Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 41

Spark plugs

This is a discussion on Spark plugs within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I have an 02 WS6 and going to change spark plugs every thing is stock wanted to ask would you ...

  1. #1
    Junior Member proud1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Pearsall, TX
    Posts
    19

    Red
    2002 Trans Am WS6

    Spark plugs

    I have an 02 WS6 and going to change spark plugs every thing is stock wanted to ask would you go with stock or a hotter plug

  2. #2
    its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The Woodlands/spring/houston
    Posts
    2,142

    pewter
    99 trans am

    ac delco irridium....ftw

  3. #3
    Super Moderator
    pajeff02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, PA
    Posts
    21,576

    Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

    NGK TR55 plugs gapped at .054".

  4. #4
    The Silver Bullet LS1_ws6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Brush Colorado
    Posts
    323

    Silver
    1999 Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    NGK TR55 plugs gapped at .054".
    You should go with these

  5. #5
    Junior Member tdevil55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Hampton VA
    Posts
    64

    Navy Blue Metalic
    02 Z28 Camaro

    ^^^ +1

  6. #6
    ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    9,965

    White
    2008 Hummer H3

    Quote Originally Posted by needls1again View Post
    ac delco irridium....ftw
    I use these in everything I own (car wise) I like them, and been using them for years.. One will change wires more times than they will change their iridium plugs.. I 've heard good things about the NGK tr55's but not enough to switch to a copper core plug..
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif


    Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

  7. #7
    its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The Woodlands/spring/houston
    Posts
    2,142

    pewter
    99 trans am

    Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    I use these in everything I own (car wise) I like them, and been using them for years.. One will change wires more times than they will change their iridium plugs.. I 've heard good things about the NGK tr55's but not enough to switch to a copper core plug..
    i put them in my formula and it made a notable difference. pulled em out 6 mths later and still looked great. of course they were a little pricey at $7 each..but oh well.

  8. #8
    ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    9,965

    White
    2008 Hummer H3

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by needls1again View Post
    i put them in my formula and it made a notable difference. pulled em out 6 mths later and still looked great. of course they were a little pricey at $7 each..but oh well.
    They're a 100k plug I pulled the originals out @ 80k and they looked like new (aside from discoloring from use). Replaced with same set and then a set for the TDC. Changing the plugs on a TDC rivals the f-bod LS1 in difficulty... I did'nt want to have to change them alot..

  9. #9
    Super Moderator
    pajeff02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, PA
    Posts
    21,576

    Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

    Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    They're a 100k plug I pulled the originals out @ 80k and they looked like new (aside from discoloring from use). Replaced with same set and then a set for the TDC. Changing the plugs on a TDC rivals the f-bod LS1 in difficulty... I did'nt want to have to change them alot..

    I agree -- my stock plugs looked great after 73,000 miles. I still went with the TR55's as I will never leave a plug in a motor for that long irrespective of its intended life (we purchased the car with 71,000 miles on it). The plugs aren't that bad to do if you remove the coil packs and go get the infamous number 8 from beneath the car.

  10. #10
    ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    9,965

    White
    2008 Hummer H3

    Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    I agree -- my stock plugs looked great after 73,000 miles. I still went with the TR55's as I will never leave a plug in a motor for that long irrespective of its intended life (we purchased the car with 71,000 miles on it). The plugs aren't that bad to do if you remove the coil packs and go get the infamous number 8 from beneath the car.
    they're no easier on my 6er f-bod either lol, but the TDC? huh you'll either be trying to lean the motor, (TDC can't be tilted and pinned easily no dog bone loop for pinning the engine) or get out the tool sets cuz you'll be pulling the upper intake.. Or pulling off the cowl weather strip and using 90 feet of extensions to get down into the hemispherical heads where the plugs sit either way you'll be there a while ..
    Last edited by Smittro; 02-11-2010 at 10:36 AM.

  11. #11
    its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The Woodlands/spring/houston
    Posts
    2,142

    pewter
    99 trans am

    Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    I agree -- my stock plugs looked great after 73,000 miles. I still went with the TR55's as I will never leave a plug in a motor for that long irrespective of its intended life (we purchased the car with 71,000 miles on it). The plugs aren't that bad to do if you remove the coil packs and go get the infamous number 8 from beneath the car.
    well somehow a small friend of mine (happens to own a c5) got the #8 out from the top without lifting the motor...hes a wee little fella

  12. #12
    Senior Member justinmc978's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    college station, tx
    Posts
    2,564

    sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    I use these in everything I own (car wise) I like them, and been using them for years.. One will change wires more times than they will change their iridium plugs.. I 've heard good things about the NGK tr55's but not enough to switch to a copper core plug..
    not from me you wont

  13. #13
    ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    9,965

    White
    2008 Hummer H3

    Quote Originally Posted by justinmc978 View Post
    not from me you wont
    I believe your beast requires Denso's stock..

  14. #14
    Junior Member WS6 > SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Jacksonville
    Posts
    77
    I agree, I just changed mine to the TR55's. They were not 7$ a piece though! Advance auto parts sold them to me for $2.49 each. BTW, good luck with the rear passenger plug, it's a son of a B$%CH to get to! Also, the owners manual calls for the plugs to be gapped at .060, not .054.

  15. #15
    ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    9,965

    White
    2008 Hummer H3

    Wink

    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 > SS View Post
    I agree, I just changed mine to the TR55's. They were not 7$ a piece though! Advance auto parts sold them to me for $2.49 each. BTW, good luck with the rear passenger plug, it's a son of a B$%CH to get to! Also, the owners manual calls for the plugs to be gapped at .060, not .054.
    .054 = hotter spark. Just an fyi..

    Iridiums pay for themselves after nearly 3 sets of Tr55's..
    Last edited by Smittro; 02-11-2010 at 10:57 AM.

  16. #16
    ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    9,965

    White
    2008 Hummer H3

    On a side note, along with my statement above. Is labor, prolly also saving 6-8++ hours of labor total on three sets Tr55 changes as opposed to 1-2 hours every 2 or so years.. Unless you don't DD the car.. Even then Tr55's are not cost effective for the minor if any real performance gains. I think most people buy the Tr55 cuz they're cheap..
    Last edited by Smittro; 02-11-2010 at 11:06 AM.

  17. #17
    Junior Member proud1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Pearsall, TX
    Posts
    19

    Red
    2002 Trans Am WS6

    ok due to any of my auto part stores not having NGK I bought the AC Delco's but question is what gap should I go with there the iridium plugs

  18. #18
    The Bandit Wesman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    4,033

    SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    .054 = hotter spark. Just an fyi..

    Iridiums pay for themselves after nearly 3 sets of Tr55's..
    I agree about the AC Delco Iridium plugs, they are excellent.

    However, I do not agree with your theory of .54 creating a "hotter" spark.

    Spark gap is about the flame front and ignition system voltage. High voltage systems (such as the LS1 coil-over-plug system) can jump larger gaps due to the higher voltage. So by expanding the gap, you get more exposed flame between the electrodes, resulting in better combustion. A gap such as .060 is not possible with conventional distributor ignition systems, because the spark is not strong enough to jump such a large gap.

  19. #19
    Super Moderator
    pajeff02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, PA
    Posts
    21,576

    Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

    Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    I agree about the AC Delco Iridium plugs, they are excellent.

    However, I do not agree with your theory of .54 creating a "hotter" spark.

    Spark gap is about the flame front and ignition system voltage. High voltage systems (such as the LS1 coil-over-plug system) can jump larger gaps due to the higher voltage. So by expanding the gap, you get more exposed flame between the electrodes, resulting in better combustion. A gap such as .060 is not possible with conventional distributor ignition systems, because the spark is not strong enough to jump such a large gap.


    The difference between the two is .006" -- trivial imo. It was the recommended gap that I went with for the TR55's. As I often say on here, a person can do whatever they want with their own car. If they want to run Royal Purple, a K&N and WeaponX spark plugs, then go for it.

  20. #20
    Member marksls1ta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    pikeville, kentucky
    Posts
    701

    black
    1998 trans am

    TR55 for the NA cars.

    we have them less than $7 ea lol

    Thanks,
    Mark

    KYSpeed.com | FREE SHIPPING & HANDLING | PRICE MATCH | EMAIL

    Kook's | American Racing Headers | Vararam | HallTech | Textralia | SPEC | McLeod | Raptor | Trick Flow | AFR | ECS
    | FAST | APS | TTi | Procharger | RPM Transmission | Comp | DMH | HP Tuners | PFADT | SLP | STS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Enerpulse Pulstar Spark Plugs - Supersize Your Spark
    By Ed Blown Vert in forum Firebird / WS6
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-15-2013, 10:00 PM
  2. Question: Spark Plugs
    By 10erg01 in forum General Help
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-27-2010, 09:53 PM
  3. What kind of oil 5w30& spark plugs&spark plug wire
    By ROMERO98Z28 in forum General Help
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 09-01-2009, 02:50 PM
  4. spark plugs, tr55 iridium or plane tr55 plugs?
    By got-a-ls1 in forum General Help
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-09-2006, 07:06 PM
  5. NGK Spark Plugs - Combo Deal - MSD 8.5mm Super Conductor Spark Plug Wires, 1998-2002
    By Stealthperf.com in forum Sales and Group Purchases from our Great Sponsors!
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-16-2006, 01:18 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •