Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Still Confused

This is a discussion on Still Confused within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by Mr. Luos Just don't get longtubes and it will continue to sound great. yea that's what ive ...

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    Just don't get longtubes and it will continue to sound great.
    yea that's what ive heard. i'm looking to get kooks long tubes but not sure what exhaust to go with. my buddy has corsa and i dont particularly like how it sounds but thats also on a 408 stroker.
    2012 Regal GS

2004 Cadillac CTS-V (Sold)
    2001 Camaro SS (Sold)
    1999 Camaro Z28 (Sold)

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

3 point sub frames tend to get in the way of torqe arms and exhausts and stuff. I have BMR tubular 2 points.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by BashamWS6 View Post
    Well 3 point would be the best i would guess right? And earlier in this forum someone said welded in would be better.
    But i probably wont surpass 400 hp for the next few years.
    Im gonna put a full exhaust system on it, new air intake, and probably a new camshaft in it, and get a chip for my car as well. Add an adj torque arm, lowering hotchkis springs, and bilstein shocks...but its likely to change
    That is a solid plan. You really can't go wrong with either 2or 3 point...I went 3 point and I love mine. Even stock sfc are strongly recommended.

Impounded
    Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    That is a solid plan. You really can't go wrong with either 2or 3 point...I went 3 point and I love mine. Even stock sfc are strongly recommended.
    Thanks. I think ill get the 2 point since theyre cheaper.

Impounded
    So i beleive this is how i will go...
    ARH 1-7/8 LTs 304 SS
    ARH Catted Y Pipe
    SLP Loudmouth II Exhaust with the Loud Mouth Resonator and 3.5 slashed tips
    i was also told that i should change my plugs and wires and mounts.
    MSD LS1 plug wires, and NGK TR55 (or NGK TR6)?? spark plugs

98' trans am

So i beleive this is how i will go...
    ARH 1-7/8 LTs 304 SS
    ARH Catted Y Pipe
    SLP Loudmouth II Exhaust with the Loud Mouth Resonator and 3.5 slashed tips
    i was also told that i should change my plugs and wires and mounts.
    MSD LS1 plug wires, and NGK TR55 (or NGK TR6)?? spark plugs
    i personally wouldnt run the LM set up with LTs. for your app run the TR55s..or a better choice would be run some iridiums or such ... basically stockers...as you wont see a gain from switching to TR55s and the shorter change intervals of the tr55s(copper) will get old eventually.

MSD plug wires are a great choice...also highly suggested because of the flexible boot..about 4 of my boots are flexed to avoid sitting on the headers. so to me they are very important.

also do the motormounts...trust me...i tired to do mine durring my LT install but ran into some problems so i had to leave them alone...now they will be much tougher.
    mods- suncoast creations hood with functional lt1 style airbox, ls6 intake, QTP longtube headers, QTP ORY, UMI SFC, Adj. LCA with relo brackets, UMI adj. panhard bar, Koni SA and strano springs,Torq Thrust M 17s 9.5 and 10.5 with nitto 555Rs, tuned by Frost
    Quote Originally Posted by Modulistic View Post
    sometimes you get owned, sometimes you own.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Loud mouth II with cats should sound good imo.

98' trans am

didn't see the catted part...so it should sound a little bit more bearable..this is all imho tho.

Impounded
    Well it will be loud...no doubt. But will it still sound good--Like that muscle car tone or will it be raspy and annoying like a truck without a muffler and pipes?
    And i was told to get Corvette O2 sensors.
    And motor mounts? Whats the significance of that?
    And for spark plugs...whats iridium?

And hypothetically speaking...what if i just got the ARH LTs and Catted Y and left the rest of the exhaust stock?

98' trans am

Well it will be loud...no doubt. But will it still sound good--Like that muscle car tone or will it be raspy and annoying like a truck without a muffler and pipes?
    And i was told to get Corvette O2 sensors.
    And motor mounts? Whats the significance of that?
    And for spark plugs...whats iridium?

And hypothetically speaking...what if i just got the ARH LTs and Catted Y and left the rest of the exhaust stock?
    your stock mounts are rubber...this causes your engine to shake more than it should. your exhuast is connected to your engine and now that it is bigger the clearances are less..which means more banging etc..you get the drift.

iridium and platinum plugs last longer than the older copper style plugs..that is it

Impounded
    Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    your stock mounts are rubber...this causes your engine to shake more than it should. your exhuast is connected to your engine and now that it is bigger the clearances are less..which means more banging etc..you get the drift.

iridium and platinum plugs last longer than the older copper style plugs..that is it
    alright awesome. thanks.
    so whats the price of these motor mounts...or will it vary?
    and i still dont know what i should go with as for the exhaust....should i just keep the exhaust stock or shoudl i get borla, flowmaster, or magnaflow with the ARH LTs and Catted Y?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

alright awesome. thanks.
    so whats the price of these motor mounts...or will it vary?
    and i still dont know what i should go with as for the exhaust....should i just keep the exhaust stock or shoudl i get borla, flowmaster, or magnaflow with the ARH LTs and Catted Y?
    Everyone on here is going to have a different opinion about the same exhaust. People will tell you that with LT's, ORY and LMII that it sounds bad and raspy. I have that set-up and my car sounds badass and I get compliments on how it sounds almost every time I take it out.

I think the best advice is to try to hook up with some friends or go to like a local car show and listen for yourself to what these cars sound like with different set-ups. Someone else's preference may not be what you like. Just my .02

Not trying to come off as an a-hole either, just trying to offer some advice..haha.

Impounded
    Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Everyone on here is going to have a different opinion about the same exhaust. People will tell you that with LT's, ORY and LMII that it sounds bad and raspy. I have that set-up and my car sounds badass and I get compliments on how it sounds almost every time I take it out.

I think the best advice is to try to hook up with some friends or go to like a local car show and listen for yourself to what these cars sound like with different set-ups. Someone else's preference may not be what you like. Just my .02

Not trying to come off as an a-hole either, just trying to offer some advice..haha.
    Haha well its great advice. and saying the truth doesnt make you an a-hole.
    but thats the thing...the only friends i have with F-bodies are the V6....and most of them are stock systems (no offense to the V6 owners) but you cant compare the rumble of a V6 to that of a V8.
    And i must live in a Mustang Friendly environment because even the car shows (classic car shows too) and the streets are over run by mustangs
    i have lived here my entire life...
    98-02 F-bodies are highly unlikely, and V8 F-bodies are even more rare around here...
    but like i said....borla had a great sound on a regular 01 Trans am.

my question is would the ARH LTs and Catted Y give enough volume behind that Borla growl?

98' trans am

Haha well its great advice. and saying the truth doesnt make you an a-hole.
    but thats the thing...the only friends i have with F-bodies are the V6....and most of them are stock systems (no offense to the V6 owners) but you cant compare the rumble of a V6 to that of a V8.
    And i must live in a Mustang Friendly environment because even the car shows (classic car shows too) and the streets are over run by mustangs
    i have lived here my entire life...
    98-02 F-bodies are highly unlikely, and V8 F-bodies are even more rare around here...
    but like i said....borla had a great sound on a regular 01 Trans am.

my question is would the ARH LTs and Catted Y give enough volume behind that Borla growl?
    well of course..they are free flowing and larger than stock...it will push as much exhaust as you can make right now

Impounded
    So...in conclusion.
    MSD LS1 plug wires with Iridium plugs. $50
    New motor mounts.---?
    ARH 1-7/8 LTs
    ARH Catted Y-Pipe---$1390.85
    SLP "Borlamouth" exhaust (LMII with a Borla Muffler)---$516.02
    Corvette O2 sensors---$35
    grand total of just a hair over $2000...worth it?

98' trans am

motor mounts are from 40-60 bucks

Impounded
    As indecisive as i am...
    What would be good sprak plugs for a good price?
    And i found Spohn motor mounts for $83 (s/h included)
    and as for the exhaust...would it be possible to leave it stock for a while longer until i decide what i want and add it on later? Or would that caise problems

98' trans am

As indecisive as i am...
    What would be good sprak plugs for a good price?
    And i found Spohn motor mounts for $83 (s/h included)
    and as for the exhaust...would it be possible to leave it stock for a while longer until i decide what i want and add it on later? Or would that caise problems
    the ac delco plugs will be fine..really any standard plug will be fine..go to autozone or advanced auto and ask them.

the motor mounts you found are solid motor mounts. check out ws6store .com and search for poly or for motor mounts.

you can do whatever you want with your exhaust...if you want to leave it alone go right ahead..it is your choice

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f7/my-6-liter-build-174257/

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f8/my-8-8-rear-build-165553/

6.0L Block - Forged 403 built, breaking it in , Polluter Stg3 Cam, FAST 102mm Intake, NW102 TB, MSD wires, NGK TR6 plugs, Truck Coil Packs, LS3 Fuel Injectors, CC Pacesetter LT Headers, TS&P ORY, QTP e-Cutout, Magnaflow Muffler, 104mm Air Lid & Line Lock, Catch Can, Stage 2 T56 w/Viper shaft, PRO 5.0 Shifter, Tick MC, Monster Stg 4 Clutch, QT SFI BH, MWC DSL, UMI: SFC, PHB, LCA's, LCA Relocation Brackets & TA, Hotchkis Springs (1" Drop), YR1 Snowflake Wheels wrapped in NT555 tires & Custom Fab Ford 8.8 rear w/4.10 Yukon Gears, WSQ Hood, 3"CM Strange Eng Drive Shaft.

Horsepower never lies, but is often lied about!

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ
    00 Black Ram Air Trans Am

Hooker sounds throaty at 2000 RPMs and roars up top like you want, but mine is with headers and ORY!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information