Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Throttle Body Help Please!

This is a discussion on Throttle Body Help Please! within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by daytonayellaz I dont have any lights on at all..... I know they all work, when I start ...

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by daytonayellaz View Post
    I dont have any lights on at all..... I know they all work, when I start the car they all light up.

Yea... I cleaned everything up. When I plugged the hole. Im going to go check it for codes real quick. Post back in a few minutes. Thanks!!
    Make sure the IAC moves freely. I know they get stuck. Spray some TB cleaner and turn the ignition switch on. It should move. turn key off and reinstall.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Quote Originally Posted by JayTA98 View Post
    thats a good question. Thats why I suggest to cover it and see if the idle goes back to normal. These holes won't do anything in WOT since the blade is open.
    I was actually wondering whether the hardware plugging the hole would affect airflow...

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 WS6

Ok... there was a code. P0122 TPS sensor. I cleared it and now its running MUCH better.

When you start the car it idles at 1000. then you drive it and come to a stop...idle is at 1300-1400 just for a second maybe and then drops back to 1000. Does this sound more like normal?

Im not sure about this.... but if it were to idle much less than 1000 it may stall out on me. it sure seems like it has a big cam at idle. I hope its not to big! I wish Mike from Rapid motorsports would call me back! He is my link to all this I think.

The PO had only driven the car home from his shop according to the DAD. Then it sat for those 5 years. Cool thing is that all the upgrades had like 10-20 miles on them when I bought the car. So it wasnt ripped on at all.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Ok... there was a code. P0122 TPS sensor. I cleared it and now its running MUCH better.

When you start the car it idles at 1000. then you drive it and come to a stop...idle is at 1300-1400 just for a second maybe and then drops back to 1000. Does this sound more like normal?

Im not sure about this.... but if it were to idle much less than 1000 it may stall out on me. it sure seems like it has a big cam at idle. I hope its not to big! I wish Mike from Rapid motorsports would call me back! He is my link to all this I think.

The PO had only driven the car home from his shop according to the DAD. Then it sat for those 5 years. Cool thing is that all the upgrades had like 10-20 miles on them when I bought the car. So it wasnt ripped on at all.
    So you cleared the codes and drove the car around, then the SES light came on and PO122 poped when you scan it again? Is very possible that the TPS is giving you issues. I will just replace it. Is not that expensive. The idle should not be that high unless someone tuned it like that. The idle was fine before the codes right?

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 WS6

So you cleared the codes and drove the car around, then the SES light came on and PO122 poped when you scan it again? Is very possible that the TPS is giving you issues. I will just replace it. Is not that expensive. The idle should not be that high unless someone tuned it like that. The idle was fine before the codes right?
    No... the idle has done this since I have had the car. I have never had the SES light come on. I just decided to plug in a scan tool and the code was in there. I cleared it. Drove the car and it was instantly better. Im thinking your right and the tuner set the idle where it is.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

No... the idle has done this since I have had the car. I have never had the SES light come on. I just decided to plug in a scan tool and the code was in there. I cleared it. Drove the car and it was instantly better. Im thinking your right and the tuner set the idle where it is.
    Ok keep an eye on it and if the SES light comes back with the same code then replace it. You can always had the idle tuned down.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Naaman View Post
    I was actually wondering whether the hardware plugging the hole would affect airflow...
    I was wondering this myself as well..... but decided I needed to see how plugging it would affect my idle. It did help to lower it some. I may just try to find a replacement blade for my TB.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 WS6

Ok keep an eye on it and if the SES light comes back with the same code then replace it. You can always had the idle tuned down.
    Thanks Jay for all your help..... I will report back on how it goes. I still want to try and talk to this Mike from Rapid Motorsports and get specifics on the car!

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

I was wondering this myself as well..... but decided I needed to see how plugging it would affect my idle. It did help to lower it some. I may just try to find a replacement blade for my TB.
    PM if your interested, I have a spare stock TB. I posted a pic a few post up.

Finding a replacement blade is going to be harder then you think.

Also, is there another way to find out what kind of cam he has without pulling it? I thought they mark/stamp the end. Could he pull the water pump off and see?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

The markings or grind of the cam is on the cam itself. I think you have to pull it to find out unfortunately. I could be wrong though.

Black
    00 NHRA Formula

You would have to tear it down to see whats in there for heads and cam and whatever else might have been done. I would find out first...builder should be able to help...before you get it tuned. and if there are no SES lights than it probably already has been tuned.

Take the TB off the car and see if the blade is in there level. in other words the blade might not be closing all the way.

There is an adjustment screw you can use to open/close the blade....its where the cam sits when its closed.

Also once you make sure the blade is closing correctly...do the TPS relearn procedure.

should be: unplug the tps>turn the key to on but dont start>leave it there for 30 seconds>turn key to off>plug tps back in

That will make the TPS see whatever % the blade is actually opening at be 0%.

Navy Blue Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by bryceslu View Post
    You would have to tear it down to see whats in there for heads and cam and whatever else might have been done. I would find out first...builder should be able to help...before you get it tuned. and if there are no SES lights than it probably already has been tuned.

Take the TB off the car and see if the blade is in there level. in other words the blade might not be closing all the way.

There is an adjustment screw you can use to open/close the blade....its where the cam sits when its closed.

Also once you make sure the blade is closing correctly...do the TPS relearn procedure.

should be: unplug the tps>turn the key to on but dont start>leave it there for 30 seconds>turn key to off>plug tps back in

That will make the TPS see whatever % the blade is actually opening at be 0%

Thanks I will be trying this when I get home.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    PM if your interested, I have a spare stock TB. I posted a pic a few post up.

Finding a replacement blade is going to be harder then you think.

Also, is there another way to find out what kind of cam he has without pulling it? I thought they mark/stamp the end. Could he pull the water pump off and see?
    PM sent

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by bryceslu View Post

That will make the TPS see whatever % the blade is actually opening at be 0%.

Wow... I had no idea to do this! I just stopped and bought a new TPS and installed it in the parking lot at Advance. Didnt really change a lot though. Going to try the relearn procedure as you suggested. Thanks!!

Black
    00 NHRA Formula

Wow... I had no idea to do this! I just stopped and bought a new TPS and installed it in the parking lot at Advance. Didnt really change a lot though. Going to try the relearn procedure as you suggested. Thanks!!
    Before you do the relearn make sure you take off the throttle body and make sure the blade is in fact closing all the way.

It is much easier to see with the TB off...just adjust the screw until the blade goes back to flat. If the blade isnt closed all the way...even if you do the TPS relearn, it will be letting more air by the blade.

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

Sounds like you got a hell of a deal. You need a dyno tune. Come back and post your numbers. Lucky SOB.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by az gt eater View Post
    Sounds like you got a hell of a deal. You need a dyno tune. Come back and post your numbers. Lucky SOB.
    LOL... I hope so! I was seriously considering a dyno tune. I will get it sorted out and let you know. I talked to the guy who does our local dyno tuning and he told me to plug my scanner in a tell him what one of the numbers was.... I think like a vacuum number or something? Anyway it was 59 or 60 kpa I think... but he said it has a pretty good size cam in it. He is going to check it out for me thurs morning.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    Thanks I will be trying this when I get home.
    Still having idle issues? I haven't had a chance to get under the hood and check for vacuum leaks yet, but the relearn process is something I am going to try, too, if I have no leaks.

Navy Blue Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by Naaman View Post
    Still having idle issues? I haven't had a chance to get under the hood and check for vacuum leaks yet, but the relearn process is something I am going to try, too, if I have no leaks.
    It's not so much as an issue it's more like I want to know why it idles at 1000 rpm when it's suppose to idle at 800. I've checked for leaks and have yet to find any. I also have no codes popping up so besides trying this

I've cleaned the IAC and cleaned the TB itself.

black
    2001 Trans am ws6 vert

Its the throttle position sensor sticking

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information