Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 111
Like Tree2Likes

Tested all major spark plug wires. My results...

This is a discussion on Tested all major spark plug wires. My results... within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by DarthD Here is my reply from Summit about the Crane wires: Response (Jim) - 10/24/2006 09:17 AM ...

  1. #21
    Member myk02k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Mars
    Age
    30
    Posts
    534

    Black
    2002 Camaro Z28 6-spd

    Quote Originally Posted by DarthD View Post
    Here is my reply from Summit about the Crane wires:

    Response (Jim) - 10/24/2006 09:17 AM
    David , per Crane . You need to install the wires and run them for
    awhile and then measure . There is some type of metamorphisis that the the
    wires takes on to change the resistance .
    Metamorphosis? Is the conducting material going to morph into something better? The only metamorphosis taking place is your bank account decreasing.

    This is what he meant: "Install the wires and run on them until you forget that you wasted your money on them. If you do remember, then at least we have legal grounds to not return the product since they will be used and possibly worn." Try and request a product swap with better wires.

  2. #22
    Nitrous Tuner LS2Tuner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    WestCoast AZ-CALI
    Posts
    4,763

    Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

    Msd

    For the money I'd say you can't go wrong with the 8.5 MSD'S
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

  3. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    EL PASO TX.
    Age
    41
    Posts
    111

    RED
    1998 CAMARO Z28

    What About The Nologys ?
    Have You Tested?

  4. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    any where but here
    Posts
    142
    Quote Originally Posted by LS2Tuner View Post
    For the money I'd say you can't go wrong with the 8.5 MSD'S
    Ya know......you are absolutely right. I have tried three ways to Sunday to get a descent price on Granatelli's. Just can't justify spending the money on 'em when MSD's are readily available for much less. Really did want to give Granatelli's a try though.

  5. #25
    Member Jetblak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Willoughby,Ohio
    Age
    35
    Posts
    117

    Black on Black
    2000 Trans Am Ws6

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackLT1Z28 View Post
    I like the write up, very informative, but your control group (LS1 stock wires) are different from the experiemental groups. If you are going to measure one thing against another, make sure they are the same. 12.5" wires are different from the shorter 6" wires. One of the factors of resistance is wire length. The longer the wires, the more resistance they accumulate.
    This is true the longer the distance the more resistance on the line.
    The msd's are doing great on my car they read 25 ohms on them
    Last edited by mrr23; 10-29-2006 at 07:44 PM.

  6. #26
    Member myk02k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Mars
    Age
    30
    Posts
    534

    Black
    2002 Camaro Z28 6-spd

    Quote Originally Posted by LS1-450 View Post
    Ya know......you are absolutely right. I have tried three ways to Sunday to get a descent price on Granatelli's. Just can't justify spending the money on 'em when MSD's are readily available for much less. Really did want to give Granatelli's a try though.
    I guess I'm a perfectionist then. I bought $65 NGK Iridiums and $150 Granatelli wires over the $16 AC Delcrap and $80 MSD's. It makes no sense to purchase cheaper wires than the plugs themselves, because good quality wires should compliment the good quality plugs.

    In this case, I see the term "you get what you pay for" very relevant. Cheap wires and plugs means one poor quality ignition system.

  7. #27
    Member Phlash_riot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    San Diego
    Age
    38
    Posts
    397

    Midnight Blue
    1999 T/A

    Quote Originally Posted by myk02k View Post
    I guess I'm a perfectionist then. I bought $65 NGK Iridiums and $150 Granatelli wires over the $16 AC Delcrap and $80 MSD's. It makes no sense to purchase cheaper wires than the plugs themselves, because good quality wires should compliment the good quality plugs.

    In this case, I see the term "you get what you pay for" very relevant. Cheap wires and plugs means one poor quality ignition system.
    I am with you on the "you get what you pay for... however when you get so far you have diminising returns. How much of a better plug wire are you going to get by paying twice as much. Does it warrant that much extra cash for it?

    If you have the money by all means go for it. but myself i would put the extra $70 into other stuff. You can get a MSD coil for that price so by paying half the amount for cables taht are almost as good you could be one step closer to something that in thoery would be a HUGE improvement.

    Just my .02

  8. #28
    MOTOR CITY MARO' SSTODD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    LIVONIA,MICHIGAN
    Age
    51
    Posts
    786

    PEWTER
    2000 CAMARO SS #3821

    MSD'S between $50-60 is much less than $80 or granatelli's price. show a dyno difference between 25ohm MSD and 0ohm granatelli worth the double or triple price and you may win supporters.

  9. #29
    Member Phlash_riot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    San Diego
    Age
    38
    Posts
    397

    Midnight Blue
    1999 T/A

    Quote Originally Posted by SSTODD View Post
    MSD'S between $50-60 is much less than $80 or granatelli's price. show a dyno difference between 25ohm MSD and 0ohm granatelli worth the double or triple price and you may win supporters.

    Yea that's basically what i was trying to point at.

  10. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    any where but here
    Posts
    142
    Quote Originally Posted by myk02k View Post
    I guess I'm a perfectionist then. I bought $65 NGK Iridiums and $150 Granatelli wires over the $16 AC Delcrap and $80 MSD's. It makes no sense to purchase cheaper wires than the plugs themselves, because good quality wires should compliment the good quality plugs.

    In this case, I see the term "you get what you pay for" very relevant. Cheap wires and plugs means one poor quality ignition system.

    I understand your point. However, MSD's are not "cheap" (as in discount brand plug wires) & they also don't cost $80. New MSD's can be found for less that $50 if you're looking in the right places. The difference in price between MSD's & Granatelli's is too great in comparison to the performance benefits that may or may not exist.

  11. #31
    Ratdaddy07
    Guest
    THAT was their response, don't drink the Koolaide, you will try it they won't change and they will say they can't give a refund on used wires

  12. #32
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    any where but here
    Posts
    142
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Hensgens View Post
    THAT was their response, don't drink the Koolaide, you will try it they won't change and they will say they can't give a refund on used wires
    What does this mean? Are commenting about my reply; would think so because it is posted below my response, I offer the following.

    THEY responded to a post left for ME before I had a chance to & what THEY suggested is also correct. It's not a matter of me simply jumping onto the band wagon.

    Summary:
    -Anyone with internet access knows that new LS1 MSD plug wires can be found for under $50.00 & that MSD's are among the top plug wire performers.

    -I spent a lot of time looking into Granatelli plug wires (cost vs performance) & have found that for me, the price difference between Granatelli wires & MSD wires out ways any performance advantage that may exist w/ Granatelli wires.

    If however, your post is in regards to buying Granatelli wires & finding out that in our case there is no performance benefit & then that we would expect Granatelli to refund the cost of the wires, that's just rediculous.

    I can't believe that just wasted two minutes responding to your post.

  13. #33
    Car RamRod 98Camarod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Goose Creek, SC/ NWS
    Posts
    253

    Green
    1998

    The granitelli wires give you an extra 10 rwhp over stock. I was going to get them but after I seen it i had already ordered my msd wires
    http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k1...98Camarod3.jpg
    241's l Comp XER 230/230 Cam l SS4000 l Juice

  14. #34
    Member since 1998 DarthD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Seguin, Texas
    Age
    47
    Posts
    114

    Black ASC#7564 May11,2001
    2001 Trans Am WS6

    Has anyone tried the Jeggs wires? They look like they may be MSD wires sold under the Jeggs name. They are only $40.00.

    Summit told me to run my wires for one week and if they do not change resistance I can send them back. I installed wires on the driver's side of the car yesterday, measuring each and writing down the resistance. I will check them in 6 days. I do not expect a change.

  15. #35
    Member Jetblak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Willoughby,Ohio
    Age
    35
    Posts
    117

    Black on Black
    2000 Trans Am Ws6

    Quote Originally Posted by DarthD View Post
    Has anyone tried the Jeggs wires? They look like they may be MSD wires sold under the Jeggs name. They are only $40.00.

    Summit told me to run my wires for one week and if they do not change resistance I can send them back. I installed wires on the driver's side of the car yesterday, measuring each and writing down the resistance. I will check them in 6 days. I do not expect a change.
    Theres a reason the msds or Granatelli cost more

  16. #36
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Brownsville, TX
    Age
    33
    Posts
    34

    Black
    2000 Trans Am

    I read the Magnacor website, interesting read. I agree with the fact that if you don't have dyno proof, there really is no way of knowing other than "i felt a smoother ride". When we spend big money, its very easy to convince ourselves that there was a positive change. Hell I do that with everything I buy, lol.

    Here's a good comparison. I don't wanna sidetrack things or hijack the thread, but I used to work in audio sales. I sold many brands of speakers, but Bose was the highest priced. Is it the best? Depends on who you ask. Some say yes, while others have frequency charts that clearly put Bose speaker output way off their selling price (i.e. "cube speakers{tweeters really} with an acoustimass module Bose doesn't even dare call a subwoofer because of the small drivers and output that don't come close to sub-frequency range to be called 'subwoofer'}). Yet I still had walk-in traffic that swore on their mother's life that it was THE BEST sound system.

    In the end I suppose with plug wires, as with home-audio equip., it comes down to preference, bank roll, and enough research to make a well informed decision.

  17. #37
    member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    n/w chicago
    Age
    47
    Posts
    6,933

    black
    2000 nhra edition formula

    funny how Granatelli has not replied in this thread.
    2000 nhra edition formula
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

  18. #38
    Member Phlash_riot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    San Diego
    Age
    38
    Posts
    397

    Midnight Blue
    1999 T/A

    Quote Originally Posted by tmartinez91084 View Post
    I read the Magnacor website, interesting read. I agree with the fact that if you don't have dyno proof, there really is no way of knowing other than "i felt a smoother ride". When we spend big money, its very easy to convince ourselves that there was a positive change. Hell I do that with everything I buy, lol.

    Here's a good comparison. I don't wanna sidetrack things or hijack the thread, but I used to work in audio sales. I sold many brands of speakers, but Bose was the highest priced. Is it the best? Depends on who you ask. Some say yes, while others have frequency charts that clearly put Bose speaker output way off their selling price (i.e. "cube speakers{tweeters really} with an acoustimass module Bose doesn't even dare call a subwoofer because of the small drivers and output that don't come close to sub-frequency range to be called 'subwoofer'}). Yet I still had walk-in traffic that swore on their mother's life that it was THE BEST sound system.

    In the end I suppose with plug wires, as with home-audio equip., it comes down to preference, bank roll, and enough research to make a well informed decision.





    Yea i agree with that. Just because it is more expensive doesn't make it better.

    You can goto Fry's and buy a digital optical cable for your surround system for 14 buck or you can get the premium one for 4 times the amount with the explanation that they have gold plating.... Gold plating Whoohoo...wait... does optics care about gold plating..... NO... But they are more expensive so people perceive it is better..

  19. #39
    Member Jetblak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Willoughby,Ohio
    Age
    35
    Posts
    117

    Black on Black
    2000 Trans Am Ws6

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by Phlash_riot View Post
    Yea i agree with that. Just because it is more expensive doesn't make it better.

    You can goto Fry's and buy a digital optical cable for your surround system for 14 buck or you can get the premium one for 4 times the amount with the explanation that they have gold plating.... Gold plating Whoohoo...wait... does optics care about gold plating..... NO... But they are more expensive so people perceive it is better..
    Yeah ok but theres a good reason for gold plating its a better conductor so in thatcase a better sound quality. But so u know silver/nickel plated are the best conductor then copper/gold are the second best conductors. Which means less signal loss on the line which=better sound quailty and better reproduction of sound and less outside interference such as other components like a cars computer or cluster or even the radio its self ruining a great sound. So u say whats the point right?
    YOU GET WHAT U PAY FOR!!!
    MSD OR GRANATELLI would be a great choice either one!!

  20. #40
    Member since 1998 DarthD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Seguin, Texas
    Age
    47
    Posts
    114

    Black ASC#7564 May11,2001
    2001 Trans Am WS6

    I emailed MSD and pasted a section of the information on the Magnacor site with a link. This was the response from MSD:


    Sir,

    Thank you for your interest in our products. Many of our competitors
    make claims of having the lowest resistance wires, or other claims that
    the low resistance wire is a marketing hype. What each of these
    companies fall short of explaining or understanding is that a lower
    resistance wire will provide more energy to the plug. Many companies
    have come forth and attempted to duplicate our low resistance wires
    while trying to maintain our RF suppression. Many of these wires would
    quickly burn up and fail. Keep in mind our 8.5mm super conductor wires
    are the same wires that are used in top fuel drag racing. These wires
    sustain the constant abuse that is generated by out 44amp PRO MAG
    ignition components without failing. Our products have been race proven
    for over 30 years. Check this out and let me know.

    Thanks,
    MSD Tech

    Sounds more like a sales rep than a tech rep.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

  1. 06-12-2016, 10:24 PM
  2. 06-04-2016, 02:41 PM
  3. 04-22-2016, 06:56 PM
  4. 11-30-2015, 11:13 AM
  5. 08-18-2015, 07:43 PM
  6. 06-11-2015, 04:58 PM
  7. 05-05-2015, 04:18 PM
  8. 04-17-2015, 08:05 AM
  9. 12-06-2014, 05:05 PM
  10. 08-20-2014, 08:29 PM
  11. 07-05-2014, 05:46 AM
  12. 05-20-2014, 08:42 AM
  13. 03-24-2014, 08:42 PM
  14. 02-26-2014, 05:01 PM
  15. 02-21-2014, 01:32 PM
  16. 02-11-2014, 05:33 AM
  17. 01-12-2014, 12:15 PM
  18. 10-27-2013, 09:37 PM
  19. 08-15-2013, 03:34 PM
  20. 08-14-2013, 03:12 AM
  21. 07-30-2013, 04:40 PM
  22. 04-15-2013, 05:55 AM
  23. 02-09-2013, 07:27 AM
  24. 01-31-2013, 06:56 PM
  25. 01-30-2013, 04:19 AM
  26. 01-02-2013, 07:52 PM
  27. 05-12-2012, 06:12 AM
  28. 05-03-2012, 08:03 AM
  29. 05-02-2012, 03:17 PM
  30. 04-05-2012, 07:09 PM
  31. 03-20-2012, 01:51 PM
  32. 02-13-2012, 08:41 PM
  33. 12-29-2011, 01:11 PM
  34. 12-13-2011, 08:19 PM
  35. 08-21-2011, 11:38 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Help: Spark Plug Wires Won't Come OFF!!! HELP!
    By Mesterious in forum External Engine
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-30-2010, 10:22 PM
  2. spark plug wires?
    By LS1SSZ28 in forum External Engine
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-01-2007, 08:04 PM
  3. Spark Plug Wires
    By uh_infinity in forum Firebird / WS6
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-12-2007, 03:42 PM
  4. Spark Plug Wires
    By CORVETTETROY in forum General Help
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-29-2006, 01:00 PM
  5. NGK Spark Plugs - Combo Deal - MSD 8.5mm Super Conductor Spark Plug Wires, 1998-2002
    By Stealthperf.com in forum Sales and Group Purchases from our Great Sponsors!
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-16-2006, 01:18 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •