Black
    1993 Firebird Formula

Talk Me Into Cutout :)

I am trying to decide whether I should buy an electric cutout for my '93 LT1. I already have headers and ORY. I'm about to get an Aerochamber to replace my Edelbrock muffler. It would be a good time to weld in the cutout of course. I've already watched a bunch of YouTube videos and while I like the sound...I don't really need it. The main reason I wanted a cutout is this: How many times have you pulled up to a stop light just to hear somebody POUNDING their music with trunk rattling bass and thought, "Hmmm, I wish I could drown out his music with my exhaust...."? My stereo is loud enough to usually cover up someone else's music, but it'd be cool if my exhaust could too

So, is idling at a stop light with an open cutout (after headers and ORY) loud enough to cover up somebody else's bass? It's not worth it to me if it isn't that much louder then what I already have - I wouldn't use it much any other time....just to mess with other people....

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

Cut outs right after the headers end would be loud enough to cover peoples music do you have a cam or any internal work on the LT1?

black
    02 Z28 and 00 SS

i use to have a sticker that read " my cam hits harder then your sub" funny reactions i got from that.

Black
    1993 Firebird Formula

Matt - Lol - cool sticker!

SilverWS6 - no, nothing internal - only bolt-ons. First thing I did after I had my headers installed was take off the ORY and drive around the block. Mom told me it rattled the dishes in the cupboard from 200 feet away [hehe]

But dual cutouts is too much for what I want to use it for.

Bright Rally Red
    2001 Chevy Camaro Z28

I say go for it. I'm going to put a cutout on my Camaro at some point in the future.
    2001 Chevy Camaro Z28 A4
    SLP cold air intake/lid, SLP smooth bellow, Pacesetter LT's, ORY, Magnaflow exhaust, BMR STB, adjustable Panhard rod, SFC's, LCA's, 1LE sway bars, cross-drilled rotors

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

Quote Originally Posted by Shudson105 View Post
    SilverWS6 - no, nothing internal - only bolt-ons. First thing I did after I had my headers installed was take off the ORY and drive around the block. Mom told me it rattled the dishes in the cupboard from 200 feet away [hehe]

But dual cutouts is too much for what I want to use it for.
    Yup I was gonna say it'll sound just like open headers! I had a cutout right where the Y-pipe ends and while it was loud, it wasn't loud enough at idle but a little bit on the gas and it got loud real quick. It was loud enough to set off car alarms at start up

Black
    1993 Firebird Formula

SilverWS6 - this pretty much confirms my impression of a cutout. Just a little bit louder at idle over a catback, but significantly louder when the throttle opens up. Hmmm....still on the fence about it lol. It sounds fun, but for $220 + install, how much am I really going to use it.....

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

I use mine alot. Get a quiet muffler put on and then the difference is incredible upon opening. I like to pull up at traffic lights and wait for someone to rev, then open it and unleash the beast.

Thread Information