2001 Z28

Question Texas speed y pipe?

Anyone know anything about texas speed y pipes

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

I think there is some talk about them in the header sticky

Black on Black
    2001 Trans Am ws6

Almost the same thing as a pacesetter ORY but it is not flattened on the drivers side. It is made out of galvanized 3 inch pipe comes with install clamps (the crappy ones). Pretty good quality for the money I think. They hook up really good to pacesetter headers. From what I understand the newer design TSP y pipe has no floor rattle probs. Catted or ORY?

pewter
    2002 Tans am WS6 M6

I got the catted vesion in a box in my garage. Had bought a house a few months back so the car is just put to the side for now. What I have is a set of Jet_hot longtube headers and tXspeed catted Y waiting to go in, then a tune prob from Frost.
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

Impounded
    gmcheviac

It has a crappy merge to it. A Flowmaster merge in a custom y or welded into another would be better as far as power and rasp reduction

Arctic White
    99 SS m6

mines only raspy over 3k rpm, and i like it (ory)

Black
    1999 Firebird Formula

Quote Originally Posted by wheeliE-maxx View Post
    It has a crappy merge to it. A Flowmaster merge in a custom y or welded into another would be better as far as power and rasp reduction
    This is incorrect.

The redesigned TSP Y-Pipes (both catted and ORY) include the Flowmaster Merge and are great flowing pieces. If I should ever have to replace my Jet Hot catted Y, I'll definitely be upgrading to TSP's catted version.

Here's a couple links to some additional info...

http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...d=189&catid=45

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/genera...ed-y-pipe.html

1999 Firebird Formula
    M6 Hurst-Billet Short-Throw|SLP Airlid, Smooth Bellows, Polished TB, & LS6 Intake|Jet Hot LTs, Catted Y-Pipe, & SLP Loudmouth|SLP Subframe Connectors
    Spohn Adj. Torque Arm & LCAs

Impounded
    gmcheviac

Did not know that. In the pic on their site it shows two pipes just welded together which sucks.

Impounded
    gmcheviac

Looked at the new pics, defenitely as gradual or good looking as a flow merge, but Much better.

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

i have one on my car now and it fits nice a close to the under side of the car i only have a bit of rasp for about 500-1000 rpm range around 3k or so but not that bad.

WHITE
    99 CAMARO SS

for money cany beat it mount up best to pacesetter and hooker , like mine and saved alot of money y pipe is a y pipe

Impounded
    gmcheviac

a y-pipe in not just a y-pipe if you don't want it to sound like shit. With cheap headers it doesn't make a big power difference though

WHITE
    99 CAMARO SS

i know i have a tsp ory pacesetter and a slp lm and iam very happy with the way the car sounds , and with a texas speed m4 cam theres not to many cars that sound better , all depends on how you want your car to sound , i like loud ,

Quote Originally Posted by 99SNAKESKINNER View Post
    for money cany beat it mount up best to pacesetter and hooker , like mine and saved alot of money y pipe is a y pipe
    I think you guys would be surprised. I stuck a pacesetter Y with their headers on my wifes car.
    The Y junction was crap. I had to cut and rebend the driver side for floor clearance and while I was in there I noticed the hole for the Y-junction was only about 2 inches at best.
    So I had a pair of 3 inch pipes merging together with about a 2 inch hole.
    And I suspect most of the pacesetter Y's are this way, as I had another one the same way.

I ended up cutting that open and matching the hole size to the pipe diameter and rewelding. It's still not that great of a design, but I was shocked at the hole size. You would be much better off going to a Y-pipe with a good merge collector like something from Flowmaster.

red
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I think you guys would be surprised. I stuck a pacesetter Y with their headers on my wifes car.
    The Y junction was crap. I had to cut and rebend the driver side for floor clearance and while I was in there I noticed the hole for the Y-junction was only about 2 inches at best.
    So I had a pair of 3 inch pipes merging together with about a 2 inch hole.
    And I suspect most of the pacesetter Y's are this way, as I had another one the same way.

I ended up cutting that open and matching the hole size to the pipe diameter and rewelding. It's still not that great of a design, but I was shocked at the hole size. You would be much better off going to a Y-pipe with a good merge collector like something from Flowmaster.
    The Texas Speed Y-pipe that fits Pacesetter and Hooker headers is different than the Pacesetter Y pipe.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

I have Pacesetter LT and TS&P ORY sounds great, tough ass hell, bottom out a couple of times. real easy to install. Clamps I agree are not that great, but do the job (seal up well).

Any questions PM me.

Blue
    2000 WS6 Ram Air Trans Am

Just got my TS&P Y pipe in, looks very good. Man it's HUGE! 3" all the way into the flowmaster type merge. Doing the install on Sat with a set of Ebay "Option" headers, I'll take pics to document. I will also have before and after go pro numbers, but it will be without a tune. Scheduled for a dyno pull on Jan 30, that should tell the tale of any gains.

Quote Originally Posted by tremiles View Post
    The Texas Speed Y-pipe that fits Pacesetter and Hooker headers is different than the Pacesetter Y pipe.
    Yes you are right, it's different, in a good way. Texas Speed got it right.

As one post eluded to a "Y-pipe is a Y-pipe",,,,,but that's not really the case when you get down to specifics. Which is why I pointed out the issues with the pacesetter Y's that I've had.

Doing it all over again??? I would use a Texas Speed setup.

Blue
    2000 WS6 Ram Air Trans Am

Here's a pic of mine connected to the ebay headers, Install on Sat... Stay tuned.

Black
    2000 Tran Am WS-6

TSP Catted Y

I have the TSP catted Y and couldn't be happier. The pipe sounds and flows great. I have no rasp at any rpm. It takes a little time to "fine tune" how the pipes sit. I agree you need new clamps, I got AccuSeal band clamps. Fit and looks better.
    2000 WS6 A4,Pacesetter LT,TSP catted Y, Magnaflow Catback, LS6 intake,Diablosport, Strano springs, Koni 4/3, UMI Adj Panhard, UMI LCA, Poly Motor and Tran mounts, Circle D 3B 3500 stall, Tuned by Frost

Thread Information