Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

thermostats?

This is a discussion on thermostats? within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by stormy69 if its running at 177, its not a 160 stat (regardless of what it "says") so ...

PEWTER
    2000 CAMARO SS #3821

Quote Originally Posted by stormy69 View Post
    if its running at 177, its not a 160 stat (regardless of what it "says") so i dont see the relation to my statement. coolant temp is representative of block temp, oil will almost always be a different temp than coolant and isnt relative either.
    You can search this site for all kinds of proof and data that prove that all 160 stats open at the 177 range because it is just a spacer size that changes the temp. and the design of this stat will not open any lower. This is for any brand for a LS1 so it relates to your statement because we all can buy a 160 and run in the mid to upper 170's which is what you are saying is ok. The OP question was about the 160 stat. and when they operate at 177 it is worth buying with your argument. Oil temp. is very important as is transmission temps which are cooled by the radiator coolant and cooler is better.

Quote Originally Posted by SSTODD View Post
    You can search this site for all kinds of proof and data that prove that all 160 stats open at the 177 range because it is just a spacer size that changes the temp. and the design of this stat will not open any lower. This is for any brand for a LS1 so it relates to your statement because we all can buy a 160 and run in the mid to upper 170's which is what you are saying is ok. The OP question was about the 160 stat. and when they operate at 177 it is worth buying with your argument. Oil temp. is very important as is transmission temps which are cooled by the radiator coolant and cooler is better.
    This is exactly correct. The LS1 stat,,,even though advertised as a 160,,,will not open until around 172 degrees or so as myself and many others have verified via scanner. It fully opens around 175-176 degrees and the engine will run around the upper 170's to 180 degress most of the time.
    Due to the thermostats design it just won't run any cooler.

There are many other benefits as well as Todd has eluded to. Cooler trans temps, cooler power steering (if you run a cooler) you also get cooler under hood temps, the air intake sits right on top of the radiator too heating the incoming air as well affecting the intake air temp sensor, less heat soak, and cooler temps are much easier on all the plastic crap under the hood that seems to crumble after time.

PEWTER
    2000 CAMARO SS #3821

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    This is exactly correct. The LS1 stat,,,even though advertised as a 160,,,will not open until around 172 degrees or so as myself and many others have verified via scanner. It fully opens around 175-176 degrees and the engine will run around the upper 170's to 180 degress most of the time.
    Due to the thermostats design it just won't run any cooler.

There are many other benefits as well as Todd has eluded to. Cooler trans temps, cooler power steering (if you run a cooler) you also get cooler under hood temps, the air intake sits right on top of the radiator too heating the incoming air as well affecting the intake air temp sensor, less heat soak, and cooler temps are much easier on all the plastic crap under the hood that seems to crumble after time.

Arctic White
    99 SS m6

i guess you missed my point. if it doesnt fully open till 17x, then it is not "really" a 160 stat. anyone know what a claimed 180 stat opens at?

and... cooler is not "always" better (unless its brake fluid ). transmissions and power steering units need some heat to function best.... wish i could remember ideal temps for them, thats a little to far back in the brain to recall...

competition yellow
    1999 camaro m6

dose anyone know what the mr gasket 180 opens at and if that were to be installed what should the fans be set at?

White over Red
    1991 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by stormy69 View Post
    i guess you missed my point. if it doesnt fully open till 17x, then it is not "really" a 160 stat. anyone know what a claimed 180 stat opens at?

and... cooler is not "always" better (unless its brake fluid ). transmissions and power steering units need some heat to function best.... wish i could remember ideal temps for them, thats a little to far back in the brain to recall...
    Mine is about 189/190 ish according to hptuners scanner on warm up.

Quote Originally Posted by 99z-28 View Post
    dose anyone know what the mr gasket 180 opens at and if that were to be installed what should the fans be set at?
    Don't know where the 180 will open, but since I've had them apart and modified and experimented I would think the 180 should operate as advertised. The only reason the 160 does not is due to the thermostat design, you cannot space it any further for a cooler operating temp without the thermostat hanging open.
    I have found though you can squeak a little more out of them with patients.
    But the 180 should be fine. Never had the desire to run one though.

Best bet for fan temps is to install the thermostat you want and then log the temps with a scanner,,,see where the engine likes to run while cruising at a steady speed and what happens in traffic. Then set the fans accordingly with a little wiggle room so they don't run constantly.

competition yellow
    1999 camaro m6

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Don't know where the 180 will open, but since I've had them apart and modified and experimented I would think the 180 should operate as advertised. The only reason the 160 does not is due to the thermostat design, you cannot space it any further for a cooler operating temp without the thermostat hanging open.
    I have found though you can squeak a little more out of them with patients.
    But the 180 should be fine. Never had the desire to run one though.

Best bet for fan temps is to install the thermostat you want and then log the temps with a scanner,,,see where the engine likes to run while cruising at a steady speed and what happens in traffic. Then set the fans accordingly with a little wiggle room so they don't run constantly.
    sounds good i need to get the hp tuner program soon so i can set the temp probily when it gets warm i will buy it

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Quote Originally Posted by 99z-28 View Post
    sounds good i need to get the hp tuner program soon so i can set the temp probily when it gets warm i will buy it
    Autotap can do this as well

competition yellow
    1999 camaro m6

Quote Originally Posted by JoshieDoom View Post
    Autotap can do this as well
    i will look into that thanks for the info not 100% on what program to get yet,also need to learn how to tune but it will hopfully come in time

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information