Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

pewter
    2002 firehawk

throttle body by-pass

Well I've been wondering how to go about doing this and last night when I got home from work I pop the hood and I'm standing there looking at it, at I wonder if it would work to tap into the AC line and have it run through,,,it would keep it cooler than hot coolent...right?, just a thought, see what you guys think

pewter
    2002 firehawk

yeah there's good info on there, alot of links, but I didn't see anything refering to running the ac lines through it instead

rapter34
    well the problem with that is the AC needs to be run for that to work and you are going to loose HP running the AC. also if you are that concerned about the temp than get a lower stat.

pewter
    2002 firehawk

yeah that's true I didn't think about that, and no I'm not concered about temp it was just a thought, thanks though

If you really wanted to get tricky,,,and I'm just thinking outloud here,,,

You could use a bilge pump (ie: from a boat store) and run cold water through it seperately,,,using a cool can packed with ice.

Take some rigging and enginuity but it's do-able. Not sure I would want to go through all the effort though.

It's similar to what GM did with the Typhoon I used to have. It had a water to air intercooler with a bilge pump that worked off a temp sensor. I had the pump hotwired to run when I wanted it to for cooler air intake temps.
    Similar setup would work on our throttle bodies,,,,just not sure it's worth the time and effort.

pewter
    2002 firehawk

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    If you really wanted to get tricky,,,and I'm just thinking outloud here,,,

You could use a bilge pump (ie: from a boat store) and run cold water through it seperately,,,using a cool can packed with ice.

Take some rigging and enginuity but it's do-able. Not sure I would want to go through all the effort though.

It's similar to what GM did with the Typhoon I used to have. It had a water to air intercooler with a bilge pump that worked off a temp sensor. I had the pump hotwired to run when I wanted it to for cooler air intake temps.
    Similar setup would work on our throttle bodies,,,,just not sure it's worth the time and effort.
    yeah it's prob not worth the effort but all I was doing when I poped the hood, hmm I wonder

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

For you that would be a very bad idea in the winter seeing that you are in michigan. The hot coolant is meant to stop the throttle body from stcking open when the temperatures are cold outside. For cali people we usually don't have that problem, but for every one else you should either reconnect in winter or just keep it in the garage to save it from rusting. have fun its an easy mod

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

The throttle body wont ice up or anything unless its alaskian weather. I run mine all winter and we got some icy ass storms down to 5 degrees. Ran like a bat out of hell. No one has really answered the OP question. Ive thought about the freon running through the TB. It would be WAY more trouble than it would be worth. The best thing to do would be get a small fuel pump(15 bucks at autozone) and run coolant through it seperatly. You could even have the coolant lines runs through a box looking device packed with ice. It would work but how much money and creativity are you willing to invest in getting 5-10 HP max... if that...

Last edited by JoshieDoom; 07-26-2008 at 12:16 AM.

It won't ice up,,,,we have had ours done out here in Ohio on my wifes daily driver since new (1997) and drove it everyday. Even with temps here well below zero on some days, and windchills of -20 or more it was never a problem.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

I stand corrected, damn that picture looks cold must be fun to drive in the snow huh?

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird

No it wont happen again. It would spin at idle. I did the best donuts of my life that week.

pewter
    2002 firehawk

yeah I would never run it in winter, stays in garage and I drive my jeep....got have the 4x4, but I'm getting some good ideas...thanks...

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird

If I had a dyno availible I would try the ice and pump idea.

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

I say save your time and spend a little $$$ on something that will give your car some actually hp instead of the "free mods"

Black
    2000 Camaro SS vert

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedAddict38 View Post
    I say save your time and spend a little $$$ on something that will give your car some actually hp instead of the "free mods"
    From what I've read, the throttle body bypass has been shown to give you up to 6 rwhp on the dyno. Not bad for a free mod.

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

Quote Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
    From what I've read, the throttle body bypass has been shown to give you up to 6 rwhp on the dyno. Not bad for a free mod.
    never seen that proven

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird

Maybe on a good day on a heatsoaked engine with extremely cold air, normally 70 degree weather it would make 2. Above that it is like .5hp.

pewter
    2002 firehawk

so is it even worth f-ing with

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird

Go find about 6 inches of fuel line and a couple of small ass hose clamps and do it. Takes 1 minute. Worth doing it.

Thread Information