Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Are true duals better than catbacks?

This is a discussion on Are true duals better than catbacks? within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; mines pretty much a bolt on car with a hotcam...

pewter
    2000 camaro ss

mines pretty much a bolt on car with a hotcam

Pewter
    99 Z/28

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    A 4" y-pipe has supported 500rwhp 346ci.
    Duals sound like the car has a pair.
    <Dual owner
    true that! if i ever find the time to figure out how to upload a vid, i have a stock ls1 with ceramic pacesetters/sweet thunder bullets. its awesome when i "pass" somebody on the highway, it doesnt scream it roars lol

Red
    1999 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by tatertot91 View Post
    If you don't mind the smell of gas and the car being loud almost all the time then yes a true dual system would be better. It all depends on muffler choice really how loud it is. If you really want to go big get true duals over the axle, its not cheap though. After its all said and done it's not gonna matter as much unless your making big HP numbers.
    Do True Duals over the axle smell of gas like the before the axle setup, also is it a bit Quieter?

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Quote Originally Posted by Sfgore_21 View Post
    Do True Duals over the axle smell of gas like the before the axle setup, also is it a bit Quieter?
    It only smells of gas if you don't have efficient cats or a car that runs rich.

Red
    1999 Trans Am WS6

Thanks! i just want to find out because i found a shop that will run true duals for me from headers back and over axle for around 1300 bucks, but i have no idea what kind of headers or mufflers he will be using. i am making a trip tomorrow to the shop so he can take a look at my car. is there anything i should know or ask?

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Thanks! i just want to find out because i found a shop that will run true duals for me from headers back and over axle for around 1300 bucks, but i have no idea what kind of headers or mufflers he will be using. i am making a trip tomorrow to the shop so he can take a look at my car. is there anything i should know or ask?
    For $1300 that better be mandrel bent, I don't care what excuses he uses if he doesn't. Usually a 2.5" is the biggest you can go over the axle and bassani make a kit that goes over the axle. Anything bigger than a bullet muffler would be good, my magnaflow bullets were to loud and I put cats on them to quit it down, it also cleaned up the tone a lot.

http://www.bassani.com/part/5798RS5
    Last edited by c5z28; 04-20-2010 at 10:31 AM.

Red
    1999 Trans Am WS6

[quote=c5z28;2308103]For $1300 that better be mandrel bent, I don't care what excuses he uses if he doesn't. Usually a 2.5" is the biggest you can go over the axle and bassani make a kit that goes over the axle. Anything bigger than a bullet muffler would be good, my magnaflow bullets were to loud and I put cats on them to quit it down, it also cleaned up the tone a lot.

Thats a sweet set up right there.
    you think i would be over paying in your opinion?
    Last edited by Sfgore_21; 04-20-2010 at 08:28 PM.

2010 Nissan Sentra SR dd
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

My dad was telling me to just get rid of the cats if I get the true duals done. Is this a good idea?

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Thats a sweet set up right there.
    you think i would be over paying in your opinion?
    Please delete the ls1tech link in your quote, just got some ink for that, thanks.
    Just re-read your quote if it includes headers that can be a pretty good deal and if he is installing them that usually cost roughly $300 to do, again depends on what header brand he uses, craftsmanship of the x-pipe, and mufflers used. I would ask all these question before forking down $1300, if you seem to eager he knows he can get what he wants.
    Quote Originally Posted by KnightmareWS6 View Post
    My dad was telling me to just get rid of the cats if I get the true duals done. Is this a good idea?
    If you get quality hi-flo's power loss is minimal if at all. Depending on the muffler you get you might be happy w/o them or you may find you went to radical (like I did) and get cats to quiet it down.
    when I first did mine it ended at the axle no cats, just bullets

I whore this vid to much

2010 Nissan Sentra SR dd
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

I'll have to check out the vid later. I'm stuck in class right now, lol. But thanks for the info.

Red
    1999 Trans Am WS6

[QUOTE=c5z28;2308555]Please delete the ls1tech link in your quote, just got some ink for that, thanks.
    Just re-read your quote if it includes headers that can be a pretty good deal and if he is installing them that usually cost roughly $300 to do, again depends on what header brand he uses, craftsmanship of the x-pipe, and mufflers used. I would ask all these question before forking down $1300, if you seem to eager he knows he can get what he wants.

Sorry about that. Here's what happen this morning i got there and the guy it talk to of course wasn't there so they couldn't give me a quote on the True duals. so i asked if they could find a Chamber Cat back like GMMG they had no clue what i was talking about so i showed them a pic after about a half of an hour they sent me to a custom Exhaust place the guy there told me he could run true duals but he really didn't like the way it looks on our type of cars. He had a GT 500 then he started pushing Flowmaster on me. i called around after that and every custom Exhaust place push Flowmaster urrgggg i was frustrated. anyways one guy said he could install a Magnaflow for around 425 + tax and about 30 to 40 bucks for Quad Tips. Then i got a text from a guy who was selling a Borla Exhaust Used of course it has around 60 K on it and would need the Exhaust tips for 100.00 bucks so i was thinking 100 bucks for a borla? well if i can get away with that in the mean time untill i find the right place and price wouldn't be bad. What would you guys think?

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

[quote=Sfgore_21;2309227]
    Please delete the ls1tech link in your quote, just got some ink for that, thanks.

1.Sorry about that. Here's what happen this morning i got there and the guy it talk to of course wasn't there so they couldn't give me a quote on the True duals. so i asked if they could find a Chamber Cat back like GMMG they had no clue what i was talking about so i showed them a pic after about a half of an hour they sent me to a custom Exhaust place the guy there told me he could run true duals but he really didn't like the way it looks on our type of cars. He had a GT 500 then he started pushing Flowmaster on me. i called around after that and every custom Exhaust place push Flowmaster urrgggg i was frustrated. anyways one guy said he could install a Magnaflow for around 425 + tax and about 30 to 40 bucks for Quad Tips. Then i got a text from a guy who was selling a Borla Exhaust Used of course it has around 60 K on it and would need the Exhaust tips for 100.00 bucks so i was thinking 100 bucks for a borla? well if i can get away with that in the mean time untill i find the right place and price wouldn't be bad. What would you guys think?
    1.No need, it was my bad, i'll pm links next time
    2. Borla originally has 3 plates that either make the exhaust go through the muffler to just an open hole before the muffler. If you get the plates and the tips you could make a small profit on it. Look on the other site for used dual systems. I have seen them complete w/ stainless headers for at or less than the price you were quoted

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

I vote for true duals. See sig for details...
    67 Camaro: K-K + 797-z (look it up), 454/Th400/4.10 12-bolt = 6mpg, PS/PDB/PW tilt, tach, gauges...

2005 Corvette LS2/M6 Magnetic Red Metallic (What else would it be?) w/ Cashmere interior

2002 Z28: NBM/Tan, MTI smooth lid, smooth bellows, !AIR, !cats, 1-3/4" QTP SS LT's, 2-1/2" TD's with X-pipe, MagnaFlows dumped at axle, custom welded SFC's, MidWest Chassis body mount adjustable T/A, 3400 stall, 3.23 gears (was 2.73). Tuned: 343rwhp/357rwt (before TD's). Best: 12.559 @ 108+, 1.73 60' @ 3500' DA w/MT ET Street DR's.

Carbon footprint? CLOWN SHOE!

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    I vote for true duals. See sig for details...
    Yah but where are the sound clips?

Red
    1999 Trans Am WS6

[quote=c5z28;2309273]
    1.No need, it was my bad, i'll pm links next time
    2. Borla originally has 3 plates that either make the exhaust go through the muffler to just an open hole before the muffler. If you get the plates and the tips you could make a small profit on it. Look on the other site for used dual systems. I have seen them complete w/ stainless headers for at or less than the price you were quoted
    here is a Pic and yeah he has the 3 plates.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

[quote=Sfgore_21;2309292]

here is a Pic and yeah he has the 3 plates.
    Click for full size
    Yep that looks used allright. For a $100 you can definitely get your money back if you want to sell it later. Some corsa clones would look good on that.

Red
    1999 Trans Am WS6

[quote=c5z28;2309300]

Yep that looks used allright. For a $100 you can definitely get your money back if you want to sell it later. Some corsa clones would look good on that.
    I have to see how much shipping is but i might take it at 100 buck plus shipping 100 maybe 150 and thats high imo that is a rough deal to pass on.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

True duals with spiral flow mufflers is not a bad choice

DK. Blue Metallic
    2002 SS Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by tatertot91 View Post
    Flowmaster Single Chambers
    10 Series
    if i ever go tru-duals ,those are the mufflers i want !! that TA sound sweet !!

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Yah but where are the sound clips?
    Sound clip! Hell, I'm old. I don't even have a digital camera.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information