Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Specific Mods?

This is a discussion on Specific Mods? within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by Firebirdjones Ah see,,,,now if WS6TA is correct then the picture on Texas Speeds website is wrong. They ...

2000 WS6 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Ah see,,,,now if WS6TA is correct then the picture on Texas Speeds website is wrong. They need to fix the pic asap, I wouldn't touch that Y with a 10 foot pole.
    I really hope he is correct haha. Also, if I get an uncatted y pipe, actually how bad is the gas smell? Some people say its not bad and others say is reaks... I need an honest answer. Because this is my DD

Depends on the tune just as much as whether you have cats or not.

I've been around and still drive daily,,,40 year old classic cars for the last 30+ years, so I really don't notice anything out of the ordinary when I removed the cats from both of our 4th gens.
    If it's tuned right, it honestly won't be stinky.

Now if you start it up and it's a "burning your eyes" kind of stinky,,,,then I'd say the fuel tables need more work in the tune.

Considering I've got plenty of carbed cars here, with cams that have over 260 @ .050 duration and tight 107 lsa's, (alot of overlap) and I can idle them in the garage while working on them, and it's not really stinky in my opinion, I can tune them to idle with 14.5 or leaner AFR's and it smells just like it's supposed to smell.

A fuel injected car with a stockish cam (117 lsa's) should be 10 times better.

That's just one persons observations

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

Quote Originally Posted by WS6Dream View Post
    Interesting, ya that definitely looks like it merges better, but I have not found that look anywhere? Does a company make them like that and sell them that way?

Here is a picture of TSP catted 3" Y....
    http://www.precisionracecomponents.com/tspcat1.jpg

That look "better"?
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6Dream View Post
    Ooh? So maybe they changed the ORY to look like the catted y pipe they make? So are you saying that this picture I am about to link is NOT an accurate representation or the correct picture of the ORYs by TSP that they currently sell?

http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/imag...ile=tspory.jpg

Thanks for helping me clear this up

Edit: I will take down the link once I get a reply from SMWS6TA

Sorry about that, I didn't notice it the first time I looked at it. The first pic is a CAT ORY and the second is a standard ORY. The second one is the one I have from TS&P. Mine looks much cleaner (their welds) then what the pic looks like but it is the same design.

After I ran mine for a yr using the U clamps I finally borrowed a friend's welder and welded the seems together - no more leaks

2000 WS6 Trans Am

Depends on the tune just as much as whether you have cats or not.

I've been around and still drive daily,,,40 year old classic cars for the last 30+ years, so I really don't notice anything out of the ordinary when I removed the cats from both of our 4th gens.
    If it's tuned right, it honestly won't be stinky.

Now if you start it up and it's a "burning your eyes" kind of stinky,,,,then I'd say the fuel tables need more work in the tune.

Considering I've got plenty of carbed cars here, with cams that have over 260 @ .050 duration and tight 107 lsa's, (alot of overlap) and I can idle them in the garage while working on them, and it's not really stinky in my opinion, I can tune them to idle with 14.5 or leaner AFR's and it smells just like it's supposed to smell.

A fuel injected car with a stockish cam (117 lsa's) should be 10 times better.

That's just one persons observations
    Ok awesome, so a tune can pretty much make that a nonexistent problem.

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    Sorry about that, I didn't notice it the first time I looked at it. The first pic is a CAT ORY and the second is a standard ORY. The second one is the one I have from TS&P. Mine looks much cleaner (their welds) then what the pic looks like but it is the same design.

After I ran mine for a yr using the U clamps I finally borrowed a friend's welder and welded the seems together - no more leaks
    Dang, ok. I still may go with TSP's coated pacesetter headers and ORY for $480...

Your ORY you have from them doesn't cause much rasp does it? Runs good? Sounds good?

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

I don't hear much rasp unless I'm in the 5-6k RPM range and even then it is not much. Rasp usually comes from the muffler. Flowmasters are known for their rasp.

2000 WS6 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    I don't hear much rasp unless I'm in the 5-6k RPM range and even then it is not much. Rasp usually comes from the muffler. Flowmasters are known for their rasp.
    Awesome. Ok I have another question that may have been answered but here is my observation of my stock exhaust.

Circumference of the exhaust after the Y pipe is 8.9-9 inches, meaning with C = 2(pi)(radius), that my exhaust is 2.83-2.86 inches in diameter. That would be outer diameter, so I don't know exactly what the inner diameter would be.

But if I were to get the headers/ORY combo and install it, then in a month or a month and a half, get the magnaflow catback, would it make a difference? Or should I just wait and get it all done in one straight shot? Reason being, it would be about $1200 at once, not including shipping, and not including install fees (which I may not need to pay).

If I have a mig welder and know a guy who can weld extremely well, would I need to have a shop do the install work for me?

2000 WS6 Trans Am

Pacesetter 3" Off Road Y-Pipe... Looks like it flows together am I right?

http://www.pacesetterexhaust.com/images/82-1176.jpg

I have pacesetter Y's on both of my 4th gens and neither of them look like that picture.

I have to say I've never seen a Y like that, and can't imagine why it has a studded flanged where the catback bolts on. That's supposed to be a slip fit design.

2000 WS6 Trans Am

I have pacesetter Y's on both of my 4th gens and neither of them look like that picture.

I have to say I've never seen a Y like that, and can't imagine why it has a studded flanged where the catback bolts on. That's supposed to be a slip fit design.
    Hmm, ya I don't know either... alright.

Thanks for the input I am sure I will figure it out

silver
    2000 formula

TSP ORY has been changed for quite a bit now.......

2000 WS6 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by sjsingle1 View Post
    Click for full size

TSP ORY has been changed for quite a bit now.......
    Thats for sure for sure what they have then??!!

TSP should update their sites... would definitely get more business lol

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information