View Poll Results: Should I do straight exhaust?

Voters
78. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

23 29.49%
  • No

40 51.28%
  • Maybe

15 19.23%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

blue
    97 LT1 trans am

Question Is Straight exhaust bad?

I'm thinking about doing straight pipe from the y back and was wondering if that would be bad for any reason? I know It would sound really nice, at least until I was to get headers and a ory pipe.. But I got me some echo tips and was thinking about doing the straight pipe custom. It's going to be the setup kind of like how the gmmg exhaust system is. Any input is welcomed.

Black
    1999 T/A

I will be very rasy and you will probably not like it. At least throw in a sweet thunder or dynomax bullet in the i-pipe. ST are only 50$ for a 18" and they sound bad ass!
    1999 Pontiac T/A A4

Headers, Gears, Sweet Thunder TD's, Suspension & Brake Upgrades, 2 Tone Interior, and Other Mics Parts
    ***PICS & MOD LIST***
    http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c6...allsigpic2.jpg

Black
    2002 Trans-Am

i agree with him im not running straight pipes but i have lt headers and a custom true duel xpipe with dynomax bullets and i love it.... its a sound that you cant go wrong with no matter who you are or what you like

NBM
    2002 Z28

Ultimately the straight exhaust isn't that different from the original LM. The LM just has a small section thats a bit larger diameter (3" to 4" back to 3" for about 15" length in the I-pipe I think) to promote resonant sound wave cancellation.

I love the blasted thing. Almost makes my car sound like it's already cammed despite no internals and stock headers.

Black
    2002 Trans AM

My uncle had a straight pipe made to bolt in the place of his stock exhaust for when he autocrossed it. It was a single exhaust setup but sounded sooooo nice. Definately not as raspy as you'd think. He ended up leaving it like that now, its not to loud either.

However peeps always look at it and wonder about the single exhaust.

blue
    97 LT1 trans am

Got it finished on monday and got 2 3"x 18" long echo tips coming out in the back, after my custom straight pipe over the axle and it sounds real loud, but after I install these Headers and ory, It may be to loud and I might have to put a res in my I-pipe or something.. I'll have to see what happens when the time comes.

Silver
    1998 WS6 M6

Nope, not bad at all. Just might wake up the dead.. You will loose some low end torque but not really that much to worry about.

blue
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Uno99
    I will be very rasy and you will probably not like it. At least throw in a sweet thunder or dynomax bullet in the i-pipe. ST are only 50$ for a 18" and they sound bad ass!
    A buddy of mine tried that acouple of years ago. It sounded terrible!

So I put it in her butt.

White
    2001 Z28 M6

it does not sound terrible. it sounds like a full race setup. fast race cars are not built to have beautiful exhaust notes and a throaty sound. they are built to make tons of power and go fast. i like the sound of a built engine running through wide open un-muffled exhaust. it lets everyone know you are packing heat. if i could make my exhaust loud enough to break windows, i would. when i get long tubes i am going to delete the cats and dump the exhaust from the headers out each side. you need at least a foot or so of proper diameter pipe after the collector to get the maximum amount of scavenging anyway. but if there are cats present it just ruins it.

NBM
    01 WS6 TA

I can't say I don't like the sound of an open exhaust on these cars, but I'd never drive mine very long without exhaust on it. Plus you look kinda bad when your car makes all kinds of noise at idle and mine purrs a little louder than a kitten. Then we stomp the throttles and my car screams to life and a 10 car length lead.

black
    1999 Camaro Z28 M6

Well I know the Camaro I just bought (and will be picking up this weekend) has 3" open exhaust from the cats back. And I pretty much had a chub the whole time I was test driving it. I'm an old schooler though, I had a 69 Mustang and a 66 Skylark that both were loud as all hell. That's just the sound I dig, open, and rumbling.

black
    1999 pontiac trans am ws6

hell yeah the louder the better doesnt get any better then that

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

bump on the sweet thunders...really add a classic muscle car sound to them

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Straight pipes have a totally different sound than a crossover system. If you want it to sound like an old muscle car, go with straight pipes. It will give you a nice raspy rumble, sounds very good, but you may get some harmonic imbalance at certain RPM's, which can be annoying.

If you want a modern musclecar sound, go with an X or H pipe. That will make it sound like a new Corvette, nice deep rumble/gurgle that gradually gets louder with higher RPM's until its really screaming

Personally I'd go with the crossover pipe, as I like the sound better. It alo gives you a few more HP if you have an X pipe. So its mostly just up to you, and which sound you prefer.

I wouldn't run a single straight pipe, too much rasp...of course, I'm the guy that thinks true duals are way too loud.

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

57% = no including me

just get the LM1 with some headers, a bit more expensive but it will probably be louder than str8

mdecesare
    Just ordered loud mouth II. How is that compared to wide open? Looking for deep rumble.

Silver
    2000 zs8 camaro

me and some buddys were sitting around on a sunday afternoon and we were thinking of some stuff to do so we ended up taking his flowmaster of and running against my camaro and my stock camaro beat it bad!!!!...it killed the torque and it sounded like glasspacks

I have a tru dual set up with an h pipe exiting at the rear axle with stock cats as a muffler. well my car runs great pulls harder in high rpm and sounds great i mean like a real muscle car. i'd run an h pipe to the rear axle and call it a day.

Black
    1999 WS6 Trans Am

Never done it on my car (but the Borla system isn't much more than straight), but I ran straight pipes from the Cat Back for years on my truck. I really liked the exhaust note, but eventually had to go with a flowmaster due to some pesky guy at the DMV.

Hmmm I think I'll take that damn thing off again. Best part about it is the neighbors hate it.

Thread Information