Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    2000 C5 Torch Red

"ticking" me off.

What up guys. I recently installed LT headers with the bolt together TSP 3" Catted Y-pipe and got a tune from Frost. Problem now is that my car sounds like an F'n sewing machine.

It's always been a little loud which I've taken for piston slap, but this sound is freakin loud as hell (I'm guessing enhanced by the headers) and gets louder once the car is warmed up

I can pop my hood and it's quiet as can be. Stand next to the rear and it sounds fine. Same when I'm over by the passenger side front tire laying on the ground (kinda faint). If I lay down by the driver side collector where it meets with the catted Y, holy shit I'm making a fucking quilt.

Does anyone have any ideas on what this could be, or if something might be loose or even things to check. Sofar, i've only scraped once since the install and that was on the driver side cat, but Everything is tight and nothing looks messed up.

Thanks

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Exhuast leak sounds just as you are describing.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS Vert

Aluminum exhaust tape is your friend, worked great on my exhaust leaks.

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Find the leak and fix it, May want to invest in some Exhaust tape and probly a band clamp or two...
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by chuckie669 View Post
    What up guys. I recently installed LT headers with the bolt together TSP 3" Catted Y-pipe and got a tune from Frost. Problem now is that my car sounds like an F'n sewing machine.

It's always been a little loud which I've taken for piston slap, but this sound is freakin loud as hell (I'm guessing enhanced by the headers) and gets louder once the car is warmed up

I can pop my hood and it's quiet as can be. Stand next to the rear and it sounds fine. Same when I'm over by the passenger side front tire laying on the ground (kinda faint). If I lay down by the driver side collector where it meets with the catted Y, holy shit I'm making a fucking quilt.

Does anyone have any ideas on what this could be, or if something might be loose or even things to check. Sofar, i've only scraped once since the install and that was on the driver side cat, but Everything is tight and nothing looks messed up.

Thanks
    This is very interesting because mine does the exact same thing. Quiet in the engine bay and the rear, but if you lay right behind the passenger side front wheel, it ticks like crazy. Sounds worse when its warm.

I've checked for exhaust leaks countless times, the flange to the head is tight and sealed and the collector is securely mated to the rest of the exhaust.

I've concluded that its a lifter tick, and the LT headers are amplify the sound of it due to their design. The exaust shop that I had my duals done at concluded the same thing.

2000 C5 Torch Red

Thanks for the tips guys. Since it seems loudest where the driver header mates to the Y, I'll check there first. TSP Y pipes have some good band clamps and the exhaust pieces overlap eachother before being clamped so I was hesitant to believe that it was a simple exhaust leak.

If it were to be lifter tick on the driver side, is that anything I need to worry about blowing up on me going down the street. I would assume not, but shit, might as well ask.

2000 C5 Torch Red

Well, tried readjusting the band clamp, but the tick is still there. I got brave and slid my head under there while the car is running and I think it might be coming from the header. That means either the header has a leak at the bottom of the gasket, hole somewhere in the driver header, or lifter noise. Will let you know if I can find anything out.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

If it were to be lifter tick on the driver side, is that anything I need to worry about blowing up on me going down the street. I would assume not, but shit, might as well ask.
    Not really. Lifter tick just indicates a worn or sticking lifter, shouldn't cause anything to blow up though

Black
    1998 Trans Am WS-6

Thanks
    i have this problem too on my mac mids. i went under there with the car running and its not leaking at the connection from the header to the downpipe because i felt all around it with my hand so its gotta be from a leaky header gasket. just havent had time to get a new gasket and fix it.

2000 C5 Torch Red

It appears that it was a loose header bolt. Went back thru and snugged them back down and the sound has diminished. I wasn't positive on torquing the bolts down since I didn't want to overtighten, but it appears to have gotten the sound almost back to normal.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

It appears that it was a loose header bolt. Went back thru and snugged them back down and the sound has diminished. I wasn't positive on torquing the bolts down since I didn't want to overtighten, but it appears to have gotten the sound almost back to normal.
    What would be the torque specs?

2000 C5 Torch Red

Center working your way out, 11 ft lbs first pass and 18 ft lbs second pass.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

THX,

Now if my damn parts would ship....

Got any sound clips or a vid yet?

2000 C5 Torch Red

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    THX,

Now if my damn parts would ship....

Got any sound clips or a vid yet?
    No, I haven't really done any of the Video stuff with my car. Just pics from time to time.

2000 C5 Torch Red

Maybe someone from here can help. Rewrote thread with my latest.
    \
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread...67#post2100967

Thread Information