Black
    1999 Camaro Z/28

Exclamation True Duals..or Catback?

Im looking into buyin a different catback. I now have a Flowmaster cat but was looking at the true duals, sumthin a lil louder....they claim about 20 hp and sound pretty loud. lemme know whatchu think. go with some true duals or maybe somethin like a loud mouth cat?

It has a big wing!

It depends on what your looking for...If you just want a louder tone,I would suggest you go with a different catback..Or a cut-out which would be the cheapest yet loud choice.This is if your keeping your stock manifolds and Y-pipe w/catalytic converters...

Plus if you don't like the cut-out,you can just cap it up and you will be right back to where you started out concerning sound levels...I have never had an LS1 with Flowmaster but,I would bet the cut-out would be louder...Very "mean sounding" is how I would describe the sound of a cut-out.It usually costs me about $50 to get one put in on the I pipe.

As far as I know,most true dual (TDs) set ups are designed for people who have Long tube header set-ups...You didn't mention if you already have LTs or not and wether you have cats or not...A TD set up with LTs would be a VERY high flowing set-up (if not just about the highest flowing).But I have read many people say it does get pretty loud!!That would be your personal call on how much is too much...

www.ls1sounds.com

Try that site out.There are lots of examples to keep you busy for a while...

The loudmouth is loved by many until,you get long tube headers and off road (no cats) Y pipe...Then it becomes a "Love it or Hate it" type of sound...

Another set-up that I have heard quite a bit around here is long tube headers,Off Road Y pipe dumped to a Dynomax bullet muffler (Part# 24222 I think) 3inch in/out....Sounds VERY deep/loud but a good loud...

Good luck!

Mystic Teal
    1998 Z28 M6

Honestly, I would go with TD's. Texas Speed has a dumped system on their website for around $400 right now, and you get to choose from I think 3 types of mufflers. True duals will be plenty loud for you but resonance can be an issue if they are dumped. If you don't want to go with TD's, I personally would suggest the GMMG system.

I have a flowstopper with a cutout, and it sounds pretty good, but you can tell it's restricting quite a bit, even with the cutout open. I plan on putting in duals as soon as I get out of school for the summer.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

here's a dyno comparison i did on the wife's car. car has bassani headers and catted y-pipe with borla 3" adjustable catback. i removed the borla and installed the bassani tru-duals to the cats.

Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

Black
    1999 Camaro Z/28

Alright cool thanks for the info guys. I think i might end up goin with the true duals. I don't have long tubes yet but there are on there way. I kind of figured it would be one of the highest flowing set-ups and pretty loud. Don't have no cats now n don't plan to put em on unless it's too loud. but if anyone else has sum info on what they will do help me out.

Black
    2000 Camaro SS

Over the axle true duals would be a great. Truly the best way to go. I wouldn't have any other type of exhaust on my car. it

Quote Originally Posted by mrr23
    here's a dyno comparison i did on the wife's car. car has bassani headers and catted y-pipe with borla 3" adjustable catback. i removed the borla and installed the bassani tru-duals to the cats.

Do you know if the Bassani Bolts up to 3" collectors on hooker long tubes? I noticed on your site the pics are shown with it bolted onto the stock cats

Also do you know the inlet and outlet size on the muffler?

Thread Information