Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

stupid SLP intake lid

This is a discussion on stupid SLP intake lid within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by onetroubledguy I had problems with mine until I seated it on the inside lip of the airbox. ...

pewter
    1999 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by onetroubledguy View Post
    I had problems with mine until I seated it on the inside lip of the airbox. That should work for you.
    that's exactly right. i was having the same problems as the OP with my MTI lid (they're all the same) and you HAVE to make sure that the center portion of the front of the lid fits inside that little lip on the lower airbox. once you do that, you won't have a problem

Impounded

Black as black can be
    2001 Trans Am WS6

I have an 01 WS6 and my SLP lid works great, fits perfect i've had it for 8 months since I got my car it was first thing I got...

Black
    2001 Camaro SS Vert

Quote Originally Posted by 1MileCrash View Post
    i've pushed it as far back as i can and holding it in place it latches just fine. as soon as i take the pressure off of it though it snaps back off.

i have not however tried to push it back so that the lid is on the inner portion of the lower lip. i'll have to try that next.

i tried using some electrical tape to shim it into place but that didn't work.

i also picked up some air vent shims which i haven't tried yet but intend to give a shot...unless i can make it work in the prescribed manner.

i just can't get past how shitty of a product slp makes/made and gets away with.
    Keep pushing until it is behind the front lower lip. It is aggravating until you get it back enough. Here's a pic:

trim the bellows.... problem solved.

Brian
    '02 Camaro SS Convertible: The Garage...
    September, 2007 COTM

Stick with it. I have one and it fits fine, even with the smooth bellow,,,I didn't have to trim a thing. Once you figure out how to get the upper lip behind the lower portion of the box it snaps right on.

Quote Originally Posted by BADASS2000SS View Post
    You get what you pay for! SLP Lid = $99 and a shitty install and never stays in place. Volant = $220 but a nice install and you never have to fuck with it again!

Click for full size
    Ya if you don't mind looking at nostrils hanging off the front. Kinda looks like a pair of floppy boobs,,,,sorry couldn't resists

both red
    1998 Z28 - 1991 Z28

I prototyped the ss clip that holds down the airbox around 1991-2. The only reason I say this is it is neat to see you shit out into the production world. I recently bought a mti clear lid for 120.00 and I had to do 3hrs of machining to make it fit correctly. I own a cnc machine shop in MI and it helps to not have to pay another 100-200.00 to have someone smooth over what should have been done correct in the first place. I have asked before how the posting works, without a answer. Help me out with this and I will post pics of the mods I did to the mti to make them fit correctly. I don't know about the other lids but do know I was pretty pissed when that part didn't fit correctly after purchase. Let me know about the "quote" and the like if possible. Thanks, John

Navy Blue Metallic
    1999 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by JB454 View Post
    I prototyped the ss clip that holds down the airbox around 1991-2. The only reason I say this is it is neat to see you shit out into the production world. I recently bought a mti clear lid for 120.00 and I had to do 3hrs of machining to make it fit correctly. I own a cnc machine shop in MI and it helps to not have to pay another 100-200.00 to have someone smooth over what should have been done correct in the first place. I have asked before how the posting works, without a answer. Help me out with this and I will post pics of the mods I did to the mti to make them fit correctly. I don't know about the other lids but do know I was pretty pissed when that part didn't fit correctly after purchase. Let me know about the "quote" and the like if possible. Thanks, John
    Weird. I had a clear MTI before and it sat better than my SLP.

Still The Junior Member RedVertTA's Avatar

Red+White Top and Stripes
    2000TransAmConvertible A4

Had the problem too, comes off all the time on the left side.

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by JB454 View Post
    just what did you do to it for 3hrs?

both red
    1998 Z28 - 1991 Z28

I set it up in a mill and machined about .187 off the front bottom that fits into the slot in the bottom oem part and then machined about .140 off the bottom of the left and right sides. I had to take a peanut grinder and bebur the area that fits around maf, and had to take my radiator support off and machine out a rectangular hole in it to clear the back bottom where it attaches to the maf. I can guarentee that trying to put in and attach the snaps before I modified the part, I would have had 2 lids. I will try to post some pics later today. John

I didn't think they made the clear MTI lids anymore???

My wifes SS has a carbon fiber lid from Vinci that has a crack in it, (That stuff is brittle as hell),,,and if I were to replace it I would like to try a clear lid on it. Always thought they were kinda cool looking. But I haven't seen one around in a long time.
    I just used the SLP lid on my SS which worked fine but I would like to try something different for hers.

Pewter Metallic
    1999 Trans Am A4

Quote Originally Posted by 1MileCrash View Post
    i can't get my freakin lid to stay down. one latch always pops off. it has been like this ever since i got it on the car last summer. i know that other poeple have had similar problems and i was wondering what has been tried or done that has worked to make the lid stay down and in place and keep the latches from popping off all the time.
    try flipping your intake filter around 180 degrees...(not upside down) Mine use to be like that after I bought a k&n for it. My clips never stayed down and i had to beat and force and manipulate my air lid in place. If you all are doing the same to get it on or bending clips chances are you loosing airflow cuz the back side of the lid isnt sealing correctly.

I believe they actually go in one way... (not upside down either) just turn the filter around...

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I didn't think they made the clear MTI lids anymore???

My wifes SS has a carbon fiber lid from Vinci that has a crack in it, (That stuff is brittle as hell),,,and if I were to replace it I would like to try a clear lid on it. Always thought they were kinda cool looking. But I haven't seen one around in a long time.
    I just used the SLP lid on my SS which worked fine but I would like to try something different for hers.
    look at the ws6store i think they have them. here is a link
    http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...oducts_id=1750

I didn't know that. Thank you sir.

both red
    1998 Z28 - 1991 Z28

Here are som pics of what I did. Firebird, take a look at the WS6 store. John

http://s734.photobucket.com/albums/ww341/badass355/

None

Quote Originally Posted by n.m.racer View Post
    try flipping your intake filter around 180 degrees...(not upside down) Mine use to be like that after I bought a k&n for it. My clips never stayed down and i had to beat and force and manipulate my air lid in place. If you all are doing the same to get it on or bending clips chances are you loosing airflow cuz the back side of the lid isnt sealing correctly.

I believe they actually go in one way... (not upside down either) just turn the filter around...
    That is what worked for me and my stock SS lid with a K&N filter!

515 HP TrickFlow Package BADASS2000SS's Avatar

440 RWHP / 410 TQ
    2000 SLP CAMARO SS

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Ya if you don't mind looking at nostrils hanging off the front. Kinda looks like a pair of floppy boobs,,,,sorry couldn't resists
    So you are saying you dont like the Volant intake? My filters are not saggy by the way, nor are my boobs for that matter!
    2000 SLP Camaro SS M6 * 515 HP TrickFlow Package * FAST 92 MM Intake * Nick Williams 92 MM TB * Volant CAI * Granatelli MAF * Full Custom True Dual Exhaust with X-Pipe * Tuned by Breathless Performance

Still The Junior Member RedVertTA's Avatar

Red+White Top and Stripes
    2000TransAmConvertible A4

That's some funny shit.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by BADASS2000SS View Post
    So you are saying you dont like the Volant intake? My filters are not saggy by the way, nor are my boobs for that matter!
    F jonesy is from the old school..the volants are hit or miss...either you like a refined engine bay..or you like a louder engine bay with filters etc

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information