View Poll Results: Should I do straight exhaust?

Voters
78. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

23 29.49%
  • No

40 51.28%
  • Maybe

15 19.23%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Is Straight exhaust bad?

This is a discussion on Is Straight exhaust bad? within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; where do you get an X/H pipe from?...

Black
    2000 Camaro Z28

where do you get an X/H pipe from?

An exhuast shop can make a custom h pipe for you or you could look at the texas speed x pipe and get a shop to fabricate it to your stock headers and cats.

Black
    99 SS

im currently running open headers, love it

red
    1998 chevy camaro ss

i have a 98 ss with gutted cats and a single to dual system w/ no muffler and was thinking of adding the borla muffler instead of the straight through exhaust. my question is if i will gain or lose a good amount of power? also i dont have o2 simms but the car does run pretty strong, i was told o2 simms will improve the performance and keep my ses light off? any info?

blue
    97 LT1 trans am

I didn't have the straight exhaust very long, after putting the headers on and no cats it was to popping, so I did 2 super 40 Flowmaster mufflers and now since a cam swap and a few odds and ends I decided to just go with 1 super 40 flowmaster.. Not to loud just a nice tone, at idle it's almost not even noticable, but the slightest gas wakes it up. I don't recommend straight exhaust anymore now that I've experienced it.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by sscamaro1384 View Post
    i have a 98 ss with gutted cats and a single to dual system w/ no muffler and was thinking of adding the borla muffler instead of the straight through exhaust. my question is if i will gain or lose a good amount of power? also i dont have o2 simms but the car does run pretty strong, i was told o2 simms will improve the performance and keep my ses light off? any info?
    You probably won't lose any noticeable power going from no mufflers to a Borla system. The entire system, as well as the muffler, flow very well.

If you want an exhaust that flows as well as a straight through system, get an SLP Loudmouth or Loudmouth 2. It has no real mufflers, and the pipes don't merge at the rear. Its basically has resonators to smooth out the sound, its pretty damn oud, but overall it sounds very good.

As for 02 Sims, they won't improve performance at all. They will merely tell the computer that the cats are functioning normally, even though they aren't there. So the SES light will go off and the computer won't throw any codes.

JOSEY FUCKING WALES! Frankthetank's Avatar

Black
    2000 &2002 Z28

I had on my 98 z28 a catted y with true duals (no mufflers)
    THe exhaust was shitty though....pipes were like little less than 2 in over axle but it sounded mean as hell.......I love it

TSP Rumbler, LT's, TSP Tqr2, PRC 921 Springs, Comp Lifters, Chromoly 7.4" Pushrods, Titanium Retainers/Seats/Seals, ARP head bolts, BMR full Rear suspension

"I could break a bowling ball with a plastic hammer in a sandbox"

2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

I cut my exhaust right after it came over the axle and loved the way it sounded with just the 2 cats especially when you romp it. It was louder at Idle than my current TD setup with flowmaster 1 chambers no dumps nothing after the muffler but no where near as loud as my TD's are WOT. it was actually more quiet at cruise rpm's than my TD's as well but that 2500 rpm drone was a PITA. I dont have the drone with my TD's. But soon going to headers and x pipe with same td's hopefully to get rid of that off throttle pop that i get occasionally now.

SMKDFRD
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbird02 View Post
    i agree with him im not running straight pipes but i have lt headers and a custom true duel xpipe with dynomax bullets and i love it.... its a sound that you cant go wrong with no matter who you are or what you like
    So approx how much did you spend on this setup? I'm thinking about doing the same thing.

Custom Built Rock Crawler rustynuts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LS1 Trans am View Post
    Is Straight exhaust bad?

NOT AS BAD AS RIPPING PEOPLE OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!

BEWARE OF LS1 TRANS AM. HE IS A THIEF AND IS VERY LUCKY HE LIVES AS FAR AWAY FROM ME AS HE DOES.

READ ALL ABOUT HIM HERE

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread...871#post766871

Current best: 10.60/126.8
    1998 Pontiac TA WS6

A clamp behind the y-pipe came off accidently on my setup. It sounded terrible. I'm thinking the sound will be near the same. I wouldn't do it unless you want to sound as bad (or worse) than the ricers do. Oh yeah, and you shouldn't rip people off. Thats not a very nice thing to do.

no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 z28

Quote Originally Posted by 408WS6 View Post
    A clamp behind the y-pipe came off accidently on my setup. It sounded terrible. I'm thinking the sound will be near the same. I wouldn't do it unless you want to sound as bad (or worse) than the ricers do. Oh yeah, and you shouldn't rip people off. Thats not a very nice thing to do.
    you think that an un muffled ls1 sounds like a ricer?

hmmm....pretty damn sure it sounds loud and deep. you can hear the cam at idle, pretty good on a 114

red
    94 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by SailorZ28 View Post
    Well I know the Camaro I just bought (and will be picking up this weekend) has 3" open exhaust from the cats back.
    Have fun getting that through VA insp SAILOR

1998 Pontiac TA WS6

Quote Originally Posted by secondgearscratch View Post
    you think that an un muffled ls1 sounds like a ricer?

hmmm....pretty damn sure it sounds loud and deep. you can hear the cam at idle, pretty good on a 114
    No, I didn't say it sounded like a ricer, I said it sounded just as bad.

red
    94 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by sscamaro1384 View Post

Having O2 sims will keep the SES light off. It has NOTHING to do with the way the engine runs. They are simply there to let the PCM know it the cats aren't working.

Re'

no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 z28

No, I didn't say it sounded like a ricer, I said it sounded just as bad.
    not a chance on gods green earth sir...

1998 Pontiac TA WS6

Quote Originally Posted by secondgearscratch View Post
    not a chance on gods green earth sir...
    LOL. You obviously have no clue what you are talking about. Take your y-pipe loose just before the cat-back and drive it around for awhile and then come back and tell me it sounds good. It sounds like garbage. LOUD garbage. Too much rasp. There are plenty of people in this thread that agree:

Quote Originally Posted by Uno99 View Post
    I will be very rasy and you will probably not like it. At least throw in a sweet thunder or dynomax bullet in the i-pipe. ST are only 50$ for a 18" and they sound bad ass!
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbird02 View Post
    i agree with him im not running straight pipes but i have lt headers and a custom true duel xpipe with dynomax bullets and i love it.... its a sound that you cant go wrong with no matter who you are or what you like
    Quote Originally Posted by BADBLUE02 View Post
    A buddy of mine tried that acouple of years ago. It sounded terrible!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    Straight pipes have a totally different sound than a crossover system. If you want it to sound like an old muscle car, go with straight pipes. It will give you a nice raspy rumble, sounds very good, but you may get some harmonic imbalance at certain RPM's, which can be annoying.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason482 View Post
    I wouldn't run a single straight pipe, too much rasp...of course, I'm the guy that thinks true duals are way too loud.

Now if your talking true duals or dumped before the axle, that is something TOTALLY different. I agree that it sounds good regardless of the noise level much like the old school setups. And guess why that is? Because none of the old school setups (pre 80's) ever ran y-pipes. Most all ran true duals.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

LOL. You obviously have no clue what you are talking about. Take your y-pipe loose just before the cat-back and drive it around for awhile and then come back and tell me it sounds good. It sounds like garbage. LOUD garbage. Too much rasp. There are plenty of people in this thread that agree:

Now if your talking true duals or dumped before the axle, that is something TOTALLY different. I agree that it sounds good regardless of the noise level much like the old school setups. And guess why that is? Because none of the old school setups (pre 80's) ever ran y-pipes. Most all ran true duals.
    My post that you quoted was referring to straight pipes as in dual exhaust, no crossover. One pipe for each bank without a merge. Not a dumped y-pipe

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information