Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Still Confused

Impounded

Still Confused

Forgive me Y2kPewterSS. But after reading the sticky, i was even more confused. There are just too many varieties and too many opinions.

I was considering the SLP LM or LM2. But from serveral i heard that they were disappointing.
    So lets take a different approach to this..
    I'm 17 years old so i want something that will roar out of the parking lot after school.
    There are a bunch of big trucks that have pipes and mufflers taken off that drown out my car.
    I do not want some crappy system that sounds bad.

I want a nice idle. Nothing ridiculous, but something with a growl.

Regular cruising down the road, i want the same. A good growling, head turning sound.

For the Wide Open Throttle, i want it loud and deep and roaring. I want people to hear it when i gun it from a good distance away.

Around 2000-3000 rpm, i would like a good tone too...nothing rattling, or raspy. I have a 6spd so i want to be able to hear it growling before i shift

I want either a "nascar" kind of sound, or the "classic muscle car" sound
    i want it to sound good and with great ground clearence. I have stock springs and shocks but i donT want to have to worry about dragging everywhere.
    And i prefer 3 or 3.5 inch tips (just to be more specific, not that big of an ordeal)

I have dial up internet so sound clips, youtube, and ls1sounds.com isnt an option.

NBM
    2002 z28 camaro

What is currently done to the car now?

If it is stock then the LM1 will be exactly what you want! I loved it when I had the car stock. Once I put headers and ORY on it was too raspy

Impounded
    Yeah. Its completely stock, but over time i plan to put mods on it.
    I live in southern indiana, so the car doesnt have to pass emmision tests, and noise ordinance laws are not strict what so ever.

Also what headers did/do you have on your car?

NBM
    2002 z28 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by BashamWS6 View Post
    Yeah. Its completely stock, but over time i plan to put mods on it.
    I live in southern indiana, so the car doesnt have to pass emmision tests, and noise ordinance laws are not strict what so ever.

Also what headers did/do you have on your car?
    I have the el cheapo ebay headers. Great headers for the money!

Impounded
    Well... In all honestly, ive only heard a 01 TA with borla and a 96 Gt with magnaflow.
    The mustang sounds ok for a mustang, and the borla had a great low growl, but it just wasnt loud enough for me. But i heard of the Borlamouth, idk how that would sound.

NBM
    2002 z28 camaro

Well... In all honestly, ive only heard a 01 TA with borla and a 96 Gt with magnaflow.
    The mustang sounds ok for a mustang, and the borla had a great low growl, but it just wasnt loud enough for me. But i heard of the Borlamouth, idk how that would sound.
    www.ls1sounds.com

and you can't compare what a mustang sounds like

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I agree. With stock manifolds and cats, the LM1 or LM2 sounds great. How much money do you have to spend?

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

so u want a perfect exhaust..i will tell you..you wont find one...some things must be compromised..and everyone's opinion is different.. i run magnaflow.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Wouldn't you rather have something that sounds ordinary but kicks everything elses ass? I would.

Loud sound does not equal fast or quick...

I run MagnaFlow mufflers on a true dual with an X-pipe. Quiet but deadly and loud when I press the Loud Pedal.

black
    2002 WS6

if all you want is volume and being a 17 year old that comes an no suprise, look a getting a cut out installed, open when you want to be annoying the neighbors and closed when you don't.

00 TA PWTR, 98 VertTA NBM
    80 TA BLK, 80 Formula NBM

tsp rumbler x

1999 Chevy Camaro z28

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    so u want a perfect exhaust..i will tell you..you wont find one...some things must be compromised..and everyone's opinion is different.. i run magnaflow.
    I totally agree with you. I have borla on mine and I would not ever change it!!!

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Catback is a waste of money imo. Get some long tubes/ory and a cutout in the I pipe. Stick a DMH motorized cutout on the end of it. I have a Borla and keep it closed up, coupled with a DMH cutout. Pretty quiet when the cutout is closed, open it and it´s louder than any catback out there.

Impounded
    In southern indiana, 325 hp is plenty to out run 98% of the cars, and i dont need a third ticket...

Tell me more about there motorized cutouts...

I would like to keep it around $1000. But i dont want junk either.

Ive heard nothing but bad things about the rumbler x.
    And i do not want slp headers and no slp LTs either.

Ive heard kooks, ARH, pacesetters and magnaflow are good... But doesnt magnaflows run unusually hot? The mustang i was talking about, he took it to a trip to SOuth Carolina and it caught his back seat on fire...it could be installation or other things but that just makes me wonder...has anyone heard this?

Impounded
    Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    Wouldn't you rather have something that sounds ordinary but kicks everything elses ass? I would.

Loud sound does not equal fast or quick...

I run MagnaFlow mufflers on a true dual with an X-pipe. Quiet but deadly and loud when I press the Loud Pedal.
    reguardless...wouldnt adding headers, LTs, and an ORY only add more hp anyways, if i wanted true power, wouldnt i need to invest in more than bolt ons?
    Yes i know exhaust plays its role too, but I'm 17 years old bringing in maybe $6000 a year if i am lucky, i can make it an 11 second car when i am bringing in six figures...lol

But while we are on the topic...what would optimize my performance?

2002 Z28 A4 NBM

reguardless...wouldnt adding headers, LTs, and an ORY only add more hp anyways, if i wanted true power, wouldnt i need to invest in more than bolt ons?
    Yes i know exhaust plays its role too, but I'm 17 years old bringing in maybe $6000 a year if i am lucky, i can make it an 11 second car when i am bringing in six figures...lol

But while we are on the topic...what would optimize my performance?
    Tell us 1st if you have any mods at all. Then we'll tell you what to do.

BTW, your very 1st mod should be subframe connectors. Preferrably weld-in type (vs. bolt in type). This applies to handling mods as well as to go fast mods. These cars (as are all generation of F-bodies) have a "Twist-o-flex" frame, i.e., none at all. The stiffer the chassis the better the engine can plant the rear tires and the more predictable the handling.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM

Forgot to add my mods. They are in my sig...
    67 Camaro: K-K + 797-z (look it up), 454/Th400/4.10 12-bolt = 6mpg, PS/PDB/PW tilt, tach, gauges...

2005 Corvette LS2/M6 Magnetic Red Metallic (What else would it be?) w/ Cashmere interior

2002 Z28: NBM/Tan, MTI smooth lid, smooth bellows, !AIR, !cats, 1-3/4" QTP SS LT's, 2-1/2" TD's with X-pipe, MagnaFlows dumped at axle, custom welded SFC's, MidWest Chassis body mount adjustable T/A, 3400 stall, 3.23 gears (was 2.73). Tuned: 343rwhp/357rwt (before TD's). Best: 12.559 @ 108+, 1.73 60' @ 3500' DA w/MT ET Street DR's.

Carbon footprint? CLOWN SHOE!

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

my car is an all stock 6 spd and i have the loud mouth with the slp Y pipe. it came with the car when i bought it but i can't complain. it sounds good and is loud when you get into it. it's not raspy and has a great tone from 2000 - 3000 rpms.
    2012 Regal GS

2004 Cadillac CTS-V (Sold)
    2001 Camaro SS (Sold)
    1999 Camaro Z28 (Sold)

pewter
    2000 camaro ss

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by 2001camaroSS View Post
    my car is an all stock 6 spd and i have the loud mouth with the slp Y pipe. it came with the car when i bought it but i can't complain. it sounds good and is loud when you get into it. it's not raspy and has a great tone from 2000 - 3000 rpms.
    Just don't get longtubes and it will continue to sound great.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information