Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Squealing pulley?

This is a discussion on Squealing pulley? within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Low mileage for an '02 would in my mind be under 60k. I drive about 15k per year. Of course, ...

red
    1998 trans am

Low mileage for an '02 would in my mind be under 60k. I drive about 15k per year.

Of course, it would totally depend on the car and my assessment of the previous owner(s). I'm not shopping for a replacment now but things like aftermarket mods or anything that says "racing" to me would probably kill the deal. I race and haven't killed my car, but I'm "that guy" who still has the original clutch at 120,000 miles even after autocrossing for 3 years. I am on my second set of brake pads, but I replaced the originals before they were anywhere near being done. I'm on original rotors and have only had them turned once. I drive hard but was taught to drive by a CHP pursuit driver (my dad) who learned early in his career how to baby a car while driving it harder and faster than the people he was chasing, and the result is that I've had far fewer major problems with my car than most other people.

The flip side of that coin is that I know how *other* people drive, and most people don't use all the car babying tricks I do so if they mod or race their cars, they're most likely killing it over time. That's not really a bad thing IMHO, but I don't want to buy a car and then spend time repairing/replacing things that were worn out by the previous owner. A low-mileage f-body driven by some guy or girl who would never dream of racing is the sort of thing I'd look for.

Then I'd swap out the fluids for stuff that I can race with, swap the brakes, have the clutch inspected, put in my race shocks and maybe a front swaybar, and go racing again

Red
    '02 Camaro SS

I understand that, so many people dont understand driving nor racing. I don't race, but a man that used to race motorbikes explained to me a long time ago, wheelies and smoking tires don't win. My car has low mileage it's at 34,600. I bought it from this married couple in Kentucky, that ended up having too many kids and couldn't enjoy it. The car was unbelievable when I got it. It only had 30K mi. on it. It looked so good, I kept thinking they wrecked it and had someone rebuild it. But in the end it wasn't wrecked, just beautiful. The only thing I did to it was put in a K&N filter and trim the bottom out of the air box. The only plans I had for it was to add LT's, cold air induction, and maybe get a performance PCM from Nelson Performance. I only wanted the car to breathe better, get better gas mileage and "think" more efficiently. But now I'm considering selling it because there is a good chance I'll be going to Pharmacay School in the Fall of '07 and being able to make the payments will be uncertain. So, I figured if I had to sell it, now would be the time before all the mods, with low mileage, and while I could get a good price for it. But, I still haven't made up my mind yet. I'm thinking sell the SS, and get something I could pay off before Pharm School starts, that way if I can only work part time or not at all my car will be mine. But the thing that makes it hard is, I think logically while I'm sitting at my computer, when I'm behind that wheel, I get gas on the brain and tell myself, you're not selling this car. But the smart thing to do would be to sell it, graduate and then I could buy one of the new Camaro's coming out, or even a vette maybe, but probably a camaro.

red
    1998 trans am

One of the best bits of advice my parents ever gave me was to avoid being "car poor"... Don't trade in your life for a car payment. I didn't buy my trans-am until I had a steady job and could make a big down payment, and then I paid off the loan more than a year early. Now, I'll never use a loan to buy a car... If I can't pay cash for it, I'll keep the one I have running until I can.

There will always be another nice car... yea it sucks giving up a car that you love especially since truly reliable cars are one in a thousand and it sucks even more giving up a car that doesn't have any major problems, but you gotta set some priorities and keep them. My parents proved to me that buying stuff on credit is a great way to stay poor and never get ahead, so I pay cash or do without. Funny thing, after a couple of years I noticed that I almost never have to "do without" anymore. I just had to suck it up and "live poor" until I got a paycheck or two ahead in the bank account, and everything got easier.

Normally I wouldn't recommend giving up a reliable used car because maintaining a used car is almost always cheaper than buying a new one, but if you're making payments and trying to get through school then maybe it's not the right time to have a really nice car. Go cheap until you can either pay cash or not worry at all about making the payments. I drove an $800 car for my first year of college, and did without a car for the next 2 years of college, drove a $1,000 beater for the last 2 years of college (yea it took me 5 yrs), and I got ahead a lot sooner than my friends who got a nice car and a hefty car loan too early.

Red
    '02 Camaro SS

When I first bought the car I thought I'd be able to pay it off before I started pharm school, because I thought I'd have at least two years before I got in, well things are looking a lot better and I'll be able to get in a year earlier. Hell, I wouldnt have even bought a car if I hadn't lost my truck in Hurricane Katrina. I had a 92 1500, that was paid for and ran like the wind, but oh well. Of course I didnt have to buy an SS but kind of figured if I had to buy, might as well get something I want. I'll probably end up with an 02 - 05 Impala. Pay for it quickly and make it mine.

red
    1998 trans am

Sounds like a good plan. Good luck with the school I hope you can get that dream car in the near future without killing your bank account.

Red
    '02 Camaro SS

Thanks, have a good day.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information