Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Throttle Body Help Please!

This is a discussion on Throttle Body Help Please! within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by lowrider095 Its the throttle position sensor sticking he changed it with a new one already. So its ...

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by lowrider095 View Post
    Its the throttle position sensor sticking
    he changed it with a new one already. So its not the TPS.

black
    2001 Trans am ws6 vert

its the tps not adjusted right , I know it cause I had it happen to me when I bored my throttle body and made a new throttle blade . It would race up to 2000 then slowly come down . I loosened the bolts for the tsp and moved it , that fixed the problem

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

Just did the reset and no change. Still idles at 1000 rpm. I even threw on my stock TB and still no change in idle. This is starting to become a quest to figure it out.

Its the throttle position sensor sticking
    Not sure, how would I tell?

Quote Originally Posted by JayTA98 View Post
    he changed it with a new one already. So its not the TPS.
    Haven't bought a new one yet, not 100% sure it's bad or is in fact the problem just yet.

its the tps not adjusted right , I know it cause I had it happen to me when I bored my throttle body and made a new throttle blade . It would race up to 2000 then slowly come down . I loosened the bolts for the tsp and moved it , that fixed the problem
    Could you explain a little bit more? Which bolts?

black
    2001 Trans am ws6 vert

the 2 bolts that hold the tps , its on the drivers side of the throttle body , loosen those bolts and it will rotate just a little up or down , then snug the bolts and start the car , remember witch way you move it , cause if it gets worse then you went the wrong way.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 WS6

Ok.... Found something interesting you guys may or may not know....and may or may not help you. It is a big help to me though...

I had a scan tool plugged into my car.... I was watching real time data on it while my car was at idle. My tach was saying idle was a little above 1000 rpm (1050-1100). My Scanner said different! 913rpm

So I think my tach is off that much....What do you think??

Navy Blue
    1999 Camaro Z28

It's in the tune for the cam. Most likely the tuner bumped up the idle to make it less apt to stall, the higher idle hang when coming to a stop is also likely set by the tuner for the same reason. My tuner set my idle at 950rpm, and when coming to a stop it only drops to about 1500rpm until I get down to 10mph, then it drops to 950rpm after about 1 second.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Blue28 View Post
    It's in the tune for the cam. Most likely the tuner bumped up the idle to make it less apt to stall, the higher idle hang when coming to a stop is also likely set by the tuner for the same reason. My tuner set my idle at 950rpm, and when coming to a stop it only drops to about 1500rpm until I get down to 10mph, then it drops to 950rpm after about 1 second.
    Yup.... Thats what mine is doing! Pretty much exactly now since I plugged the extra hole in the TB blade. Before plugging the hole it was near 2k then dropped to like 12 or 1300..... reading from my tach. Those numbers would be lower also because I think my tach is off......according to my scanner.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    Just did the reset and no change. Still idles at 1000 rpm. I even threw on my stock TB and still no change in idle. This is starting to become a quest to figure it out.

Not sure, how would I tell?

Haven't bought a new one yet, not 100% sure it's bad or is in fact the problem just yet.

Could you explain a little bit more? Which bolts?
    I'm a little confused. Are you having this issue as well? the reason i said it wasnt the TPS is because the OP mention he bought one already.

Navy Blue Metallic

Sorta, my idle has always idle at 1000 rpm since I got it.

I mean it has idle that high with the LS1 intake and a stock TB, now I have a LS6 intake and a ported TB with Frost tune and still it idles that high.

It's not really something I think is a "bad thing" as it means something is going to break, but I know it supposed to idle at 800 rpm range with a stock cam and heads with I still have unless the 98's were special and have higher idles then the other yrs. I know our yr had a production shortage of F-body cams and GM installed a C5 cam for a very short time.

I would love to know how to find that out. That may be what is the difference in how mine is idled.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by daytonayellaz View Post
    Thanks for all the replies folks!! I didnt think anyone was going to respond.....then BOOM! LOL!

Ok.... here is what I know and what has happened over the past few days, very interesting and now I need help more than ever!!!!!

I bought the car from a bank that had repoed it from the previous owner. I had NO history except the carfax, which was golden. I bought the car in the Reading, PA area. Drove out there and picked it up and brought it back here to Indiana. I knew going out there it had open headers on it and took a friends ORY and bullet muffler with me so I could test drive the car and hear it run and make sure the motor had no knocks etc. The car only has 38k miles on it.

I bolted on the borrowed exhaust in the bank parking lot and test drove the car. Motor sounded good with no knocks. Bought it and brought it home. I bought my own ORY and Magnaflow cat back kit. I took the borrowed exhaust back to my buddy and let him listen to.... and drive my car. He immediately says the car has a cam in it!! We pop the hood and start looking hard at water pump bolts, timing cover bolts etc. and sure enough you can see they have had sockets on them. So I tell him how it wont idle right.... he says I just need to get it tuned.

Soooo now Im really curious about what has been done to the car. I called the bank in PA and ask the lady that did the paper work on the car if she would help me get in touch with the previous owner....she says she cant give out his info. Im pretty disappointed! I tell her my dilemma with not knowing what was done to the car. After sweet talking her for a few minutes and long story short she gives me enough info to track his Dad down I called him and he was very willing to help me out....and did the best he could! He was not happy with his son buying this car to start with. Said his son took out 2 loans... 1. to buy the car and he drove it for about 10k miles then went back and got a second loan to do engine mods about 5 years ago. He said his son wasnt around to ask specifics, but that he knew his son had taken the car to a guy that had the fastest TA in the country and it was in the Reading PA area as well. He also said just a couple weeks ago...after 5 years, he just threw out the old parts from the car that had been sitting in his shed and he was tired of them taking up space. So...obviously I asked what all he threw out. He said.." A cam, some lifters, valve springs, and push rods, the complete exhaust system and a couple other things that he couldnt remember what they were.

Ok....so now I have SOME idea of parts replaced and where the shop was that did the work.

I ask the father.... Why did the car sit for 5 years? He says his son didnt have the money to put the exhaust on the car, lost his job, lost interest in the car and it just sat in the garage. He asked his dad to borrow money to finish the car and the dad wouldnt help because he was pissed at him for "Buying the car, for hot rodding the engine, and borrowing money to hot rod the engine" So the son couldnt make the payments and the bank repoed the car.

So I had no idea when I bought the car of this history. I did some research online and came up with a guy named Mike from
    Rapid Motorsports that has on his website this info about the fastest TA...a few years ago..... AND he is in the Reading PA area. Im pretty certain he is the one who did the engine work on the car! I have called twice and left voice mail and emailed him. He hasnt gotten back with me I want to ask what all was done to the car....get cam specs etc. Im sure he had to have done some sort of tune to the car..... or it would be throwing codes all over the place and not run at all.....right?? I have no rear 02's, no cats. It runs GREAT! Except for the idle issue...... Which is not super bad... When I stop at a light...stop sign etc the car will idle at 2000 rpm and after sitting still for a few seconds will drop down to 1000 rpm....... which at this point you can really notice the cam. I think if it were to idle much lower it might die????

If anyone took the time to read all this and understands my situation and is willing to still help.... Im all ears! Thanks again!

OK Guys (and Gals) I am the OP. The above I posted earlier in this thread and not knowing what I have in my motor is killing me!! Im not going to pull the cam just to see what it is....... But I did pull a valve cover today to see whats under there. This is what I found.....

Does any of this give you any clues as to what is going on here?? I dont mean with the idle issue per say, but with cam selection and or valve train??

Looks to me like all the reatainers are new, the valve springs are a triple spring?? The push rods have been replaced with Trick Flow 7.400" / .080 I know the cam has been replaced....it has a pretty lopy idle and you can see the water pump bolts and timing cover bolts have had sockets on them.

Should I post this some where else? Like the internal engine section??

Thanks everyone for all your help!

Navy Blue Metallic

If you can't get anything from the builder or previous owner I think your only option to truly find out would be to pull the cam as mention before. It sucks to hear it.

And damn that is very clean looking.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Sorta, my idle has always idle at 1000 rpm since I got it.

I mean it has idle that high with the LS1 intake and a stock TB, now I have a LS6 intake and a ported TB with Frost tune and still it idles that high.

It's not really something I think is a "bad thing" as it means something is going to break, but I know it supposed to idle at 800 rpm range with a stock cam and heads with I still have unless the 98's were special and have higher idles then the other yrs. I know our yr had a production shortage of F-body cams and GM installed a C5 cam for a very short time.

I would love to know how to find that out. That may be what is the difference in how mine is idled.
    mine idles around 800.

black
    2001 Trans am ws6 vert

you could set a dial indicator up on the rocker arm spin the motor and see the lift . Then do the other one

black
    2001 Trans am ws6 vert

also try setting up a timing light and set it on rpms

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 WS6

you could set a dial indicator up on the rocker arm spin the motor and see the lift . Then do the other one
    This sounds like a good idea.... Where exactly would you say to measure at?

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 WS6

If you can't get anything from the builder or previous owner I think your only option to truly find out would be to pull the cam as mention before. It sucks to hear it.

Yea.... I have been considering this option...... not with any real enthusiasm!

black
    2001 Trans am ws6 vert

get a magnetic base and indicator put it on the exhaust manifold and set the indicator on top of the rocker arm on the spring side , set zero ,spin motor and check height at highest point, and thats the lift of the cam

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 WS6

get a magnetic base and indicator put it on the exhaust manifold and set the indicator on top of the rocker arm on the spring side , set zero ,spin motor and check height at highest point, and thats the lift of the cam
    So rotate the engine until the valve is fully open....then put the indicator on there....set it at zero...then measure the travel as the valve comes up/closes??

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 WS6

You think the part# for the cam would be stamped in the end.... So I would not have to actually pull the came out?? This would save a little work.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I believe it is, at least that is what I have seen before.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information