Spice Red Metallic
    2006 Pontiac GTO

Throttle body spacer and MAF sensor

do these work? anybody running a throttle body spacer or say an SLP 85mm MAF Sensor

BANGIN GEARS>STAB N STEER BLK2KSS's Avatar

TRIPLE BLACK
    2000 CAMARO SS M6 #2100

I don’t think the gain, if any, is worth the coin man. I myself have the slp MAF but I got it along with lots of other basic bolt-ons for a package deal a while back from a friend of mine. He basically sold me like 2 used items for the price of new and gave me like 5-6 more for free with em so I put in on, didn’t notice a difference at all from just the MAF. As for the TB spacer, I wouldn’t even think that it would have as much of a power increase as the MAF and I don’t think the MAF gave any at all so...

Spice Red Metallic
    2006 Pontiac GTO

Quote Originally Posted by BLK2KSS View Post
    I don’t think the gain, if any, is worth the coin man. I myself have the slp MAF but I got it along with lots of other basic bolt-ons for a package deal a while back from a friend of mine. He basically sold me like 2 used items for the price of new and gave me like 5-6 more for free with em so I put in on, didn’t notice a difference at all from just the MAF. As for the TB spacer, I wouldn’t even think that it would have as much of a power increase as the MAF and I don’t think the MAF gave any at all so...
    Thanks, That's what I was looking for. I always thought It wasn't worth it myself, but recently I noticed more folks on here that those mods in their sig's so I thought I'd ask.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Here is the relevant portion of my reply to a MAF question posted yesterday in another thread:

Aftermarket MAF's are also a bad idea on our cars unless you take the time to log its flow characterisitcs and reprogram the PCM's MAF table to match. Per the literature, an aftermarket MAF can alter fueling by as much as 13%, and it usually leans out the engine.

TRIPLE BLACK
    2000 CAMARO SS M6 #2100

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Here is the relevant portion of my reply to a MAF question posted yesterday in another thread:

Aftermarket MAF's are also a bad idea on our cars unless you take the time to log its flow characterisitcs and reprogram the PCM's MAF table to match. Per the literature, an aftermarket MAF can alter fueling by as much as 13%, and it usually leans out the engine.
    Very true... I have the slp MAF and had a bs hypertech tune and my car was running dangerously lean. Although without the hypertech and only the slp MAF it is fine.

Spice Red Metallic
    2006 Pontiac GTO

Thanks guys, that's something I didn't think about. Would it be preferred then to go with a larger MAF if I decide to get at fast intake with a larger throttle body?

TRIPLE BLACK
    2000 CAMARO SS M6 #2100

Quote Originally Posted by BrianH.WS6 View Post
    Thanks guys, that's something I didn't think about. Would it be preferred then to go with a larger MAF if I decide to get at fast intake with a larger throttle body?
    I would say it def wouldnt hurt but Im sure some here will say that it is not needed.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Stock MAF is not a restriction and is good for over 500HP.
    Just leave it alone. Leave the screen as well.
    2008 Trailblazer SS
    Yank PTB3600, Kooks 1 7/8" LT's, 4" intake, E-fans, Magnaflow, Sonnax kit, tranny cooler, tune.
    Lowered, HID's, tinted.

1999 Pontiac Trans Am WS.6 #1747 SOLD
    531.1 RWHP 481.3 FT/Pounds all motor.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

I have personally talked to one of the techs from helix and he said with the ls1 a throttle body spacer is useless b/c of how straight the overall intake system is. They only help systems that have lots of turns, which distort the airflow and the spacer helps make the airflow "more" consistant.

Black
    99 Silverado

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    Stock MAF is not a restriction and is good for over 500HP.
    Just leave it alone. Leave the screen as well.
    What he said! And if you do get to the point of going to an 85mm, the best one to get is the uncalibrated one from GM or paceparts.com and put it in with a tune done at the same time... the ones that are "calibrated" for an F-Body, like the SLP, have a resistor soldered into them that supposedly makes them right for the F-Body... the MAF signal out of them is ugly... can't tell you how many of those resistors I have cut out to tune the car correctly.

GM EFI Tuner
    2002 Trans Am WS6 - 9.41@143mph, #3675, on pump gas and drag radials - sold

black
    1999 camaro SS

what about the TSP 4" maf? no gains will be had by using a 100mm maf if your using a fast 102mm intake for example?

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

Yeah i 2nd the above info. Stock maf is good and dont descreen it, the screen is there to help the maf measure the air by straighting the flow. Also a tb spacer is useless as it is spacing out a dry intake stream. Now on old tbi units or carbs a spacer can be benificial

Thread Information