2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

Spark plugs suck

just thought you guys should know that. GM definitely did not have it in mind to make them easy to get too.

Mine rear 4 are tucked way up inside the exhaust manifolds. My number 3 i think it is, i put the socket on, thank god for spark plug sockets, theyre rubber lined, yeah, whatever. then got my extension in, then got my ratchet, once it was all connected i had about 1/2 inch clearance between it and my steering column, and all covered by exhaust.

I was sitting on my fender well with the tools, and my buddy was underneath with a flashlight, i was his hands, he was my eyes, and it took us almost 2 hours to change 3 plugs, we get to finish tomorrow.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

It gets better with practice. I have seen homemade special tools....I've seen guys cut out a portion of their firewall...and special ceremonies performed all just to get to the plugs

COTM July '09

BLK/BLK w/CGM Stripes
    2010 Camaro 2SS/M6

Pulling the engine out the bottom is easier than changing plugs on stock manifold LT1's!!!

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

oh and i thought i should add, once i got the old plugs, im pretty sure these are the original plugs, 13 years and 100k miles.

they are AC Delco 4L-606. They appear to be in really good shape, but on the nut part, where the socket actually fits onto, theyre rusted up pretty good, that dark, pitted rust. the rust has even stained the ceramic up about a quarter inch. But the screwed right out, no problem at all once i got ahold of them.

Im replacing them with Autolite double platinums APP-606. I dont know much about spark plugs, but these were OE recommended replacements in the book.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Spikito View Post
    oh and i thought i should add, once i got the old plugs, im pretty sure these are the original plugs, 13 years and 100k miles.

they are AC Delco 4L-606. They appear to be in really good shape, but on the nut part, where the socket actually fits onto, theyre rusted up pretty good, that dark, pitted rust. the rust has even stained the ceramic up about a quarter inch. But the screwed right out, no problem at all once i got ahold of them.

Im replacing them with Autolite double platinums APP-606. I dont know much about spark plugs, but these were OE recommended replacements in the book.
    Autolites will work, but AC Delco plugs or NGK plugs are generally much more preferred. They just tend to run better in GM engines than Autolites do.

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

I just happened to notice spark plugs at walmart, saw the part number book and figured i might as well pick some up. all they had were some off brand ones, Autolites, and Bosch, but Bosch doesnt make my size.

If i have any trouble I will def switch, but its just a DD, not a performance car.

Thread Information