h pipe and he said it would only be effective if it was the same distance from the headers on both sides, but hell all in all 400 for true duals I'll take it
    He cleary states that their true duals! (2 1/2 over the axle)
    Why would he run one 2.5" pipe to the back?

  19. #19
    Rollo Tomassee AKIRA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Outside the box
    Age
    37
    Posts
    2,887
    Quote Originally Posted by KITTvsKARR View Post
    Stock.... I went from 305/306 stock to 342/355 with a lid, headers, duals, and tune.
    Oh..thats a bit different.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Longtubes and true duals installed :)
    By LeadFarmer in forum Multimedia Section
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 07-18-2012, 07:34 PM
  2. True duals
    By wanna_lS1 in forum Parts Wanted / Trade
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-05-2009, 03:44 PM
  3. WTB TSP true duals
    By HASTINGSRJ in forum Parts Wanted / Trade
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-01-2008, 08:04 PM
  4. my true duals
    By Qwk94Z28 in forum External Engine
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-30-2007, 09:49 PM
  5. True Duals Installed...w/ pics!!
    By Wesman in forum External Engine
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 07-06-2007, 01:32 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •