Black
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Tickets for Noise

How many of you got tickets for loudness with LT headers And Ory and what muffler. If you got out of one how. THanks

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

I almost got a ticket for open headers. My dumbass neighbors called the cops but luckily my vehicle was in the driveway so they couldn't do shit. But 'noise' is generally subjective, unless they (cops) have a decibel monitor to make it legitimate. Look up your local laws to find out what the decibel limit is. Most people's cars are actually legal.
    But a 'muffler violation' is not considered a 'moving violation' and can't really get fixed as its usually just punishable by a fine and no points.

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

i haven't been bothered yet, and i have no clue why i haven't been stopped. my car is loud as shit...lol

however, i do pick my battles and don't get on it all the time...
    2018 CTS-V: °°668rwhp/658rwtq°°
    2013 ZL1: °°590rwhp/576rwtq°°
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience."

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

Yeah, just be smart about who's around when you romp on it. Don't draw too much attention to yourself and you should be fine. Cops (should) have better things to do that bother someone for a noisy muffler.

JOSEY FUCKING WALES! Frankthetank's Avatar

Black
    2000 &2002 Z28

I havnt been fucked with yet....but no cats and an TSP rumbler exhaust with a cammed out car and stalled

It wont be long though

TSP Rumbler, LT's, TSP Tqr2, PRC 921 Springs, Comp Lifters, Chromoly 7.4" Pushrods, Titanium Retainers/Seats/Seals, ARP head bolts, BMR full Rear suspension

"I could break a bowling ball with a plastic hammer in a sandbox"

Slower Than a 3rd Gen juiced99ws6's Avatar

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

Quote Originally Posted by BlackLT1Z28 View Post
    Cops (should) have better things to do that bother someone for a noisy muffler.
    hahhahahahaha

ok wait was that not a joke?

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by juiced99ws6 View Post
    hahhahahahaha

ok wait was that not a joke?
    They could be busting one of the millions of meth labs, instead, they want to give a citation for a little too much noise out of a motor vehicle. I'm glad they have their priorities straight.

Black
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

I agree. I am in school to be a police officer i believe that the sound rule is BS becuase motorcycles can be as loud as they want and they dont get stopped

LIGHT PEWTER METALIC
    1999 SS CAMARO

I work at a Hrley dealer and I know more people with loud pipe tickets on bikes than cars but what do you expect out of the communist wealth of Virginia.

Sarge for AAG Emperor hutch1999's Avatar

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

Im my town one state cop gave 6 loud exhaust tickets in one night. All to kids in between the ages of 16 and 20. Im glad our IL tax money has been well spent stopping us criminals with loud exhaust.

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

I don't think they've lowered the crime rates low enough to give a ticket for someone who is going 5 over or someone with an exhaust note that you can hear over your radio at WOT. Some cops are just pricks and some laws are just plain bullshit.

Ross

Black
    2001 Camaro z28

Quote Originally Posted by 1SSWFO View Post
    I work at a Hrley dealer and I know more people with loud pipe tickets on bikes than cars but what do you expect out of the communist wealth of Virginia.
    I agree i live in the communist wealth of virginia too lol. but just look around before stomping on it and you should be fine

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by BlackLT1Z28 View Post
    They could be busting one of the millions of meth labs, instead, they want to give a citation for a little too much noise out of a motor vehicle. I'm glad they have their priorities straight.
    If they would just follow some of those room-temperature-IQ punks playing obnoxiously loud rap music (if you can call it music) in their cars, it would probably lead them right to the meth labs.

00 LS1, WS6, V8 Gremlin
    96 & 98 GTPs, 64 'Cuda

Sadly the tickets seem to be elective, if they're curious about the car or driver they can use that as an excuse. Here in Oklahoma I believe the law doesn't go by dB but is taken as "anything that's louder than the car was stock" - try proving or disproving that!

No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in any manner which will amplify or increase the noise or sound emitted louder than that emitted by the muffler originally installed on the vehicle.

What gets me is most Harley's are louder than spit right off the factory floor.

Of course we've got yet another catchall - driving lights. For ages the law stated the brightest part of the beam, x inches above level ground at y feet etc and I was warned twice despite them being the factory lamps that really do very little. I started carrying a copy of the statute and a tape measure, next time I got stopped I offered to prove they were within the letter of the law, cop got pissed off and wrote me a ticket. Beat it in court though. Since then the law's been amended but I doubt the police are even aware of that.

Oh, and agreed on the 8,000 watt subwoofer nuts.

Thread Information