Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Suggestions on what to mod next?

This is a discussion on Suggestions on what to mod next? within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; If you already have 2k, maybe save up and do the rear first. That is the most expensive part of ...

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

If you already have 2k, maybe save up and do the rear first. That is the most expensive part of the foundation work. The rest of the stuff all together won't add up to the rear.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

Quote Originally Posted by will4242 View Post
    So start with the foundation first. Sounding more and more like that's what i should do.
    A couple of wise ppl on here that I look up to for info set me straight when I first started. All the power in the motor don't mean squat if it doesn't put it on the pavement. Wheel spinning is just that burning tires, making noise, but going no where. It is the suspension that keeps the car planted firmly on the road.

Quote Originally Posted by az gt eater View Post
    If you already have 2k, maybe save up and do the rear first. That is the most expensive part of the foundation work. The rest of the stuff all together won't add up to the rear.
    If you plan on making this car a med-hvy track use or a solid street ride then I 100% agree with this. The rear is the second most expensive thing to get besides the motor. Only exception is when you start messing with force induction and you don't want to open that can right now.

In regards to suspension the most critical items you need to get good launch control and help on et's are the following:

Torque Arm, with relocate kit, Subframe Conectors, Lower Control Arms, Springs and really good shocks like Bilstein shocks.

Optional are Pan Hard Bar & Driver Safety Loop and if you plan on lowering the car then adjustable for all items is a must to keep correct angles like the pinon for the rear.

We have a great sponsor in regards to suspension items. UMI Performance is the only thing I've been using. There stuff is top notch and their customer service is too. I just order my DSL today from them. Maybe next summer project will be the front end items.

I still have the stock 10 bolt. I have been running a heads/cam setup making 430rwhp for about two years now. This is on a 100% street car that is not raced. I figured I would keep the stock rear since I dont know how long I will be keeping the car for. Who knows it may last another 2 or more years.

If I had plans to hit the track I would hands down go with a 9 inch rear.
    Last edited by Mike0202; 05-08-2014 at 08:36 AM.

If it's an auto Mike then you'll likely not have much issue. If it's a stick car then your best friend are tires that like to spin If it were to hook a few times with the shock load a manual tranny delivers it would be on borrowed time.

To be honest if it were me, since you've been running the car 2 years like this, and it seems as though you expect to run it another 2 or more years, then I see no reason to avoid putting a better rearend in the car. It's not all that much money. And if you did sell the car a year or two down the road, then keep the stock rear and reinstall it before the sale, then you can either sell the 12 bolt or 9 inch seperate or keep it for your next 4th gen.

That's exactly how I approach it. Stuck the 12 bolt in my wifes car last year, kept the stock rear. If the car gets wrecked, totaled, sold, traded, then the stock rear goes back in, I'll use the 12 bolt in another one. My wifes car is driven by her 99% of the time and is babied around town. I'd say it's also a 100% street car. It's rare when I take it to the track (it's been 3 years ago now) but when I do I have piece of mind knowing the rear will stay under it when I pop the clutch. I do like to play with it on the street occasionally, and now have no worries.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 05-08-2014 at 01:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    If it's an auto Mike then you'll likely not have much issue. If it's a stick car then your best friend are tires that like to spin If it were to hook a few times with the shock load a manual tranny delivers it would be on borrowed time.

To be honest if it were me, since you've been running the car 2 years like this, and it seems as though you expect to run it another 2 or more years, then I see no reason to avoid putting a better rearend in the car. It's not all that much money. And if you did sell the car a year or two down the road, then keep the stock rear and reinstall it before the sale, then you can either sell the 12 bolt or 9 inch seperate or keep it for your next 4th gen.

That's exactly how I approach it. Stuck the 12 bolt in my wifes car last year, kept the stock rear. If the car gets wrecked, totaled, sold, traded, then the stock rear goes back in, I'll use the 12 bolt in another one. My wifes car is driven by her 99% of the time and is babied around town. I'd say it's also a 100% street car. It's rare when I take it to the track (it's been 3 years ago now) but when I do I have piece of mind knowing the rear will stay under it when I pop the clutch. I do like to play with it on the street occasionally, and now have no worries.
    Ya its a 6 speed. I priced together the Mid West 9" rear that I wanted and everything came to nearly $4,000. Decided to wait and keep my eye open for an 08+ Vette. Those LS3's are beasts and a stock one is probably as fast as my heads/cammed ls1 lol

You just need more mods

Yeah if you already have a new car in the back of your mind to replace your current ride then I'd concentrate on that. I don't have any interest in buying any new cars as long as I'm breathing, so I'll just keep this old stuff running Part of the joy for me is working on them anyway.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by will4242 View Post
    So start with the foundation first. Sounding more and more like that's what i should do.
    You got it. That's the smartest way to go about it. Concentrate on the suspension and drive-train first, then power.
    It's on jackstands.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

^^ This.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information