Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tru dual system

Sk8d85

Tru dual system

I want to put tru duals on my 01 camaro ss. What is a good setup or what is decent that i can use from headers all the way back. Also how much is it going to run me. I want something that will sound bad ass where people practically orgasim lol.

Black
    99 SS

there is a shop by my house that does this, it costs about $1,000 or so depending on how much custom work has to be doen

Black, Blue
    07 TBSS, 07 GSXR1000

If you have headers my buddy bought a small x-pipe and put cut outs in it and run 1 chamber Flowmasters and turn downs. I think he said even with the cutouts you looking about 5-6 hundred. Without cutouts your looking about 3-4 hundred.
    Last edited by BIG D's SS; 10-06-2005 at 01:20 PM.

Sk8d85
    My car is all stock. So i would need the whole bang.. but do you have any information that could be useful as in whats good out there

Black, Blue
    07 TBSS, 07 GSXR1000

His car sounds awesome. He has Hooker Headers, tru duals, with electric cutouts, Flowmaster 1 chambers, and turn downs. His car sounds even better with the cam, but it sounded good before the cam.

Sk8d85
    I dont want to sound weird but what are electric cutouts, Flowmaster 1 chambers, and turn downs? And also what headers fit an x pipe

Black, Blue
    07 TBSS, 07 GSXR1000

Cutouts are a way to let the exhaust open up before the mufflers to make it sound more like straight headers. 1 chamber Flowmaster are just the bare minimum muffler to say that you have them. The x pipe is just a way to combine each pipe to help equalize the back pressure between sides. There may be more to it, but that is the basics. Turn downs are just when the pipes come out of the mufflers it turns down to the ground and not blowing on the rearend.
    3 inch Chambered Catback.

Pewter
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6

If you need the whole set-up including headers check into this:

Hooker headers, no cats, flowtech x-pipe, most any bullet mufflers (flowmaster, dynomax etc) and turn downs before the axle
    You will save money and improve flow by not replacing the cats and just removing them Also you can either pick up cat simulators or have a shop delete the CAT SES code.

I say hooker headers because I believe they are the best bang for the dollar, great quality and no fitment issues.

Generic Cost:
    Hooker headers coats $600
    Flowtech x-pipe $100
    Bullet mufflers $100
    Turn downs $40.
    Cat delete code or sims about $50

This set-up is a full exhaust turn before the rear axle, the price will vary depending on shop and parts you choose. If you want to go over the rear axle then your look at dropping more change.

Also remember if you plan on making your car a turbo car, true dual is a waste, because you will being go back to single for the turbo setup. That’s the only thing that stops me from going dual is that I want a true front mounted ls1 turbo z28, not some STS rear mount turbo.

Collectors Edition Yellow
    2002 Pontiac Trans AM WS6

I have true duals on my T/A and with nice headers the power gain is really nice. I have pacesetter lt headers, no cats, TSP rumbler true dual X system and modified to go under the axel and out the back all mandrel bent...

Here's the price layout:

Remembr these prices DONT include labor cuz i did the work myself...

Pacesetter LT- $399 + $10 shipping
    TSP true dual X system w/ 2 18" billet rumbler mufflers- $419 free shipping
    Fabricated 3" mandrel duel pipes under axel and out back- $450 installed
    No cats- Priceless (there's some power in life you just can't buy, for everything else there's mastercard) lol sorry i hadda be gay

Okkkkk... So the grand total is $1279 approximatly for the whole things and all these put together should net you about 30RWHP which i think is alright with me!!!

Good luck with getting everything, if you need some websites where i got the parts from just let me know!!

Sk8d85
    Could i get some sites please? Also To get the exhaust coming out the rear end after the x-pipe looking like normal exhaust has to be built by the shop? Also since i do drive it on the road i put around 7K a year on it so i need something that will pass emissions so having cats on it unlike yours would be a good thing right? Im trying to decide going to tru dual or just go with headers a new y-pipe and magnaflow exhaust. would that be a good setup if i do not choose tru dual?

Black
    99 SS

yes it would still be a good set up, depends on how LOUD you like you car, with headers and a new Y pipe and Magna it will sound really good.but it wont be duals.

Sk8d85
    I would like it to sound like the old muscle cars. I just dont know how tru duals or the magnaflow system sounds in real life. I heard clips online but thats not how its really going to sound. But i am also concerned for emisions testing so i need a nice setup thta sounds awesome that will also pass emission. Thats why i am really looking for lol. thanks for your help everyone i still need more lol i cant decide

Pewter
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6

you live in woodridge IL, so check out ls1speed.com (speed inc) they build custom true dual.

Pewter
    all bore 370 Trans Am

i paid about 650 for my headers and duals (with cats) too bad i had to chop them up texas-speed.com has a dumped system they sell. a local shop should be able to do it for about 4-500 when its all said and done. If you have to do emissions and dont have a hookup and also dont plan on doing longtubes, id look at the bassani dual exhaust system. it goes all the way back.

blackbird01
    look at the x pipe system for sale in the "parts for sale" thread

Quote Originally Posted by ninobrn99
    i paid about 650 for my headers and duals (with cats) too bad i had to chop them up texas-speed.com has a dumped system they sell. a local shop should be able to do it for about 4-500 when its all said and done. If you have to do emissions and dont have a hookup and also dont plan on doing longtubes, id look at the bassani dual exhaust system. it goes all the way back.
    You could have it modified like mine. I torched off the dumps and bent 2 3" mandrel pipes to go UNDER the axel (clearence is fine) and go out the back and the extra pipes were $400 only because they were mandrel and T-304 but if you want regular piping then it was $185 which isnt bad at all and your getting a full 3" front to back with a 3" X-pipe and no restriction at all because it's all mandrel. I'll post pictures tommrow to show everyone how well the project came out and how clean and clearence good it is!!

Oh and if you didnt know i have the TSP rumbler True X system comming off 1 3/8" Pacesetter LTs

Black
    2000 Camaro SS

[QUOTE=Sk8d85]I would like it to sound like the old muscle cars. I just dont know how tru duals or the magnaflow system sounds in real life. I heard clips online but thats not how its really going to sound. But i am also concerned for emisions testing so i need a nice setup thta sounds awesome that will also pass emission. Thats why i am really looking for lol. thanks for your help everyone i still need more lol i cant decide[/QUOTE

I have true duals on my 2000 SS that goes over the axle and exits out the rear from beneath the bumper in the stock location. I have that old muscle car sound but without the loudness. I have the stock manifolds, stock cats., and straight though, noise cancelling MagnaFlow mufflers, one on each side of the rear tub. I picked up 5 percent in horsepower with just the addition of the dual exhaust system. Other than the duals, my car is stock. We have a very strict emissions test system here in NC (OBD 2 )and I have had no trouble passing the emissions testing that is conducted once each year. Dual exhaust is the only way to go for sound, power, gas milage, and just over all performance.
    JEB

Pewter
    all bore 370 Trans Am

the reason i had to chop them was because they wouldnt fit with the new torque arm i installed. the new setup isnt bad either. the car is quiet!!!

Sk8d85
    With headers if im going to drive just on the street for now what would be best, short tube or long tube. And which brands besides hooker is a great deal?? I heard long tubes are illegal to drive on the street, why?

Also say i say screw the law and go with long tubes, how would my emissions test go lol?

Thread Information