Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Specific Mods?

This is a discussion on Specific Mods? within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I run a pair of pacesetters on both 4th gens here. They are a decent header. I just don't care ...

I run a pair of pacesetters on both 4th gens here. They are a decent header. I just don't care for the offroad Y's they come with. Basically a pair of pipes that are "T"'d together, and the holes that were cut in both of mine didn't come close matching the 3" diameter piping. They almost looked like an afterthought.

I'm not sure what Texas Speed is offering these days for Y-pipes, but you'll want a Y with a nice merge collector. If they have that, then you're good.

3"catbacks are personal taste. They will perform the same, but you have to find one you can live with in the sound department. If the sound clips don't help, it might be best to find some other 4th gens you can listen to in person.

Quote Originally Posted by KMdef9 View Post
    As headers typically go, you get why you pay for. I have heard alot of people wishing they had spent the money on kooks instead of cheap headers. If your limited by a budget, kooks will be out of reach. I think they run ~900. that's not counting the y pipe.

For a magnaflow catback, it should be closer to 700 I believe, check out kyspeed's site, they have very competitive prices there.
    Ya I never could get passed the price for kooks when you consider what you are getting. It's not like they are custom made stepped headers. Just your standard primary tubes.

I can have Rob at McCabe racing custom make a set of headers for any car here for that kind of money. He is hard to catch at the shop though, the Nascar teams are always flying him around the country making headers for them.

2000 WS6 Trans Am

Is the merge collector where the two headers eventually come into one? That point there? and how would I identify a good designed merge collector?

Also, yes I am kind of on a budget right now. I am wanting to have most of the money before summer to buy the exhaust set up I want. (college student so don't work a TON), but I have a temporary job in the summer where I can make about $1000 a week for 3-5 weeks (working at a grain elevator during the wheat harvest).

So after that I should be good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I run a pair of pacesetters on both 4th gens here. They are a decent header. I just don't care for the offroad Y's they come with. Basically a pair of pipes that are "T"'d together, and the holes that were cut in both of mine didn't come close matching the 3" diameter piping. They almost looked like an afterthought.

I'm not sure what Texas Speed is offering these days for Y-pipes, but you'll want a Y with a nice merge collector. If they have that, then you're good.

3"catbacks are personal taste. They will perform the same, but you have to find one you can live with in the sound department. If the sound clips don't help, it might be best to find some other 4th gens you can listen to in person.

I was referring to the merge collector on the Y-pipe where the exhaust funnels down to a single system.

2000 WS6 Trans Am

I was referring to the merge collector on the Y-pipe where the exhaust funnels down to a single system.
    Oh ok, gotcha.

Quote Originally Posted by WS6Dream View Post
    Oh ok, gotcha.
    I just did some searching, it appears that the texas speed Y-pipe no longer uses a contoured merge collector, they are simply teeing the pipes together, so I'd cross that one off my list. Too bad, it's only $129. Up to you though.

Here is a link to an old thread.

On the third page you can see the Y spread out in a nice photo.

You can plainly see the nice merge collector in this setup. That's what I would be looking for in a Y-pipe. Hope this helps.

Best ory to date

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

These Pacesetter ceramic coated headers and ory what I should be looking at? Price wise good? Quality? Also for the ory that it comes with, should i get the TSP 3" ory or pay 10$ more for Pacesetter 3" ory? Tell me what you think. $490 for these.

http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...id=182&catid=8

or
    http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...id=976&catid=8 is painted headers - should I stay away from those? Its $370 for this package.

Been looking and listening at catback sound clips and still don't know what I prefer. From what I heard, magnaflow and flowmasters are nice. There any general preference over one or the other here? How long do they last if that is an issue?

OP, just a friendly warning, TS&P is not a site sponsor. Mods are going to remove the link if you don't.

I have Pacesetter LT Ceramic Coated Race Style (No EGR) with a TS&P ORY and Magnaflow muffler. I deleted the Cats. I love 'em. Great header for a great price. If LT's are something new to you and you aren't sure these Pacesetters are a safe and reliable bet. Hookers, GMMG, and Borla are also great headers but they also come at a premium price.

When looking for type I recommend Jet Hot/Ceramic Coated or Stainless Steel. Stay far away from painted headers or SLP.

Mufflers -
    deep rumble, classic muscle car sound = Magnaflow - stainless steel, has better flow then Flowmasters
    Raspy, loud and always has a drone = Flowmasters - know rusting issues

ORY, TS&P and Pacesetter are almost identical, when getting an ORY make sure it is compatible with the headers.

Navy Blue Metallic

Here is a quick video after I installed mine. Also you might hear the baffles of the muffler start to go. I went and got a Magnaflow a few days latter.

View Video on FQuick

2000 WS6 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    Here is a quick video after I installed mine. Also you might hear the baffles of the muffler start to go. I went and got a Magnaflow a few days latter.
    Do you have a video/sound clip of it all done? Pacesetter headers, TS&P ORY, and Magnaflow catback?

2000 WS6 Trans Am

I just did some searching, it appears that the texas speed Y-pipe no longer uses a contoured merge collector, they are simply teeing the pipes together, so I'd cross that one off my list. Too bad, it's only $129. Up to you though.
    Good news. I just called them and the TS&P Off Road Y-pipes do merge together, but the pacesetter ORYs that they sell are just the pipes welded together like a "T".

Edit: This is what it should look like right? http://precisionracecomponents.com/d...ges/tspory.jpg

Good news. I just called them and the TS&P Off Road Y-pipes do merge together, but the pacesetter ORYs that they sell are just the pipes welded together like a "T".

Edit: This is what it should look like right? http://precisionracecomponents.com/d...ges/tspory.jpg
    Eh, that just looks like 2 pipes welded together, looks identical to the pacesetter Y's I have here. Either that's an old pic from their website and the guy on the phone is honest,,,,or he doesn't understand what you are asking.

Here is the merge I'm talking about, Look at post #50

Best ory to date

2000 WS6 Trans Am

Interesting, ya that definitely looks like it merges better, but I have not found that look anywhere? Does a company make them like that and sell them that way?

Here is a picture of TSP catted 3" Y....
    http://www.precisionracecomponents.com/tspcat1.jpg

That look "better"?

Navy Blue Metallic

Interesting, ya that definitely looks like it merges better, but I have not found that look anywhere? Does a company make them like that and sell them that way?

That look "better"?
    That is my ORY.

That look "better"?
    Ya that's better. Not sure why that doesn't show up on Texas Speeds website. I would think that would be something that should be updated if they do infact sell the better merge setup. Because that pic they have now would deter alot of people away. It does me anyway.

That link with the picture of the Y I posted earlier is made by LSXtreme. You would have to do a search for them.

2000 WS6 Trans Am

Found that LSxtreme ORY, $250 for it. Also, that TSP Y pipe that you said looked better is WITH cats, which I am looking to not get, so... I may look at the LSxtreme ORY and see if it would hook up with the Pacesetter headers. Also, are those designed for the f-bodys so they fit under the car well (LSXtreme ORY)?

2000 WS6 Trans Am

That is my ORY.
    That is your ORY? or Catted y pipe? If you have one that is ORY with no cats that look like that then I may be intersted in getting those.

Navy Blue Metallic

That is your ORY? or Catted y pipe? If you have one that is ORY with no cats that look like that then I may be intersted in getting those.
    My TS&P ORY looks exactly like that.

2000 WS6 Trans Am

My TS&P ORY looks exactly like that.
    Ooh? So maybe they changed the ORY to look like the catted y pipe they make? So are you saying that this picture I am about to link is NOT an accurate representation or the correct picture of the ORYs by TSP that they currently sell?

Thanks for helping me clear this up

Edit: Removed
    Last edited by WS6Dream; 03-10-2011 at 08:37 AM.

Ah see,,,,now if WS6TA is correct then the picture on Texas Speeds website is wrong. They need to fix the pic asap, I wouldn't touch that Y with a 10 foot pole.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information