Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Stage 8 Locking Fasteners

As part of my LT install, I decided to try the Stage 8 bolts to prevent the header bolts from backing out. I did not realize how loose the locking tabs fit on the bolt head and it was damn near impossible to set them up to make contact. I was afraid the tabs would rattle and make noise, so upon install I had to back each bolt off just a touch to press the tab against the header. Has anyone else tried these bolts?

White over Red
    1991 Suburban

I used them. Getting the e-clip on is a pain. I just used what ever tab was closest and called it good. In hind sight I dont think you will hear of too many header bolts backing off anymore. At least not on the ls series engines.

red
    2002 camaro 35th anv.

yeah, i was wondering about these fastners too. do you think they are really necessary. cant you just use lock tite on the bolts.

White over Red
    1991 Suburban

You don't need them and my factory bolts had goop on the threads that looked to be a thread locking compound. I would just re use the factory bolts if I had to do it again.

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

Its anti seize on your original bolts, from looking around there really isnt any thread locking compound made to handle those temps and even then you have to use heat to loosen them up but there still not rated to handle those temps.

Black
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

For my peace of mind, I went with the Stage 8 bolts on my GTO. I remember guys always having to tighten header bolts and the 30 or so dollars I paid for the Stage 8 bolts so I don't have to do that are worth it.

Scott

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

I used the Stage 8s on my Camaro. I like them, I did not use the locks though. Never had a problem with them backing out on me, I do check them regularly though.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    I used the Stage 8s on my Camaro. I like them, I did not use the locks though. Never had a problem with them backing out on me, I do check them regularly though.

The headers on our Corvette like to loosen -- but they are easy to get at so I just snug them down every few weeks. My concern was having a header start leaking on a trip with the T/A. If it drew air into the exhaust it could affect a/f. Lots more to worry about on this newer stuff imo.

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    i did the same thing.

BLACK
    2001 WS-6

I also use the stage 8 bolts. the way i look at it, its cheap insurance, against worrying about the bolts backing out. when we spend what we do on these cars whats 30 more dollars for nice stainless bolts and locks.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by jeffsWS-6 View Post
    I also use the stage 8 bolts. the way i look at it, its cheap insurance, against worrying about the bolts backing out. when we spend what we do on these cars whats 30 more dollars for nice stainless bolts and locks.

Jeff - Did you back yours off a bit so that the tabs all made solid contact with the tubes? I felt pretty certain they would all rattle if this wasn't done and am curious as to what other people have experienced.

BLACK
    2001 WS-6

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Jeff - Did you back yours off a bit so that the tabs all made solid contact with the tubes? I felt pretty certain they would all rattle if this wasn't done and am curious as to what other people have experienced.
    I actually didnt back them up, i left them at the torque they needed and figured if they back off they back off,but they have not backed off. but they still do not rattle and make noise.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by jeffsWS-6 View Post
    I actually didnt back them up, i left them at the torque they needed and figured if they back off they back off,but they have not backed off. but they still do not rattle and make noise.
    I tried to put a slight bend in them so that the circlip would put pressure against the tab -- but that did not work as planned. We'll see what happens as I backed them off maybe 1/16 to 1/8 of a turn at most to make contact. I used new GM gaskets so I hope they'll be ok.

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by bigrondownhiller View Post
    I saw those in the catalogue as well -- just wasn't sure about using them in an aluminum head due to the manner in which they are expanded to lock the threads. I have the Stage 8's on at this point so we'll see how they do.

nbm
    99 z28

I used the locking stage 8 bolts when i did my headers. I just bent the tabs over on a few that were not against the tubes. so if they backed off they would hit on the flange. I dont drive mine a lot but it seems to be working.

Thread Information