silver
    99 Trans Am

Tech help: cutouts, ls6 intake, ram air

Hey im new at posting but i had a few questions
    Q1. i have the SLP LM exhaust system, is it a catback? and i am putting headers on soon, do i need a Y pipe or did it come with it?

Q2. how many cutouts do i actually need for this system?

Q3. do i need a high flow catalatic (sp) converter?

Q4. where can i find an ls6 intake? i know FAST sells intake manifolds but are they ls1 or ls6? and should i consider the 90/90 setup when im lookin to be in the 11sec range? no forced induction MAYBE nitrous oxide? wet, like 75 shot..

Q5. I just got the slp lid, and i am going to get the Ram air hood, but should i get it functional? should i cut my air box? and if i got the suncostcreations ram air hood, can i use a SSRA with it as well? the suncost creations directly seals the top of the airbox so there would be 2 points of forced air am i correct? from the bottom and from the top?
    This is a pic of it, it is off their website, i do not know any other way to post this

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

Q1: If you bought the full SLP LM1 exhaust from SLP, it should include the intermediate pipe as well as the mufflers and exhaust tips. Depending on which long tube headers you buy, you will likely need to purchase their custom fitted y pipe. For example, Hooker LT's will need the Hooker y-pipe to bolt up to the LM catback kit.
    Q2: In my opinion, one cutout will do the trick. I mounted mine in the intermediate pipe just under the passenger side rear seat. There is a rubber grommet there that allows you to easily run the wires inside the car (if you decide to go with an electric cutout). Others have installed 2 cutouts (often times on both sides of the y-pipe connected to the headers)....that would also work well, however isn't a necessity in my opinion.
    Q3: It all depends on what you have to do regarding emissions. GA doesn't do a visual inspection, so I went with an off-road y-pipe and had no problem passing the emissions test (which is simply a plug into the OBDII connector to search for codes).
    Q4: Not sure of the best place to purchase the LS6 intake; hopefully you can find one in the Parts Classified section of the site for a good deal. Regarding the FAST 90/90, it truly depends on what you wish to accomplish. With a 75 shot, good heads, a cam and full bolt ons, you shouldn't have any trouble getting into the 11's without a FAST 90/90. If you're planning to go with a big cam and high flowing heads, it might be worthwhile to go ahead and get the FAST 90/90....if you have the right supporting mods, you shouldn't have any trouble running 11's NA with that setup.
    Q5: In my opinion, cost to benefit analysis on that hood/ram air setup (relative to a simple lid and high flow filter setup) indicates that it simply isn't worthwhile. For the cost of the hood/paint/install/etc. you could easily use the cash to pick up that 75 shot of N20. Just my $.02. FYI...When I bought my car, the K&N FIPK was already installed. Had the original owner not gone in this direction, I would've simply picked up a lid and the SSRA or FTRA to compliment it.
    2002 Camaro SS M6, 2.5 PRC 5.3L heads, TFS 228/230 cam, FAST 92, bolt ons + a 10 lb bottle in the back.

1989 Corvette L98, A4, Full bolt ons, etc.

Black
    1998 Trans Am

Q1. If your planning on putting headers on your lm1, don't be surprised if you hate the sound, I've read a lot of people don't like it after installing headers.

Q2. One cutout should be fine, are you planning on doing electric cutout or reaching under the car and taking off the plate? That will determine where it goes exactly, but you just need one on the I pipe.

Q3. If you put high flow cat on, you will need two, since that is how many the car has. If your place doesn't check for cats, you could remove them and get O2 sims or simply get them deleted by tune.

Q4. A FAST intake is neither a ls1 or ls6 intake, its better than both, but much pricier. An ls6 intake can be found several places and you can easily get in the 11 second range with a ls6. A FAST intake isn't really needed till you get some really high flowing heads and a decent sized cam. Weiand is coming out with an intake sometime this year that is supposed to be as good as the FAST and have better mid and low ranger power and be cheaper.

Q5. I wouldn't worry about trying to make it functional, just get an air lid and if you want the ram air hood, get that.

silver
    99 Trans Am

Ok well u helped me out with the intake i think that i am going to go with an ls6 intake,

but with the headers, lets say i get pasesetters, or how about SX stainless? and i hate the sound, and the next thing i would probably do is go corsica or borla, or maybe custom straight pipes, but my question is would i need new Y pipe to match up? and by needing a new Y pipe would that mean ill need different headers in the end? b/c the different y might not wanna line up?

and i do think ill just do a ssra and hood and leave it at that
    what about the free ram air mod? cutting the box? i use a K&n but after i read last night about how much dirt/oil the maf has i think i might head out today for that paper filter..
    1 think about that filter though the k&n filter is oiled and collects the dirt unlike the paper which usually lets it bounce off, so of course the K&n will be dirtier, you would have to look farther than that which is the maf. itself, and let that determine if the filter is good or not, am i right?

Black
    1998 Trans Am

Usually you have to get a y pipe that matches the headers, any of the exhausts out there will bolt up to any of the y pipes, or at least they should. If you have the money, I would do dual exhaust. Do all the free mods you can, they are free, so why not? lol About the filter, a very wise man on here pointed me to this filter here: http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/eaa.aspx

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 99Trans_Am View Post
    Ok well u helped me out with the intake i think that i am going to go with an ls6 intake,

but with the headers, lets say i get pasesetters, or how about SX stainless? and i hate the sound, and the next thing i would probably do is go corsica or borla, or maybe custom straight pipes, but my question is would i need new Y pipe to match up? and by needing a new Y pipe would that mean ill need different headers in the end? b/c the different y might not wanna line up?IMHO, from what I've read, Pacesetter have a better track record at the expense of being coated and not stainless. They'll both give you about the same power, but a lot more people run the Pacesetters than XS and there are a lot of happy customers. The XS numbers are growing though. If you are going to run a cutout, and have the $$$, consider a Borla adjustable. You can integrate a QTP QTEC E-cutout in the flange so you can remotely control the cutout without ever getting dirty. Some people complain the Borla rasps, but I BET those people haven't heard a Borla with the plate closed - there is virtually NO rasp; period. Some people don't like the tips, but that's in the eye of the beholder. You will only need a Y-pipe with a catback, because all catbacks merge the exhaust together to form one pipe that runs to the back of the car into a common muffler (most of the time.) If you run duals, you'll have to look at an exhaust shop to custom bend you a system and risk all sorts of clearance issues, from the body or ground (I think Bassani makes a true dual 2.5-inch kit.) A catback is the simplest way to go either way, IMHO.

and i do think ill just do a ssra and hood and leave it at that
    what about the free ram air mod? cutting the box? i use a K&n but after i read last night about how much dirt/oil the maf has i think i might head out today for that paper filter..IMHO, do the FRA and call it a day unless you have the $$$ for the SSRA. It HAS been proven to show gains though, so that's your call.
    1 think about that filter though the k&n filter is oiled and collects the dirt unlike the paper which usually lets it bounce off, so of course the K&n will be dirtier, you would have to look farther than that which is the maf. itself, and let that determine if the filter is good or not, am i right?There are oilless filters out there now although I don't know if there is a filter for our cars yet. A Fram filter will work just fine though (or a AC Delco for that matter.)
    Just my .02.

Thread Information