Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Throttle body by-pass...

This is a discussion on Throttle body by-pass... within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; why pay like $15 for a kit with couplers when you could've just done it yourself with 1 single piece ...

Pewter
    2002 Camaro SS

why pay like $15 for a kit with couplers when you could've just done it yourself with 1 single piece of 5/16 hose for like $2 that's cheaper and seals better?

Silver
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

For me I ordered because I was too lazy to go buy the stuff and for $10 more I'd rather just have it shipped to me. I probably would have just spent the $10 between snacks and the gas it took to get me there anyway....

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS.6 R.I.P.

Quote Originally Posted by GraigZ28 View Post
    after punching out the screen, no codes either. BUT take your time in removing the screen, and yes, no touch the probes.
    +1 here, I have removed my screen and went cross country from NC to OK. No issues at all. You HAVE to make sure that your lid is on secure though because there is nothing else protecting your intake and those silly wires in the MAF!

Midnight Blue
    1998 Camaro Z28 A4

The kit I bought off ebay came without any rubber hosing, it just said my stock ones would link.

That wasn't the case.
    Luckily I had an extra tube available that was longer, so it gave plenty of room for the belts/pulley.

The next problem I had was the hose that I used left the connection to the motor semi-loose and it was
    leaking coolant while the engine was running. A new hoseclamp and plenty of cranks on it fixed this.

I notice a small horsepower increase, well worth the trouble if you ask me.
    No problems what-so-ever since mine has been installed.

white
    2002 z28

im also to lazy to go and find the parts but i got them becuase i thought it came with a billit tube???

white
    2002 z28

one more thing<<<< who used the original squeeze clamps instead of the supplied (screw/phillips head)

i m asking bc i heard reuseing any of the squeeze clamps wont work fully like the first time installed.

just curouis!!!

Silver
    1997 camaro z28

The entire kit can be purchased for like $5. I bought a silicone barb hose connector, and 2 vaccuum caps.
    I broke one of those silly clamps because it was to hard to reach, and used a zip tie.
    Really easy mod.

Justin

Black
    2002 WS6

TB Bypass Question

Hey guys just wondering- Does the Tb bypass if seen by a dealer mechanic void an extended warranty. I bought my 02 WS6 in Oct 02 (one of the very last ones in Michigan) and purchased a 5 year extended warranty. It ends this Oct of course, but I dont want to void my warranty-just in case somethin goes wrong between now and Oct.

JR.

Silver
    1997 camaro z28

Its not that noticeable. Do you live in a cold climate?
    The only reason i see it voiding the warranty is if you live somewhere where it gets really cold and somehow the throttle body was able to ice up.
    Realistically it wont ice up.

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS.6 R.I.P.

yeah, supposedly if your in a cold climate it can give you problems on startup. I don't know if is true or not. anyone on here in a cold climate?

Red
    2000 Z28

Honestly, I don't see how the lines heat the air anyway. It not like the air sits in there and has time to warm up, besides, when you first start your car, the coolant is cold for a few minutes.

Silver
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by sharptransam View Post
    yeah, supposedly if your in a cold climate it can give you problems on startup.
    Your fluids are cold on startup, therefore there would be no difference on startup with or without it bypassed. The only difference would be when the fluids are heated.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy77611 View Post
    Honestly, I don't see how the lines heat the air anyway. It not like the air sits in there and has time to warm up, besides, when you first start your car, the coolant is cold for a few minutes.
    Let your car get to full operating temp, then try touching your TB if you want a demonstration of how hot it gets. You'll get burned. On that same line of thought, why would anyone use a cold air intake if the air doesn't sit there long enough? Run the same temp air through a cold tube and a hot tube, the tubes will influence the air temps and heat or cool it with the temp of the tube.

The idea of bypassing the TB coolant is along the same idea as why you want colder air intakes in general, cooler air makes more power.

The dynos have shown 5HP gains across the board with the TB bypass, with a peak gain of about 7HP. For a couple bucks, this is a good mod for anyone wanting to maximixe HP that doesn't do a lot of driving in heavy snowy conditions. The purpose of the coolant is simply to keep yout TB from freezing up. Some bypass in the warmer seasons, and undo it in the snowy seasons. Like all mods, it isn't for everyone and people will always argue their opinions, right or wrong. Bottom line for my decision to do it was 5HP for $5-15, much cheaper than most mods.
    Last edited by jag42420; 06-13-2007 at 08:46 AM.

RED
    1998 CAMARO Z28

Well I Think Everybody Has Their Reasons But This Is Mine I Have Remove The Maf Screen Of Several Trans Ams And Camaros (no Codes At All) Done The Bypass Tb Mod No Troble At All, The Free Ram Air Mod No Problem At All, Also The Free Tb Bump Stop Mod And Finally Put A K&n Air Filter , But Mostly Of My Friends Have Seen Better Times In The Dragway .20 Faster .
    Not So Much Gain If You Do It By Each One Thats For Sure But If You Do It All Toghether You Will Notice The Difference
    Thats My Point Of View And My Results
    Hope It Helps

white
    2002 z28

well finley installed it after sitting for 2 months and for such a cheap part/HP took a while.TIGHT FIT!! as exspected no gain felt but i know i at least got like 2 HP on a dyno.

Justin

Black
    2002 WS6

Hey Great white whats up? When you did th TB bypass what did you fasten the coolant hose to, so that it wouldn't get damaged when the vehicle is moving? or did you just let it "dangle" below the TB?
    Also it seems to me that you could install this mod without removing the airbox and MAF &U IAT sensors(with some pliers to get the clamps off). Did you remove everything before installing it?

JR.

Black
    02 SS #8850

Jimmy77611 is correct, it is impossible to have startup problems just because of the absense of coolant in the throttle body.

white
    2002 z28

Quote Originally Posted by jroc View Post
    Hey Great white whats up? When you did th TB bypass what did you fasten the coolant hose to, so that it wouldn't get damaged when the vehicle is moving? or did you just let it "dangle" below the TB?
    Also it seems to me that you could install this mod without removing the airbox and MAF &U IAT sensors(with some pliers to get the clamps off). Did you remove everything before installing it?

JR.
    well the only interference that would be a problem would be the top pullly. from the factory its tuck in nice to i think a radator hose?, but if you look at the (entering ) line iy tucks in but when you do this it gives it some slack soo all i did was make sure it was tucked in about a inch more. about 1/4 inch clearernece no problem.

and i did remove everything to get acces to it. made it 100% easier, but i guess if you didnt want to remove it you could, but trying to push the lines in from like 10 angles and the twisting and turning it woulded be worth it. and yes pliers are a MUST for the clips. also to add i heard these clips are only at a 100% the first time you put them on, soo everytime there streactched off they weaken, not much, but i also used the 2 clips included and the stock ones just for security

white
    2002 z28

Quote Originally Posted by slade8200 View Post
    Jimmy77611 is correct, it is impossible to have startup problems just because of the absense of coolant in the throttle body.
    thats probly mostly true but after asking my older mechanic freind he said that there were lots of cases he saw that the blades froze up or something, then i asked" in the winter" ? he said it can really happen anytime on some cases, he said thats why GM started doing this. most and almost everyone wont have this problem its probley jus tthe 1 out of 1000 or something. but its not un heard of

UberTapping Friction Pimp Anthracis's Avatar

18D Cock Diesel
    1999 Z28; 98 SS #2043 RIP

I have not had any problems with the descreened MAF and TB bypass. Its all good. Bump stop mod is next on the list.
    "I am the executioner. When a crime is committed and the exalted state does not take vengeance nor move to punish, then comes time for the executioner to declare himself. I have waited long enough. The criminals are hereby sentenced to death. By fire. By earth. By water."

Black
    2000 T/A

So what is the bump stop mod mentioned a couple times in this thread??
    I checked mine at wide open throttle and the blade looks wide open to me.

I also did the tb bypass homemade version.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information