Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

true duals (dumped or all the way out the back)

This is a discussion on true duals (dumped or all the way out the back) within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; 2.5" duals are good up until 500-550 HP. Forced induction is about the same but 3" is recommended at the ...

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

2.5" duals are good up until 500-550 HP. Forced induction is about the same but 3" is recommended at the same power level but you can get away with 2.5"

3" will be tight. Chances are, the shop that does the work (no matter how good they tell you they are) is not going to tuck it up like you want and it will drag.

99% of shops are going to compression bend the pipes no matter whether they tell you.

Mandrel bent is the way to go especially if you decide to go 2.5". Building true duals with mandrel bent pipe requires many mandrel bent pieces that must be cut and fabbed together. This method is typically expensive ($700-$1,200) but less expensive than having a shop mandrel bend the whole system as a unit would would cost $2K or more typically!

No matter what you do, get a panhard bar relocation kit. But remember, if you are lowered, you will also need panhard bar relocation kit for the rear.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by 9t8z28 View Post

No matter what you do, get a panhard bar relocation kit. But remember, if you are lowered, you will also need panhard bar relocation kit for the rear.
    huh ?

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    huh ?
    At factory ride height, your panhard bar is or should be parallel with the ground.

When you lower a car, the panhard bar is now on an angle. (This is especially bad if you have 315's on the back because as the rear goes up and down it is now moving more to the right as the suspension compresses) SORRY, I GOT OFF OF TOPIC BUT IT ALL STEMS FROM THE PANHARD)
    Anyway, now the panhard bar is on an upward angle from the right to the left. When you install the panhard bar relocation kit, the relocation bar will now be so close to panhard bar that they will contact each other as the suspension travels.

This is before the panhard bar relocation kit for the rear. Notice how close ther panhard is to the brace?

Notice the upward angle of the panhard?

the panhard bar relocation kit for the rear lowers the driverside so that the bar is now parallel to the ground. I have pics of it but I need to find them.

This is the panhard bar relocation kit from Jegs. It mounts in the same location as the panhard would when secured to the rear.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Jegster/550/41055/10002/-1
    Last edited by 9t8z28; 10-26-2009 at 07:16 PM.

98' trans am

At factory ride height, your panhard bar is or should be parallel with the ground.

When you lower a car, the panhard bar is now on an angle. (This is especially bad if you have 315's on the back because as the rear goes up and down it is now moving more to the right as the suspension compresses) SORRY, I GOT OFF OF TOPIC BUT IT ALL STEMS FROM THE PANHARD)
    Anyway, now the panhard bar is on an upward angle from the right to the left. When you install the panhard bar relocation kit, the relocation bar will now be so close to panhard bar that they will contact each other as the suspension travels.

This is before the panhard bar relocation kit for the rear. Notice how close ther panhard is to the brace?
    Click for full size

Notice the upward angle of the panhard?

Click for full size

the panhard bar relocation kit for the rear lowers the driverside so that the bar is now parallel to the ground. I have pics of it but I need to find them.

This is the panhard bar relocation kit from Jegs. It mounts in the same location as the panhard would when secured to the rear.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Jegster/550/41055/10002/-1
    ohhhh ok..thanks man

dark bowling green
    2000 corvette

2.5" duals are good up until 500-550 HP. Forced induction is about the same but 3" is recommended at the same power level but you can get away with 2.5"
    guess my 663 rwhp is an exception.

i run the bassani 2.5" tru-duals on both cars. doesn't need a upper panhard relocation kit either.

also, some states require the exhaust to exit past the passenger compartment. so, dumping under the car might cause you some legal issues.

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by mrr23 View Post

i run the bassani 2.5" tru-duals on both cars. doesn't need a upper panhard relocation kit either.

also, some states require the exhaust to exit past the passenger compartment. so, dumping under the car might cause you some legal issues.

Click for full size

Click for full size
    I have a body mounted torque arm...would this exhaust system fit with that there?

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Click for full size

Click for full size

No, it is not an exception. You would make alot more power with a larger exhaust and I am not recommending that you go larger. The Bassani system is nice for the price but it could use some improvement as far as ground clearance and you are limited to suspension modifications.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by ls1camino View Post
    I have a body mounted torque arm...would this exhaust system fit with that there?
    No, it would not fit.

dark bowling green
    2000 corvette

No, it is not an exception. You would make alot more power with a larger exhaust and I am not recommending that you go larger. The Bassani system is nice for the price but it could use some improvement as far as ground clearance and you are limited to suspension modifications.
    i can't see how i would make alot more power with another 1/2" diameter of piping per side.

don't have any ground clearance issues as i am stock height on both cars. the pipe at the driver's header it is 4" off the ground.

what suspension limitations do i have with the bassani? it doesn't interfere with any suspension pieces at all. there are a few cars running 7s with stock style/type/location suspension.
    Last edited by mrr23; 10-29-2009 at 06:49 PM.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

i can't see how i would make alot more power with another 1/2" diameter of piping per side.

don't have any ground clearance issues as i am stock height on both cars.

what suspension limitations do i have with the bassani? it doesn't interfere with any suspension pieces at all.
    At your power lever? Sure you would. No doubt. At my power level, I could (at least) see an additional 20HP besides the fact that I am FI.

The Bassani kit is limited to a stock or aftermarket tranny mounted torque arm and no aftermarket rears.

dark bowling green
    2000 corvette

Quote Originally Posted by ls1camino View Post
    which body mount torque arm? the BMR Trak Pak, no. a TA that's mounted where the tunnel brace is should clear.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

which body mount torque arm? the BMR Trak Pak, no. a TA that's mounted where the tunnel brace is should clear.
    It's impossible without modifying it.

dark bowling green
    2000 corvette

At your power lever? Sure you would. No doubt. At my power level, I could (at least) see an additional 20HP besides the fact that I am FI.

The Bassani kit is limited to a stock or aftermarket tranny mounted torque arm and no aftermarket rears.
    aftermarket rear isn't a suspension piece. but it might not clear a 9". granted i have never broke a stock rear. then again, it still goes over the passenger side.

for 20hp, i'll just up the pill on the kit.
    Last edited by mrr23; 10-29-2009 at 06:57 PM.

dark bowling green
    2000 corvette

It's impossible without modifying it.
    hmm, yeah the torque arm gets in the way there. spohn has a torque arm that mounts to the trans crossmember. so, still can take TA off the trans itself. so, still not impossible to use it with aftermarket mounted TAs.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

aftermarket rear isn't a suspension pice. but it might not clear a 9". granted i have never broke a stock rear. then again, it still goes over the passenger side.

for 20hp, i'll just up the pill on the kit.
    No, I said I would gain 20 HP, you would gain even more. I don't expect you to experiment, but do some research (dig deep) and you will find it.

Sorry to the thread starter for getting off of the subject.

dark bowling green
    2000 corvette

No, I said I would gain 20 HP, you would gain even more. I don't expect you to experiment, but do some research (dig deep) and you will find it.

Sorry to the thread starter for getting off of the subject.
    missed that. you did say i.

not really off the subject. it's still about getting a true dual system on his car and making sure he gets the right one.

i've talked this system over with daryl bassani himself. if i was trying for 8s maybe, but he's built plenty of dual 2.5" systems on race cars that propel deep into the 9s. for a street car, that's plenty quick enough. hell having close to 700 rwhp on the street just isn't useful. and there's just not that many on the street daily.

last time i was out at the track, i went 10.85 @ 127 without the 250 direct port. i had since upgraded the intake and heads, but hadn't went to the track before selling it. i miss my car.
    Last edited by mrr23; 10-29-2009 at 07:06 PM.

98' trans am

i went 10.85 @ 127 without the 250 direct port. i had since upgraded the intake and heads, but hadn't went to the track before selling it. i miss my car.
    i miss your car too rob

dark bowling green
    2000 corvette

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    i miss your car too rob
    i miss you missing my car

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

i miss you missing my car
    Did you see the picture of Shady that is a sticky in the mod forum?

dark bowling green
    2000 corvette

nope

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information