Sebring Silver Metallic
    2002 Z28

So really, how high does it have to be?

I've read some header install posts where people have done pretty risky-sounding things to get their cars jacked up as far as possible.

So how high is the minimum for LS1 Pacesetters or Hookers? My floor jack will let me put the car up about 20" on jack stands. Is this not enough?

TA-White, Camaro-Black
    Track-TA98A4 DD-98z28M6

i just installed pacesetter LTs.. its a breeze.. although i had no ac in.. and i had a few more things apart since i was doing a cam swap.. it should go in at that heigth pretty easily..

Silver
    1998 Camaro SS

I had to put a 6x6 block of wood on my jack for the passenger side header.

Red
    2000 Camaro SS # 5,876

i used a 1 1/2 ton jack... and i am a 300 pound guy with a beer gut and i did it..

hugger orange

When I did my pacesetter lt's I used 4 of the little orange jack stands from walmart. fully extended I think I had about 20 inches... plenty of room. I have a goat and the only hard part was getting the lines to go back in the rack. (17mm crows foot and 2 foot 3/8 extension helped) on the goat the streering shaft goes through the primary tubes. drop rack, slide header in, bolt rack back up, then boltup header... I don't think you have to drop the rack on an F body though. start to finish it took me about an hour and a half. Just do me a favor, use jack stands, metal or wood blocks AT ALL TIMES. don't use bricks or cement blocks (ive seen them shater under the stress of a car). remember it only takes one car to fall on you to hurt you or worse! good luck with the install!

hugger orange

btw sorry, didn't mean to sound like mr OSHA, but I was under that car when the cement block gave out.... after being pinned under the car for an hour and a half ( when my father came to let me know dinner was ready) he jacked the car back up and got me out, I cracked ribs from it.

Red
    2001 Trash Can

Quote Originally Posted by nc2k2z28 View Post
    I've read some header install posts where people have done pretty risky-sounding things to get their cars jacked up as far as possible.

So how high is the minimum for LS1 Pacesetters or Hookers? My floor jack will let me put the car up about 20" on jack stands. Is this not enough?
    That should be plenty. I only had the front of my car up though and had to pound out the drivers floorboard to get em in.

Quote Originally Posted by mark21742 View Post
    btw sorry, didn't mean to sound like mr OSHA, but I was under that car when the cement block gave out.... after being pinned under the car for an hour and a half ( when my father came to let me know dinner was ready) he jacked the car back up and got me out, I cracked ribs from it.

Dude, you are a lucky SOB!!! Glad to hear you walked out of it pretty much unscathed! Another thing I see all the time is people pulling their cars on ramps and working on them. They act like those flimsy little pieces of steel or plastic are all the safety they need. Safety is no joke man, but OSHA can be pretty gay about shit. For instance, I can't even put a sticker on my hard hat cause it will "compromise the structural integrity." RRRIIIIIGGGGGHHHHHTTTTT....but they can put their little sticker on the inside saying that it's approved. Talk about hypocrytical...

hugger orange

yeah, I got lucky. the car I was working on was stock height and had all 4 wheels on it when it fell. trust me though it still hurt me bad lol

OSHA is good in principle but they get real nutty some times

Black
    2001 Camaro SS Vert

Quote Originally Posted by nc2k2z28 View Post

I did mine last month, had it up 20" and had plenty of room.

Ditto on the safety stuff, I had a jackstand that I thought was latched suddenly drop 8"... bout had a heart attack

I work in safety, OSHA is out of control, especially with ergonomics, anyways, I double jack. Always have a back up. Redundency becomes a Submariners way of life !

black
    1999 Camaro Z28 M6

I was pretty unexperienced when i did my headers. Everything was pretty simple with the install expect for fitting them in. My car was at 24 high, I had 2 patio blocks underneath each jack stand. I thank God nothing happened, cause it was extremely unsafe. If you're buying headers off ebay from XS or that chrome company place.. get the right tools. don't risk it

00 TA PWTR, 98 VertTA NBM
    80 TA BLK, 80 Formula NBM

i just put mine up on dads lift. . . plenty of room im a lucky bastard. . . love that thing btw if anyone needs em, lowe's has a good kobalt jack and jack stand set for like 80 bucks, i believe.

hugger orange

lol now you are the lucky one gullett17 I would love to have a lift

Pewter
    2001 GrandPrix GTP

my lift at work goes up about 7 feet so no biggy for me. lol

Sebring Silver Metallic
    2002 Z28

Talking

Thanks for the feedback. I was hoping 20" would be high enough. Bricks and 2x4s on a jack or under jackstands just scares the crap out of me!

Red
    2001 Trash Can

Quote Originally Posted by GULLETT17 View Post
    i just put mine up on dads lift. . . plenty of room im a lucky bastard. . . love that thing btw if anyone needs em, lowe's has a good kobalt jack and jack stand set for like 80 bucks, i believe.
    F.U. J/k that's awesome! I'd rub it in peoples' faces if I had one too!

Thread Information