Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Junior Member Last of the Breed's Avatar

Peweter
    2002 Trans Am WS6

true duals (dumped or all the way out the back)

Just wondering what the sound difference is going to be running true duals all the way out the back as opposed to having them dumped. I have a 2002 Trans Am, so I want to do them all the way out the back because it looks better, but still want to have a great, loud as hell sounding exhaust. I plan on either going with the SLP Shotgun resenators or the Dynomax bullet mufflers. Also, do different exhaust tips effect the way it sounds? If so, what would you suggest?

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

I'm dumping mine out at the axle with Dynomax Bullets...running true duals (3" piping) is impossible, so yeah.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

ok 1..are you running headers ?

2. define loud..there is obnoxious loud..like trucks and there is muscle car loud

3. getting dumped will give you some resonance and drone/rasp ..out the back will eliminate that for the most part..

Peweter
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Yes, I will be running long tube headers. So you're saying that it's impossible to run 3 inch piping all the way out the back? Aren't there a lot of people who have done it?

red
    1995/2002 camaro z28's

Yes people have done it, but you will have to find a good exhaust shop that's willing to custom fab it, personally I think it looks better out the back on ta's and better dumped on camaros. Edit: I didn't answer you original question, dumped will be louder especially inside the car
    Last edited by davidz28guy; 10-23-2009 at 06:03 AM.

98' trans am

with the help of this

but why 3" all the way out back ?? if you are running true duals both being 3" it will be over kill in my opinion

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    with the help of this

but why 3" all the way out back ?? if you are running true duals both being 3" it will be over kill in my opinion
    Yeah you don't want to sound like a dump truck coming down the road. I say dump it.

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Last of the Breed View Post
    Yes, I will be running long tube headers. So you're saying that it's impossible to run 3 inch piping all the way out the back? Aren't there a lot of people who have done it?
    Quote Originally Posted by davidz28guy View Post
    Yes people have done it, but you will have to find a good exhaust shop that's willing to custom fab it, personally I think it looks better out the back on ta's and better dumped on camaros. Edit: I didn't answer you original question, dumped will be louder especially inside the car
    I thought most true duals out the back were 2.5", not 3".

red
    1995/2002 camaro z28's

Quote Originally Posted by ls1camino View Post
    I thought most true duals out the back were 2.5", not 3".
    Alot are but I've seen pictures from several ppl doing 3 all the way back

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

I am dumped at the axel and love the heck out of it. And yes people are doing 3 all the way out back.

Black
    00 NHRA Formula

Personally I would stick to a 2.5 Duals out the back. dual 3's are overkill and is hurting you over a 2.5 unless you are pushing some serious numbers.
    Its not just about volume...its velocity as well.

I dont know how mine was done cuz i didnt have it done...but i have 2.5" i believe, might even be 2.25, duals all the way back.

red
    1995/2002 camaro z28's

Quote Originally Posted by bryceslu View Post
    Personally I would stick to a 2.5 Duals out the back. dual 3's are overkill and is hurting you over a 2.5 unless you are pushing some serious numbers.
    Its not just about volume...its velocity as well.

I dont know how mine was done cuz i didnt have it done...but i have 2.5" i believe, might even be 2.25, duals all the way back.
    Dual 3 inch exhaust isn't going to hurt performance, if that was the case electric cut outs would destroy performance and so would the 3 inch dump kits like the ones from Texas speed, those both flow alot more than dual 3 all the way back

black
    90 chevy irocz

had em all the way out then cut them before rear axle. sounds better to me and every body that i know says its the best sounding camaro they have ever heard. but its loud in the car and vibes interior pieces with the resonation. not too bad. dyno mat will fix. btw its 1 3/4 inch full lengths, then true dual to h-pipe and magnaflows and turn downs at a 45.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

When I first has my duals fabbed up they were 3" all the way back, over the axle and out the rear. This was before the 9" install though. Couldn't fit the 3" piping along with those large axle tubes anymore, so had it cut down to 2.5" over the axle.

This was taken about a month ago....

No cats, custom piping, Magnaflow 5x8's under the rear bumper, as seen here....

When it comes down to it, the overall volume of the exhaust is not much more than a typical catback and header system....which is actually thanks to the Magnaflow mufflers. Very clean and tame sound. I LOVE how it sounds. Not too loud, and just a very solid tone. No drone, and it gets compliments all the time.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGoRrfF39ig[/ame]

The sound is tame enough just driving down the street that I get messed with often by people that think the car has just a basic exhaust system on it, and not a heavily modded stroker. That is the sound I was going for.
    2008 Trailblazer SS
    Yank PTB3600, Kooks 1 7/8" LT's, 4" intake, E-fans, Magnaflow, Sonnax kit, tranny cooler, tune.
    Lowered, HID's, tinted.

1999 Pontiac Trans Am WS.6 #1747 SOLD
    531.1 RWHP 481.3 FT/Pounds all motor.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

I like the true dual out the back as well. Those recesses in the rear bumper are there for a reason.

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    I like the true dual out the back as well. Those recesses in the rear bumper are there for a reason.
    Meh...I said the same thing, b since I took my exhaust off I've grown to like nothing being there. Also\, it lets people see my massive Sway Bar and 9" Rear End

PEWTER
    2000 CAMARO SS #3821

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    When I first has my duals fabbed up they were 3" all the way back, over the axle and out the rear. This was before the 9" install though. Couldn't fit the 3" piping along with those large axle tubes anymore, so had it cut down to 2.5" over the axle.

Click for full size

This was taken about a month ago....
    Click for full size

No cats, custom piping, Magnaflow 5x8's under the rear bumper, as seen here....
    Click for full size

When it comes down to it, the overall volume of the exhaust is not much more than a typical catback and header system....which is actually thanks to the Magnaflow mufflers. Very clean and tame sound. I LOVE how it sounds. Not too loud, and just a very solid tone. No drone, and it gets compliments all the time.

The sound is tame enough just driving down the street that I get messed with often by people that think the car has just a basic exhaust system on it, and not a heavily modded stroker. That is the sound I was going for.
    I think that your exhaust is the best I've ever seen under these cars!

Peweter
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Will my vehicle pass inspection if I decided to have them dumped? I live in Jefferson City, Missouri. I agree that it looks better to have them extended all the way out the back, so I guess what the majority of you are saying is that I can go 3 inches to the muffler and then 2.5 inches from there out the back?

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Last of the Breed View Post
    Will my vehicle pass inspection if I decided to have them dumped? I live in Jefferson City, Missouri. I agree that it looks better to have them extended all the way out the back, so I guess what the majority of you are saying is that I can go 3 inches to the muffler and then 2.5 inches from there out the back?
    no where we run into problems is when the piping runs over the axle..its tight up there..especially without the panhard bar relocation...for most applications a 2.5 is good enough..remember you are pushing 2.5" per header so combined you are 5" ..so you are flowing quite a bit more then a single over like a Y pipe set up of a max of 4"

Black
    2001 Formula

fot being in missouri, as long as you have cats and mufflers your legal. just make sure you dont fire off your check engine light. they will fail you on the spot

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information