Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Ticking after header install

This is a discussion on Ticking after header install within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; ULTRA COOPER PERMATEX IS YOUR FRIEND!!! I don't care who's gasket it needs a nice ring of Ultra Cooper around ...

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Ultra Cooper!!!

ULTRA COOPER PERMATEX IS YOUR FRIEND!!!

I don't care who's gasket it needs a nice ring of Ultra Cooper around the port on both sides. You'll Never have a leak.

Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

black trans am

if ur still runing egr then u might be runing air check the air valves they go bad and sound like a bad lifter after a while if to them off and droped one or just age will wear them out

TheBigONE

Blue
    2001 Formula

Mine does the same thing. damn annoying Tick. i went through EVERYTHING. checked all my header bolts,fittings and i even double checked the welds. i have mine welded from the header collector to the I pipe, and everything was good. Honestly im pretty damn positive now that it is just Valve train noise, and it in more noticeable now because it resonates down the LT's. i have talked with many other people and they have said the same thing. I didn't have(or never noticed it before) the Ticking noise, but now that i have done my full exhaust once it gets up to operating temp. there is this constant Tick noise that i really annoying.....oh well guess i will just have to get use to it! It hasent affected the performance of my car at all just really annoying!

Now in Summit LT1 Flavor! Y2KArcticSS's Avatar

Summit White
    2016 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by undertow74 View Post
    Mine does the same thing. damn annoying Tick. i went through EVERYTHING. checked all my header bolts,fittings and i even double checked the welds. i have mine welded from the header collector to the I pipe, and everything was good. Honestly im pretty damn positive now that it is just Valve train noise, and it in more noticeable now because it resonates down the LT's. i have talked with many other people and they have said the same thing. I didn't have(or never noticed it before) the Ticking noise, but now that i have done my full exhaust once it gets up to operating temp. there is this constant Tick noise that i really annoying.....oh well guess i will just have to get use to it! It hasent affected the performance of my car at all just really annoying!
    Also check your plugs!!! Make sure they stay tight, I forgot to post up my findings over the weekend on my car. Plug 2 on the left side was halfway backed out somehow!!! and moving, causing the heat shield on the wire to tap on the head... The header bolt I put on that 'solved' my problem only worked for a day, probably because I was working in the vicinity of said plug.... I am so relieved that I caught it before it blew out, I can't afford new heads right now.... I have the weirdest sh!t happen to me, I sware

TheBigONE

Blue
    2001 Formula

yea ill have to check the plugs cus i did my plugs/wires at the same time, but that would be weird as shit if one of my plugs backed out.....i have never seen that happen before....but you say it happened to you so i guess i will have to check. You would think the car would run like crap though with one cylinder possibly misfiring, but then again PCM's now compensate for so much shit it probably just leans it out so you cant even notice

Now in Summit LT1 Flavor! Y2KArcticSS's Avatar

Summit White
    2016 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by undertow74 View Post
    yea ill have to check the plugs cus i did my plugs/wires at the same time, but that would be weird as shit if one of my plugs backed out.....i have never seen that happen before....but you say it happened to you so i guess i will have to check. You would think the car would run like crap though with one cylinder possibly misfiring, but then again PCM's now compensate for so much shit it probably just leans it out so you cant even notice
    I had no codes running whatsoever....well, aside from EGR and the back 2 O2 sensors, but that was from the header install itself.

And when I took the plug wire off, I could twist the plug both ways freely by hand, and wiggle it back and forth............

TheBigONE

Blue
    2001 Formula

hmm interesting.....yea i tuned out the AIR system, and i just moved my rear o2's a little farther down so i would have to tune them out. My car runs fine, but ill check the plugs. the ticking is just so damn annoying thats all. Messing around with those damn plugs isnt fun at all either. such a bitch to work with. so much easier to get to them from under the vehicle, ill just have to wait till i can get it back on a lift...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information