Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30

thermostats?

This is a discussion on thermostats? within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; what degree thermostat works well with the ls1 was thinking 160 degree but my buddy said 180 what do you ...

  1. #1
    Member 99yellowz28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    akron,oh
    Posts
    250

    competition yellow
    1999 camaro m6

    thermostats?

    what degree thermostat works well with the ls1 was thinking 160 degree but my buddy said 180 what do you guys think?

  2. #2
    Senior Member mrr23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    orlando, fl
    Posts
    7,134

    dark bowling green
    2000 corvette

    i run a 170 myself.

  3. #3
    That guy thearborbarber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    SoDak
    Posts
    892

    White over Red
    1991 Suburban

    I have a 180 and am satisfied. Wouldn't mind trying a 160 in the future.

  4. #4
    Junior Member stormy69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Mountain Home AFB, Idaho
    Posts
    53

    Arctic White
    99 SS m6

    if its a street car dont go under 180, engine wear starts climbing rapidly.

  5. #5
    MOTOR CITY MARO' SSTODD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    LIVONIA,MICHIGAN
    Age
    51
    Posts
    786

    PEWTER
    2000 CAMARO SS #3821

    The 160's for sale (all) open at about 174-177 anyway so go with the 160 and it will run about 180 while cruising. I verified with a data logger after my 160 install after others reported this with theirs.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    GARDEN GROVE, CA
    Age
    44
    Posts
    95

    BLACK
    2002, CAMARO Z28

    I ran a 160 for a few yrs and my mpg around town was horrible, 14.5. However this was driving very short trips to work so the engine never warmed up as fast because of the 160. I ran it mostly to reduce pinging in the summer and so I could use the predator tune. All this being said a colder thermostat only lowers temps when moving. Sitting in traffic and driving around town for a while the engine temps will go up to the same as a stock thermostat. You need to have the fans programmed to come on earlier or have a manual fan switch but then how would you know when to flip the swtich since the temp guage in my 02 is just a idiot gauge. I might get a 180 this summer to reduce kr.

  7. #7
    Member 99yellowz28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    akron,oh
    Posts
    250

    competition yellow
    1999 camaro m6

    Quote Originally Posted by SSTODD View Post
    The 160's for sale (all) open at about 174-177 anyway so go with the 160 and it will run about 180 while cruising. I verified with a data logger after my 160 install after others reported this with theirs.
    the guy at summit racing said that might be to cold because the piston rings would not get hot enough

    Quote Originally Posted by occamaroz View Post
    I ran a 160 for a few yrs and my mpg around town was horrible, 14.5. However this was driving very short trips to work so the engine never warmed up as fast because of the 160. I ran it mostly to reduce pinging in the summer and so I could use the predator tune. All this being said a colder thermostat only lowers temps when moving. Sitting in traffic and driving around town for a while the engine temps will go up to the same as a stock thermostat. You need to have the fans programmed to come on earlier or have a manual fan switch but then how would you know when to flip the swtich since the temp guage in my 02 is just a idiot gauge. I might get a 180 this summer to reduce kr.
    i plan on getting an hp tunner program and setting my fans lower

  8. #8
    Impounded
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Beaver Dam KY
    Posts
    7,746

    79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

    Quote Originally Posted by stormy69 View Post
    if its a street car dont go under 180, engine wear starts climbing rapidly.
    Where is the proof in this post?

  9. #9
    MOTOR CITY MARO' SSTODD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    LIVONIA,MICHIGAN
    Age
    51
    Posts
    786

    PEWTER
    2000 CAMARO SS #3821

    I've never heard the piston ring story before with just a 10 degree drop, and many people have had the 160 stat for years now with lower fan settings also to keep everything cool. Summit guy sounds like a quicky oil change guy.
    The stat does not slow down the engine warm-up it just will open to maintain the temp you buy, and about 180 is what a 160 will do because of the design.
    Your gauge will not show any change unless you have a 98 because they are dumbed down to not react. I feel it runs better with the slightly lower temp and that cools the trans. and other items as well.

  10. #10
    Member 99yellowz28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    akron,oh
    Posts
    250

    competition yellow
    1999 camaro m6

    Quote Originally Posted by SSTODD View Post
    I've never heard the piston ring story before with just a 10 degree drop, and many people have had the 160 stat for years now with lower fan settings also to keep everything cool. Summit guy sounds like a quicky oil change guy.
    The stat does not slow down the engine warm-up it just will open to maintain the temp you buy, and about 180 is what a 160 will do because of the design.
    Your gauge will not show any change unless you have a 98 because they are dumbed down to not react. I feel it runs better with the slightly lower temp and that cools the trans. and other items as well.
    he said the 160 would not let the the rings warn up and to run the the 180

  11. #11
    MOTOR CITY MARO' SSTODD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    LIVONIA,MICHIGAN
    Age
    51
    Posts
    786

    PEWTER
    2000 CAMARO SS #3821

    Quote Originally Posted by 99z-28 View Post
    he said the 160 would not let the the rings warn up and to run the the 180
    The 160 runs at 180 as stated before, the cooling system can only be so efficient. Why lower your fans or change the stat if 10-20 degrees is going to mess with the rings.

  12. #12
    Member 99yellowz28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    akron,oh
    Posts
    250

    competition yellow
    1999 camaro m6

    Quote Originally Posted by SSTODD View Post
    The 160 runs at 180 as stated before, the cooling system can only be so efficient. Why lower your fans or change the stat if 10-20 degrees is going to mess with the rings.
    i dont know why he said that i dont get it but im probily just gana run a 180 and turn the fans down and go from there

  13. #13
    Junior Member stormy69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Mountain Home AFB, Idaho
    Posts
    53

    Arctic White
    99 SS m6

    Quote Originally Posted by JoshieDoom View Post
    Where is the proof in this post?
    google it....

    engine wear bellcurve based on temp, i did a paper on it for school yrs ago.

  14. #14
    MOTOR CITY MARO' SSTODD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    LIVONIA,MICHIGAN
    Age
    51
    Posts
    786

    PEWTER
    2000 CAMARO SS #3821

    Do not confuse coolant temp. with oil temp. and cylinder wall and metal temps inside the engine. oil is about 40 degrees warmer than coolant and the metal is hotter still, a 160 stat running at 177 is perfect for all charts and curves I have ever seen. Use a good oil and air filter to cut down your engine wear. I would not use it in fridgid weather but we are talking summer cruise weather I assume.

  15. #15
    Senior Member karpetcm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Tujunga, CA
    Posts
    1,646

    White
    01 Camaro 6speed

    I dont doubt that there will be engine wear, but ive used 160 thermo with the fans set to turn on sooner on all my Camaro's and ive had 5 of them and never had any issues. On my 93 Z the temp was extremely low and never had an issue with it in the 4 1/2 years i drove it, same goes for my other camaro's. Maybe there were different factors in my case but my last Z i had was 156,000 miles and ran it up to 218,000 before selling it.
    1993 Z28 M6: K&N Intake, 52mm TB, TB Bypass, No Cats, Exhaust Cutout, Flowmaster Muffler, 3.90 Gears, 160 Thermo, Tune, BMR Springs, Bilstein Shocks, 3 Point SFC,s & MGW Shifter.

  16. #16
    Auto Painter RyanJM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Age
    41
    Posts
    2,002

    White
    1998 Trans Am

    I've had my 160 for over a year with no problems. hell the car runs better now when it hit's the 90's here. I haven't noticed any difference in gas mileage. I had my fans reset when the put the thermostat in. Figures since I was doing the LS6 intake, ASP pulleys, and a tune up why not through a low temp thermostat in.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

  17. #17
    Impounded
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Beaver Dam KY
    Posts
    7,746

    79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

    Quote Originally Posted by stormy69 View Post
    google it....

    engine wear bellcurve based on temp, i did a paper on it for school yrs ago.
    Did my research and asked the old man...

    Coolant temp doesnt effect engine wear. Its oil temp and this is caused by condensation not burning off.

    UOA will tell all.

  18. #18
    Junior Member stormy69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Mountain Home AFB, Idaho
    Posts
    53

    Arctic White
    99 SS m6

    Quote Originally Posted by SSTODD View Post
    Do not confuse coolant temp. with oil temp. and cylinder wall and metal temps inside the engine. oil is about 40 degrees warmer than coolant and the metal is hotter still, a 160 stat running at 177 is perfect for all charts and curves I have ever seen. Use a good oil and air filter to cut down your engine wear. I would not use it in fridgid weather but we are talking summer cruise weather I assume.
    if its running at 177, its not a 160 stat (regardless of what it "says") so i dont see the relation to my statement. coolant temp is representative of block temp, oil will almost always be a different temp than coolant and isnt relative either.

  19. #19
    Junior Member stormy69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Mountain Home AFB, Idaho
    Posts
    53

    Arctic White
    99 SS m6

    Quote Originally Posted by JoshieDoom View Post
    Did my research and asked the old man...

    Coolant temp doesnt effect engine wear. Its oil temp and this is caused by condensation not burning off.

    UOA will tell all.
    i disagree, in theory.... i stand by my statement that ENGINE temp effects wear....
    but i do agree that condesation and other contaminates will affect oil life as well (also part of my paper) if temps arent reached long enough to eliminate them.

  20. #20
    Impounded
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Beaver Dam KY
    Posts
    7,746

    79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

    Quote Originally Posted by stormy69 View Post
    i disagree, in theory.... i stand by my statement that ENGINE temp effects wear....
    but i do agree that condesation and other contaminates will affect oil life as well (also part of my paper) if temps arent reached long enough to eliminate them.
    But what do you mean by engine? Each part of the engine is a different temperature. Thats too broad of a range to say such a thing.

    be like sarge and prove me wrong with 2345678678 pages of info

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Question: Low temp thermostats?
    By BADHAWK209 in forum General Help
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 07-12-2010, 12:47 AM
  2. 160 Thermostats- SLP vs. autoparts store
    By a338566 in forum General Help
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-30-2007, 06:08 AM
  3. thermostats
    By D-millar in forum General Help
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-23-2006, 09:26 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •