Strange time gain

This is a discussion on Strange time gain within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; About 3 weeks ago i went to the track with my 01 Trans Am and my best time was a ...

Black
    2001 Trans Am

Strange time gain

About 3 weeks ago i went to the track with my 01 Trans Am and my best time was a 13.14. This week i went and ran a 12.77, which i think is a pretty sizeable increase. 4 things on my car changed in that period of time between those runs. Temperature- There was probably a 15 degree difference, this week being the cooler. Ram Air-I removed one of the plastic pieces that restricts air flow up in my ram air nostrils. Air Filter- I took the air filter out. Battery- I upgraded to an optima yellow top. Seems wierd that all that relatively small stuff bettered my time by so much. But i just figured i would put the idea out on the table for anyone who might have had the same thing or wanted to try something new.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Camaro Z-28 SS

The temperature is always gonna help. I always take my filter out. You must have been driving a hell of alot better this time. What where your prior reaction/60' times to this time??

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

What were your traps and 60' for both runs? Sounds like you just ripped it good off the line for the 12.7

Madeche Vision...soon The Scientist's Avatar

NBM
    '98 Ram Air Formula

It is probably not all in your car. Track conditions also change from week to week. Your 12.7 run was probably on a very sticky track.

Black
    2001 Trans Am

Well, my prior r/t's were preety much the same, with about about a tenth of a second difference, .2's as where this week i ran .125 on my best, but my 60ft times dropped with my average times being in the 2.1's, but this week, the 60ft times were at 1.9s, i was runnin on bfg's kdws street tires, 275's, but the guys i went with didnt see as big a 60ft increase as i did, i am not sure how much track conditions improved but it couldve definately been a factor i wasnt aware of, but i am soundly in the 12s at 12.77 where as before i was averaging 13.2, hehe, made my head swell a little bit

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Thats fast! What all is done to the car.

former bright green
    98 z28

It happened the opposite to me.

Last week with 185 F on the car temperature and with 66 F on the outside, I defeated many camaros and GtA's and even some with spray with about two cars. Pretty cool considering I'm stock and non sprayed.

Last night I got nailed by the same GTA's and 'maros for about two cars.
    The engine's temp was 170 F and the outside temp was 53 F. And nothing was added to the other cars (?).

After I removed the filter and raced I got an SES light, but after 15 miles of highway driving it went off. I also noticed that now the temp doesn't get more than 170-175.

Could please somebody tell me what happened? so embarasing.

What temp should I race. Or what should I do to make the temp go a little bit higher. I guess colder isn't always better.

Black
    2001 Trans Am

i dont have too much done, i have the slp airbox lid, the slp cold air induction that goes underneath your intake, a flowmaster series 40 cat-back exhaust, i had it dyno tuned by a diablo sponsered guy, and nology hot wires, well, if you consider an optima yellow top an upgrade, which i do, i have that too, 333rwtq, 320rwhp

Thread Information