Trap Door Panel

This is a discussion on Trap Door Panel within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Does anyone make an aftermarket trap door panel made for a 1998 camaro? I just got my Racetronix pump in ...

Artic White
    1998 Chevrolet Camaro Z28

Trap Door Panel

Does anyone make an aftermarket trap door panel made for a 1998 camaro? I just got my Racetronix pump in an im fixing to do the mod and just wanted to know if there was an aftermarket panel that fits in the factory stamped channels on either side of where the trap door would be cut. I can probably go to a junk yard and cut a piece out of a camaro but I don't have a sawzall to do it really. Just was looking on the internet but no luck. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Speeddemon24_7; 03-29-2014 at 05:27 PM.

[B]1998 Camaro Z28 [B]M6 SLP Air Lid, K&N, SLP Smooth Bellow, SLP Loudmouth exhaust, MSD wires, NGK Plugs, LS6 Clutch, Pressure Plate, Flywheel, Hurst Short Throw Shifter, Skip-Shift, Clear Corner & Side Markers, White Face Gauges, 15% tint & 18" Chrome Y2K's with 285's

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

That is a helluva a good idea. Fiberglass would even do the trick. I helped another member on here do his trap door. I just used some rolled aluminum from Home Depot. Screwed, caulked and painted. Get it wide enough to fit OVER and COVER the channels on both sides. Be careful when you cut. We used a dremel tool with a cut off wheel. It is best to cut on the top and outside fo the channels. This way, you are cutting the channels out. By cutting this way, you are moving your cutting implement higher up in height from the gas tank, and lessen the chance of cutting a line or hose to the point of having a zero chance of cutting something you shouldn't.There are a bunch of hoses and wires just under the panel. Also, be very careful with your screws. Same reason. You are going to want to research photos on the internet. The metal gas tanks have the fuel pump in a different location than the plastic ones. Plastic has the fuel pump at the back fo the car, metal, IIRC, have it at the front.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I am not aware of a vendor that makes a trap door panel.

Artic White

@ az gt eater thanks for the info. I didn't know the 98 and the 99 up were in different locations. Im glad you told me because I had a Picture of all the measurements on where to cut and after going back and looking at it it was for a 99. I will start researching Pics of a 98 install now.

@ pajeff02 thanks for the info during my research I had saw a post by a user named Stealth Formula on either this site or LS1tech that said he bought his panel from an aftermarket vendor but couldn't remember the name of the company. That's why I was asking just to see if anyone knew of one.

Artic White

And if anyone has a picture of the measurements on where to cut for a 98 metal tank go ahead and post them I would love to see them thanks.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

If you Google "Camaro Fuel Pump Trap Door" for pics you'll find plenty -- that's something I have looked at in the past and there are pics that include measurements as well.

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

Agreed with Jeff. I have the pics on my computer, but don't do photobucket. This site doesn't support posting directly from my computer.

Artic White

K thanks guys

Thread Information