Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

is this too good to be true

This is a discussion on is this too good to be true within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by Mr. Luos $550 more for 5 letters? I doubt it. I am thinking material used. I love ...

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    $550 more for 5 letters?

I doubt it.
    I am thinking material used.

I love my Kooks. They look exactly the same as they did when they got here 3 years ago.
    I'm not saying Kooks aren't good, or even the best, because they are, but I couldn't justify spending $600 more on them over the others to only see a very small increase in power.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

I don't think the money is for the power.

It is because they will outlast the car.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS Vert

$550 more for 5 letters?

I doubt it.

I love my Kooks. They look exactly the same as they did when they got here 3 years ago.
    Amen. Good headers are stupid expensive, and worth every dime of it at the same time.

Nothing wrong with bargain headers either, but you get what you pay for if you are planning to keep your car for long.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

$550 more for 5 letters?

I doubt it.

Thats actually the only difference, the company selling them. I have the XS/SS Stainless Headers on my car, and I can tell you first and that the quality is excellent. And by that I mean the metal used, the welds, the fitment, the finish, the flange and primary thickness, and the diameter of the tubing. A good visual inspection will easily decipher a cheap brand from a good one, and these would easily pass for $700 headers. The metal used is 321 (aircraft) grade stainless, unlike the cheap 409 stainless used on the $900 SLP headers. And these headers fit perfectly - no removing the steering shaft, no jacking or lowering the motor, no clearance issues with the block or other components. The drivers side collector is angled upwards, requiring the exhaust to be bent at a slight angle to avoid contacting the floor, but other than, perfect fitment. I've heard horror stories from plenty of the name brand companies (Kooks, ect) where the headers contacted the block or other stationary components and had to be sent back, so I think the exhaust floor clearance is a minor issue overall.

As for the headers in this thread, I can't speak for them. Apparently they are a copy of the XS/SS headers that I have, so unless someone has bought them and can comment, nobody really knows.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    As for the headers in this thread, I can't speak for them. Apparently they are a copy of the XS/SS headers that I have, so unless someone has bought them and can comment, nobody really knows.
    I apparently bought them and I'd have to agree with you completely. The quality is phenomenal.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

$550 more for 5 letters?

I doubt it.

Actually, they are made from a cleaner stainless than KOOKS uses.

they are made in China. That is why they are so cheap as in price, not as in quailty which is very good.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Thats actually the only difference, the company selling them. I have the XS/SS Stainless Headers on my car, and I can tell you first and that the quality is excellent. And by that I mean the metal used, the welds, the fitment, the finish, the flange and primary thickness, and the diameter of the tubing. A good visual inspection will easily decipher a cheap brand from a good one, and these would easily pass for $700 headers. The metal used is 321 (aircraft) grade stainless, unlike the cheap 409 stainless used on the $900 SLP headers. And these headers fit perfectly - no removing the steering shaft, no jacking or lowering the motor, no clearance issues with the block or other components. The drivers side collector is angled upwards, requiring the exhaust to be bent at a slight angle to avoid contacting the floor, but other than, perfect fitment. I've heard horror stories from plenty of the name brand companies (Kooks, ect) where the headers contacted the block or other stationary components and had to be sent back, so I think the exhaust floor clearance is a minor issue overall.

No, they are the same manufacturer.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 9t8z28 View Post
    Actually, they are made from a cleaner stainless than KOOKS uses.

they are made in China. That is why they are so cheap as in price, not as in quailty which is very good.
    I believe mine were built in North Carolina though.

From the website:

"SSAutochrome Inc. is a family owned and operated business located in the heart of North Carolina.
    We carry a large selection of Race Related performance items for the Import racer, and off-roader"

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

I believe mine were built in North Carolina though.

From the website:

"SSAutochrome Inc. is a family owned and operated business located in the heart of North Carolina.
    We carry a large selection of Race Related performance items for the Import racer, and off-roader"
    Nope, made in China. I know who they get them from.

white, white and pewter
    Rip99SSA4,74Z28M4,02SSM6

Quote Originally Posted by blk_jaws View Post
    I DONT SKIMP ON NOTHING, I already have headers. I just came across these and thought I would see what people thought
    Well, I didnt spend $14k on a car to add shitty upgrades to it!
    There pretty DAMN expensive arent they? I never read reviews on them so I was in the dark about ground clearance and stuff like that! But I did pay a lot of money on em so I would'nt say a shitty upgrade if you dont know all the facts.
    Damn it, Im not saying there good Im just saying at the time I wanted the best and I thought they were the best so I paid a bunch of money for em. I know there crap now that I have em. That was the first SLP product that I bought so how was I supposed to know. Give me a damn break
    Im not bashing these headers asshole, I was the one started the thread trying to find out about them, jerk. Im just trying to get these jerks off my back about owning SLP Longtubes.
    Not one damn time did I say anything bad about the headers that this thread is about, I was the one trying to find information about them, can you not read? ass whipe!
    Can anyone not read, Im not bashing these headers. I asked about them and other people started talking BS about them. Start at the beginning of this thread and read it all, god!

dude dude dude, no one here is making fun on you, they were just asking simple questions, you need to grow some thicker skin son, this is the internet not high school, chillax, throw back a cold one and open yourself up to learning instead of defending everything.

Red
    2001 Trash Can

Quote Originally Posted by 9t8z28 View Post
    Nope, made in China. I know who they get them from.
    The truth comes out!

lol. they are made in China. That is why they are so cheap as in price, not as in quailty which is very good.

Stockitie Stock Stock 95camaroZNC's Avatar

Red
    1999 Trans Am

Psh as long as its a gain over stock wouldnt that be a improvement as far as 95% of us are concerned?

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by 95camaroZNC View Post
    Psh as long as its a gain over stock wouldnt that be a improvement as far as 95% of us are concerned?
    Damn right. And they appear to perform just as good if not better than the alternatives...

Black 99 Z71
    Red 01 Z28 M6

I was thinking about ordering these headers this winter, do they sell an o/r y pipe to go along with it? If not, I will probably go with the Pacesetter y pipe. But for 179 bucks, I think thier worth a try!
    2001 Z28 M6
    SLP Loudmouth 1 catback, functional ram air hood, Pro 5.0 shifter, free mods, HSW wet nitrous kit

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information