Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

White
    '02 Formula A4

Straight pipes. Good or bad?

I have a 3" SLP y-pipe sitting in my room and I was wondering if getting that put on with straight pipes eliminating the muffler all together would help me or not. Do you think it will cut .30 off my 1/4 time? I run 13.30's stock and I wanna get in the 12s.

-Richard

Black
    '98 Z28

I'd imagine that would sound like crap. Rapsy as hell. I can't imagine it knocking off .3 from the 1/4 either. Just my opinion though.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS

Cutting off .3 off your 1/4...no. Probably won't sound the greatest either. You can probably hit 12s by just driving a tad bit better or practicing your launch a little more. That thing will most likely sound like poop hauling down the track. You might even lose some power...
    2001 Chevrolet Camaro SS M6
    Thunder Racing 224/224 .563/.563 112 LSA
    FLP longtube headers (No cats) and y pipe
    GMMG catback
    Underdrive pulley
    LS1 motorsports lid
    PRO 5.0 with Lous Short stick
    Lower control arms,adjustable panhard bar, subframe connectors.
    NITTO 555RII's

Blazen Orange Metallic
    2006 GTO

You'll loose torque. Mufflers create back pressure.

metallic pewter
    2001 WS.6 Trans Am

i had a friend witha a 98 ws6 that had a straight pipe after the cats. sounded like shyte do yourself a favor and forget you ever had that thought and get a true dual system

White
    '02 Formula A4

Alright, so that was a bad idea, that why I ask before I do things,lol.

2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

Very raspy and drones like hell. I didn't mind part throttle runs but the drone would kill me. To me it actually felt a tad slower. But I had stock cats and Y at the time I cut the muffler off.

1998 Firebird Formula WS6

You will not lose power you will run faster no doubt but not that much faster. It is like putting a cutout in but you would have even more restriction then a cut out i hate when people say you will lose power from no muffler. people would not put cutouts in if it did not make their cars run faster period.

Why would people put lt's and true duals with no cats and an x pipe (which inproves scavenging) and straight through mufflers on a mostly stock ls1 then? They do it to gain power and torque. That type of system that i labeled above has far less backpressure then yours and the people gain power. Any flow you can get is good, back pressure kills power people dont understand that. You have to remember the peak torque on these ls1 motors is around 4,400 rpms and they need to breathe. People would not put lt's and straight through mufflers on their ls1's if it did not make them faster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blue/Yellow/White
    95 T/A 383

You will lose torque because of the reduced backpressure, however you may gain horse at the high end w/ a tune. All gains/losses will be marginal though but w/o mufflers at all I can already tell you that it will sound totally gay.

Go with glasspacks or something of the like instead of just piping, trust me.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyromaniacal View Post
    You will lose torque because of the reduced backpressure, however you may gain horse at the high end w/ a tune. All gains/losses will be marginal though but w/o mufflers at all I can already tell you that it will sound totally gay.

Go with glasspacks or something of the like instead of just piping, trust me.
    low end torque and power you will lose some but not peak torque and power, espically at the drag strip when you are trying to lower your time low end is not a huge concern.

red
    2000 Camaro

what is so bad about a raspy sound? i have shorties, gutted cats, and a cutout and it sounds mean as hell. i love raspy. my bro has lt's with high flow x pipe and striahgt pipes on his stang, and it sounds like the world is coming to an end! its awesome. the less restriction the better it sounds in my opinion. now if ur 60 years old and want a deep tone then get a quiet cat back like magnaflow and gut the cats.

i hope you reconsider. you can always install a cutout which would do the same and have it capped or uncapped when you want so you will still have a muffler

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

My roommate has Midtubes, and stright pipes out the sides...it's the loudest car I know and it doesn't sound half bad once the pipes warm up. And the best part is when it backfires...lol...best sound ever.

I had mine with no exhaust on at all(well 2 feet of 3" pipe). I think it sounds kind of cool, but it gets old fast. If you want to try it out, do it. Then get a cut out when the sound gets old. Back pressure gains you jack shit in the top end. Get on a Dyno and try it out.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

The y pipe won't do anything for you. As for the strait pipes, if you still have cats it should sound ok. The loudmouth is essentially straitpipes and I think it sounds great with stock manifolds and cats. If you have longtubes and no cats then yes it's too much.

Arctic White
    2000/Trans Am

well nobody here is posting from experiance so I will chime in.
    I have straight pipes on my T/A and it sounds great.
    It does seem to drone on a long trip but part of it is that I have 3.73 gears and run 2500 rpm at 70-80.
    As far as low end torque goes I just had to put 315/35/17 on the rear cause I couldnt give more than about 1/4-1/2 throttle of the line witout getting sideways through 2cnd gear.
    I have a co-worker with borla catback at it sounds good but I like mine better but thats just me.
    Raspy...no way.Loud...Hell yeah
    I have had several compliments on the sound from my car with no muffler.
    BTW I have stock manifolds and both cats are intact as of now.The muffler was removed at the intemediate pipe and new duals run out the stock location.

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28

def wont take off .3 in the 1/4.
    M6, Lid, Ported and Polished Throttle Body (By Me!), LT, Custom Catted Y, Electric Cutout, PHB, LCA13.21@108 with a 2.3 60'

Arctic White
    2000/Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by ApexVIII View Post
    def wont take off .3 in the 1/4.

I agree!!!!!
    I am not saying it will or even come close.I cant say I noticed a big diff when I had mine lopped off,but I did it cause I like the loud exaust and dont like over paying for mufflers or catback systems.Just doesnt make sense to me when you could spend the money on headers/true dual setup and get the real gains.

2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

I had 315's in the rear and when I had my muffler cut off right after the axle it actually helped in the out the hole traction area but just seemed slower to me. Made absolutely no difference at the track I had the exact same times. Rest of the exhaust was stock with cats etc. Didn't mind the sound but as stated the 2k RPM drone was a beast. Loved the WOT though.

Thread Information