Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sebring Silver Metallic
    2002 Camaro Z28

Strut Tower Brace?

Which "brand" do you guys recommend for my 02 Z/28. I'm leaning towards Hotchkis. It looks like it gives more strenght than the SLP or BMR. I really need help to decide. Thanks for the help.

Sebring Silver Metallic
    2002 Camaro Z28

Also, please post pics of your engine bay. Thanks guys.

LT's, 3400 stall, FIPK,CB
    2002 Z28

I have a BMR, they say the 3 point ones are stronger, but really I don't think it matters. The STB helps a little, but SFC's are the ones that make a huge difference. I had problems with my car wandering on the highway and finding grooves to follow, I added Full diamond SFC's and made a huge difference and later added the STB, it helped too and now no wandering. Some people say they do nothing, but my front end felt sloppy before I added one and some people say after a few years ones without a STB get more flexing and fenders etc don't line up like they used to. I say, get whatever you like, unless you do pro autocross I don't think it matters much.

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

i recommend saving youre money and getting something else mod wise.
    stb are useless.
    2000 nhra edition formula
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

which BMR or SLP version are you comparing it to? the mild steel are smaller in diameter than the chrome moly. with chrome moly, they make the tube larger in diameter to add more strength because it is lighter steel.

look in the suspension section. i put up a parts and brands list with explanations. which is where this post should be anyways.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

Red & Dk Gray
    2002 WS6, '08 G8 GT

I'm leaning toward the Hotchkis as well, maybe the Edelbrock 3 point, much cheaper.

I've also read & heard about those that say that they are useless, however I tend to disagree. I have had several friends over the years that have had them and they do make a difference. Especially pulling out of steep driveways, speed bumps. etc. I'm still gonna get a set, I'll play the see for myself game on this one, extra added insurance against Body flex. Those coupled with the SFC's I just picked up today should tighten that car up great.

Once the suspension is strengthened, then I will concentrate on power, & drive train.

My $.02 worth.

Sebring Silver Metallic
    2002 Camaro Z28

Thanks for the help guys. I was comparing it to the ones that look like what rotwiler has. rotwiler where did you get that battery cover, it looks sharp.

Black
    2000 Camaro SS

I thimk that both the SLP and the BRM strut tower braces are good. They both do what they were designed to do. I can't see paying more money for an item that can not do any more than the SLP or BRM strut tower brace does. The item that really makes a big ( huge) difference is SLPs sub-frame connectors.
    Last edited by JEB; 02-05-2006 at 08:00 PM.

Pewter Metallic
    '00 Z/28

Spohn & BMR are top dogs as far as all that stuff goes from what I understand... Subframe connectors should be your 1st step tho man.

Collectors Edition Yellow
    2002 Pontiac Trans AM WS6

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSomething
    Spohn & BMR are top dogs as far as all that stuff goes from what I understand... Subframe connectors should be your 1st step tho man.
    +1

White
    98 Trans AM

BMR in my book is great stuff. For drag racing a STB is just adding weight but as the others have stated in driving around town you will gain from these. On another note, from what I have heard the 3 point braces are not good to use on F-bodys. The dash area they normally attach to is not very rigid and actually tends to flex when a 3 point is installed. Now this is just what I heard but can't verify.?

LT's, 3400 stall, FIPK,CB
    2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by thelastz28
    Thanks for the help guys. I was comparing it to the ones that look like what rotwiler has. rotwiler where did you get that battery cover, it looks sharp.

Made it, sent ya a pm. Our cars look very simular, I also have a 02 Z28 in Sebring Silver with the factory RS ground effects.

Dark blue metallic
    2000 TransAm

Quote Originally Posted by RainMan
    I'm leaning toward the Hotchkis as well, maybe the Edelbrock 3 point, much cheaper.

I've also read & heard about those that say that they are useless, however I tend to disagree. I have had several friends over the years that have had them and they do make a difference. Especially pulling out of steep driveways, speed bumps. etc. I'm still gonna get a set, I'll play the see for myself game on this one, extra added insurance against Body flex. Those coupled with the SFC's I just picked up today should tighten that car up great.

Once the suspension is strengthened, then I will concentrate on power, & drive train.

My $.02 worth.
    I have the Hotchkis STB. I've heard about problems with the three-point STBs that attach to the firewall under the cowl. Because you're transferring stress to the firewall by attaching the STB to it there may be a potential for windshield cracking, however I can't verify that - it might be an urban legend but why risk it?

Red & Dk Gray
    2002 WS6, '08 G8 GT

Quote Originally Posted by Fastcar
    I have the Hotchkis STB. I've heard about problems with the three-point STBs that attach to the firewall under the cowl. Because you're transferring stress to the firewall by attaching the STB to it there may be a potential for windshield cracking, however I can't verify that - it might be an urban legend but why risk it?
    Thanx for the info! The Edelbrock was just a thought because of the price, still leaning hard toward the Hotchkis. Would like to find a good deal on one, they are still pretty steep new. Like the Red set.

Anyone has a clean one for sale let me know. PM me, or post in for sale forum.

Only found one on Ebay, looks kinda nasty, seller prefers PayPal, and I refuse to use PayScam!; http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/98-02...34934625QQrdZ1

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

I put in an LG Motorsports G-2 3 point STB similar to the BRM in the photo.Not as easy to install as the 2 points but noticed an immmediate stiffening effect.My car was only 6 months old at the time-been installed for 3.5 years now.No broken windshield here-think you would have to be doing Dukes of Hazzard jumps to get that!!

Sebring Silver Metallic
    2002 Camaro Z28

Rotwiler, didnt get your PM. Battery cover looks sharp. Thanks for the info on the STB guys. Dont know if it would help me after all.

21k posts ;)
    Former holder of over

Quote Originally Posted by nhraformula
    i recommend saving youre money and getting something else mod wise.
    stb are useless.

Black
    02 Z06

Quote Originally Posted by JEB
    I thimk that both the SLP and the BRM strut tower braces are good. They both do what they were designed to do. I can't see paying more money for an item that can not do any more than the SLP or BRM strut tower brace does. The item that really makes a big ( huge) difference is SLPs sub-frame connectors.
    I've always thought that too. It looks like theres a lot more to the SLP SFC's then other brands.

Are the SLP's SFC's a lot better?

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Running the 1/4 I take mine off...if you dont you lose the twist up front and it does slow your 60'.....werd.....

Black
    02 Z06

You have more stickers then a high school cheerleader locker.

Thread Information