Suggestions on low profile exhaust?

This is a discussion on Suggestions on low profile exhaust? within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Alright, I know this is a tricky question, but I figure someone out there knows the answer for me. I've ...

Silver
    2002 Z28

Suggestions on low profile exhaust?

Alright, I know this is a tricky question, but I figure someone out there knows the answer for me. I've got QTP LTs tied to a Dr. Gas X with 3" piping to Dynomax 14x9" mufflers (true dual setup). Just got a new place, and it's got one of those curb-like transitions into the driveway, car won't make it up or down with any extra weight in the car. And the owner won't let me cement a new entry ...

I want to keep the dual setup, and would like to keep the X, but I need everything to be tighter to the body, i.e. more ground clearance. In addition to that, I'd like to be able to add cutouts (or for clearance reasons, have them fabricated) and go with mufflers that will quite the tone down a bit, so I don't get kicked out of the community.

I figure I'll take the car to an exhaust fabrication shop, but I'd like to have some ideas before they start thinking. Currently, I'm thinking the followin:
    1.) Have the existing pipes (and if possible the x-pipe) compressed, basically smashed. I don't want to restrict airflow, but basically make the pipes oval shaped. If that doesn't work, I could always go with 3.5 or 4" piping and have it ovaled.
    2.) Use Exhaust shielding, the anti-heat/anti-vibration padding all along the exhaust, and have the whole system tucked up against the body and harnessed flush, granted there's only like 1/2" between the piping and the body as is.
    3.) Smaller mufflers, first thought is bullets, but I do want it to still sound good. This car is in appearance a sleeper, so the quiter the better, as long as it isn't having a noticeable performance effect. Cutouts would obviously help with that anyways.

4.) There is no four, past 3, I'm out of ideas, so if you've got suggestions, please help! I move in on the 15th, so I need to take action soon. Thanks in advance for any suggestions you have
    She's baaaaaccccck...

'02 Z/28 M6 Hardtop

Silver
    2002 Z28

Ttt... Anyone?

Pewter
    all bore 370 Trans Am

if you want to keep your dual setup, go with 3" to 2.5" xpipe and refab the dumps and mufflers to tuck up a bit better. borla xr1 mufflers are pretty quiet from what ive read.

Thread Information