Black, Red
    01 Z28, 05 Z71

Truck or Vette accessory drive?

My car is a 01 Camaro and my truck is a 05 Silverado. I would like to see what I see under the hood of the truck, under the hood of the car. I absolutely detest removing/installing F body alternators for obvious reasons and would like to put it on top of the P/S pump like it the truck. I have observed that the truck drive is almost identical to the car with the exception of the bracket that holds the alternator and P/S pump. I noticed through google image search that Vettes have a similar set up to the truck but with low pro water pump, different looking idlers/tensioners, and reversing the A/C drive to the front of the crank pulley. That set up seems nice but it looks pricey everywhere I have seen one for sale. Am I dreaming or could it be so easy as to acquire a truck bracket from a salvage yard and replace my alternator with a truck one and be done with it or is it a much more involved swap?

I have also seen on an F body, the alternator sitting high on the passenger's side above the A/C compressor. I am unfamiliar with what kind of vehicle this set up comes in or even if it is some kind of custom set up but I think it would be much more ideal for any situation (especially motor mount installs).

Water has splashed on both the car and the truck and fried both of their alternators but luckily I have them both on lifetime warranty and could care less. I'm just looking to make the vehicle a little bit easier to work on in any given situation so I don't have to remove 75% of the flesh from the back of my hands to do such a simple task as an alternator swap. I'm not looking to spend a lot of money on this project so hopefully all the things I need to perform this swap can be gotten from a salvage yard.

Thanks in advance for any help/input

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

I don't personally think moving it is worth it. The f body alternator is extremely easy to remove. It took me all of 15 minutes or less. But if putting it where you mentioned putting helps out to each their own. Good luck. I am interested in the results regardless.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

Black, Red
    01 Z28, 05 Z71

If it takes you 15 minute, then you need to come do mine from now on. It takes me 15 minutes to get the elbow bracket off the back of it and 20 minute of playing Plinko with the side of the engine trying to find a hole big enough to get it out of once it's loose. I found out the truck bracket won't even let the hood shut but there's a company called KWiK performance that makes a bracket that the alternator and P/S pump trade places with each other and it's only $287. There is a much cheaper bracket also available through them that relocates the A/C compressor to high on the passenger's side and runs off the same belt as everything else.

Truck accessory setup isn't doable on the 4th gen unless you want to run the truck style intake and cut a hole in the hood.

The truck style intake and truck accessory drive are designed to compliment each other. Without the throttle body up that high it wouldn't clear.

Vette accessory would be your only hope, but even that isn't worth the hassle or the expense. You'll get into other possible issues to work out too like the wire harness not reaching, AC lines not reaching, and who knows what else. Probably opening a can of worms.

Black, Red
    01 Z28, 05 Z71

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Truck accessory setup isn't doable on the 4th gen unless you want to run the truck style intake and cut a hole in the hood.

The truck style intake and truck accessory drive are designed to compliment each other. Without the throttle body up that high it wouldn't clear.

Vette accessory would be your only hope, but even that isn't worth the hassle or the expense. You'll get into other possible issues to work out too like the wire harness not reaching, AC lines not reaching, and who knows what else. Probably opening a can of worms.

The thing I mentioned in the precious post is a single bracket that switch the location of the alternator and P/S pump. It all hooks up just as it did before with shorter high pressure hose for the P/S pump and cutting a few inches off the return line. To swap to a Vette set up, the crank pulley, water pump, A/C compressor, tensioner and idler pulleys have to be swapped out. That is a can of worms

Quote Originally Posted by Z28dryva View Post
    The thing I mentioned in the precious post is a single bracket that switch the location of the alternator and P/S pump. It all hooks up just as it did before with shorter high pressure hose for the P/S pump and cutting a few inches off the return line. To swap to a Vette set up, the crank pulley, water pump, A/C compressor, tensioner and idler pulleys have to be swapped out. That is a can of worms
    That sounds like aftermarket stuff. For that I would look into Kwik Performance. That's who I used for a retro swap to relocate the AC compressor, while still being able to use the rest of the factory accessory drive.

They might have something that would work for you.

Black, Red
    01 Z28, 05 Z71

Kinda like what I said in post 3......

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

I personally would like to see a pic or link for this type of setup.

I greatly loath where gm put the ps pump and alternator.

Kinda like what I said in post 3......
    Sounds like you answered your own question then.

Decent quality and prices aren't bad. I'm happy with mine.

Black/ Silver

If it takes you 15 minute, then you need to come do mine from now on. It takes me 15 minutes to get the elbow bracket off the back of it and 20 minute of playing Plinko with the side of the engine trying to find a hole big enough to get it out of once it's loose. I found out the truck bracket won't even let the hood shut but there's a company called KWiK performance that makes a bracket that the alternator and P/S pump trade places with each other and it's only $287. There is a much cheaper bracket also available through them that relocates the A/C compressor to high on the passenger's side and runs off the same belt as everything else.
    I would do it but I live really far from you . Now if it were to trade places to trade places with the PS pump like you said that might be cool. I would definitely like to see that.

Black, Red
    01 Z28, 05 Z71

Here ya goisocolor1-180x272.jpgkwik_accessory_drive_dimensions-380x285.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Second pic shows the A/C bracket you can install also to get everything on one belt and make room for turbo piping or whatever

Black/ Silver

Here ya goisocolor1-180x272.jpgkwik_accessory_drive_dimensions-380x285.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Second pic shows the A/C bracket you can install also to get everything on one belt and make room for turbo piping or whatever
    I saw those pictures, what I meant was it actually done, not just a drawing or a rendering.

Quote Originally Posted by 98TransAmWs-6 View Post
    I saw those pictures, what I meant was it actually done, not just a drawing or a rendering.
    Yes it's actually been done. You see it more often in retro swaps since the LS swaps have gotten so popular. Hit some classic car shows, this setup is very popular with the street rod guys where frame width is limited, so they run all accessories up high. Exactly my situation with the AC compressor so I used this kit to move it up top. Everything else on the truck accessories (6.0 vortec) was already up high for me and worked fine.

You won't find it in a 4th gen because frankly it's not necessary, they already have an accessory system that works and functions perfectly. Not to mention, since the alternator and AC compressor get pretty darn high with these setups, it might cause hood clearance issues (especially the alternator) because the 4th gens have such a low hood line. Might explain why GM mounted them down low in the first place.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 12-30-2012 at 10:25 AM.

Thread Information