Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

so the ebay headers?

This is a discussion on so the ebay headers? within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; so these headers will fit an 02..i really ddint see a difference since it is still an ls1 cus i ...

2002 Arctic White T/A Ws6islife's Avatar

Metallic Pewter
    2002 SLP Firehawk

so these headers will fit an 02..i really ddint see a difference since it is still an ls1 cus i have seen header description from 98-02

Metallic Pewter
    2002 SLP Firehawk

hmm obx i have heard good things hope they fit my 02 i see no EGR will this affect my emissions??and the collectors look funny on these headers than the rest..

Navy Blue Metallic
    1999 Trans-Am

they HAVE EGR fittings, if you don't want to run EGR get or make block off plates, or better yet have you're local shop remove them and weld the headers closed because for many brands of header the EGR fittings breaking off does not seem to be uncommon.

Mine are going on a 99, but I'm not sure I'll keep the emmisions stuff.

You're going to need plates or a little welding because I'm pretty sure 02s have no EGR.

What do you mean the collectors look funny? They are bolt up flanges instead of slip fit. In my opinion it's an advantage because you can make fine adjustments to the attachment angle this way, and keep your Y pipe tucked up tight.
    Last edited by Wheels; 02-04-2010 at 08:45 PM.

Metallic Pewter
    2002 SLP Firehawk

so these obx will fit my 02 ta?

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

YES they will an ls1 is an ls1 the 02 trans am just doesnt use an egr system so the small bungs u see on the collectors will need to be either cut off and welded or just capped off.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

i have the e-bay headers and love them...

midnight blue
    2000 Pontiac ram air ws-6

so what stores on ebay have you guys been happy in dealing with?

Metallic Pewter
    2002 SLP Firehawk

Quote Originally Posted by redbird555 View Post
    YES they will an ls1 is an ls1 the 02 trans am just doesnt use an egr system so the small bungs u see on the collectors will need to be either cut off and welded or just capped off.
    yea i knew an ls1 was an ls1 i didnt know about the egr stuff tho learn somethign new every day

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    Personally...
    The cheapest headers I would get for these cars is the Pacesetters.

Too each their own though.

i cant see $150 headers lasting very long, performing very well, or even worth your time to install. im with luos but its your car.

white
    01 formula

i have the exact setup your looking at "ebay stainless headers and pacesetter y "and the fitment is awesome! the y is tricky getting on all the way but once you fanagle it on it seals up awesome.the headers or "header" is well worth the price and the shipping is fast.they do turn colors quickly as all stainless does but i didnt care to spend money on coating them. if you have a non egr car and dont plan to weld on your new headers save some time and order blockoff plates when you order the headers.and also if you plan to remove the A.I.R system order those blockoffs as well. and as stated before take the gaskets that come with the headers and throw them away get the gm ones Trust me. you dont wanna do this twice. but other then that enjoy cause these do give you a bit more rumble!! oh and every one should start their car with just longtubes on itll show you just how restrictive your old stuff was.

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by fieropope View Post
    i have the exact setup your looking at "ebay stainless headers and pacesetter y "and the fitment is awesome! the y is tricky getting on all the way but once you fanagle it on it seals up awesome.the headers or "header" is well worth the price and the shipping is fast.they do turn colors quickly as all stainless does but i didnt care to spend money on coating them. if you have a non egr car and dont plan to weld on your new headers save some time and order blockoff plates when you order the headers.and also if you plan to remove the A.I.R system order those blockoffs as well. and as stated before take the gaskets that come with the headers and throw them away get the gm ones Trust me. you dont wanna do this twice. but other then that enjoy cause these do give you a bit more rumble!! oh and every one should start their car with just longtubes on itll show you just how restrictive your old stuff was.
    so to agree with that, just do it right the first time with a nice set....

Navy Blue Metallic
    1999 Trans-Am

Quote Originally Posted by mpfranks View Post

i cant see $150 headers lasting very long, performing very well, or even worth your time to install. im with luos but its your car.
    I'm honestly not trying to fire up this whole debate again, it's been gone over and over and over but I do have a question. Why is it you feel this way?

There's certainly not $150 in stainless in a set of these.......... and we live in a time where intellectual property rights are almost meaningless (I'm not saying that's a good thing)...... so where in a set of headers does the "value" come in? The name on the box? The man-hours to build them? Man hours are worth very little in China.

People have been installing variations of these ebay headers for years and I can find a lot of reviews that say they fit well and make good power by people who have actually bought and installed them, and a lot of negative comments on them made by people who've never seen a set.

It's worth a couple hundred dollar gamble to me to get them here and have a look at them myself.

In need of another LS1 00blacktransam112's Avatar

Black
    2000 Pontiac TA

worth the gamble for me

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    I'm honestly not trying to fire up this whole debate again, it's been gone over and over and over but I do have a question. Why is it you feel this way?

There's certainly not $150 in stainless in a set of these.......... and we live in a time where intellectual property rights are almost meaningless (I'm not saying that's a good thing)...... so where in a set of headers does the "value" come in? The name on the box? The man-hours to build them? Man hours are worth very little in China.

People have been installing variations of these ebay headers for years and I can find a lot of reviews that say they fit well and make good power by people who have actually bought and installed them, and a lot of negative comments on them made by people who've never seen a set.

It's worth a couple hundred dollar gamble to me to get them here and have a look at them myself.
    the difference in headers is in the material, there are different types of stainless. in the quality of the welds, the thickness of the flanges, the type of collector used. different headers flow better and create more power. and most importantly the fitment. some and have clearnace issues. you really dont think there is a difference from a set of $150 ebay headers to a $700 set of QTP or kooks? remember, you get what you pay for...

Navy Blue Metallic
    1999 Trans-Am

From the OBX auction I purchased

Application for:

•1998-1999 Chevy Camaro F-Body
    •Tube Diameter: 1 3/4"
    •Flange Thickness: 3/8"
    •Runner Wall Thickness: 16 gauge (1.5mm)
    •Mirror polish SUS-304 stainless steel

-The highest flowing header. Constructed of high quality 304 Stainless Steel.

-QTP200198-98 - 1 3/4" 1998-1999 LS1 Emissions Headers
    Fasttoys does not list the flange thickness or the tube wall thickness that I could find on a quick search but if you KNOW those stats on the QTPs and they are better than the OBX please post up.

You are correct about flow, that's really what it comes down to is performance, QTP makes a claim of 18hp but they don't say if that's on a stock engine or what so I'm not sure what that means....

To be honest and fair, I could not find dyno graphs of before and after OBX install so I can't make any claims about performance #s for them either.

For $199 plus shipping I got the headers, and the offroad Y
    For $1034 plus shipping I could have bought the QTPs and an offroad Y

That's a 500% price increase............................... would I get 500% of the OBX performance? Heck, would I get 200%?

Add to all this that as I mentioned in previous posts there are many first hand reports of good fitment.........

All I'm saying is that I don't KNOW if there's a difference in quality and I think $200 is a good gamble.

Also I haven't mounted them yet, I can reserve the decision to install or not until I've seen them first hand and taken my own measurements. If they don't meet my standards when they get here there's no law saying I'm forced to keep them for all eternity, they can go right back on ebay.
    Last edited by Y2KPewterSS; 02-08-2010 at 08:33 PM. Reason: removed non sponsor link

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    From the OBX auction I purchased

Fasttoys does not list the flange thickness or the tube wall thickness that I could find on a quick search but if you KNOW those stats on the QTPs and they are better than the OBX please post up.

You are correct about flow, that's really what it comes down to is performance, QTP makes a claim of 18hp but they don't say if that's on a stock engine or what so I'm not sure what that means....

To be honest and fair, I could not find dyno graphs of before and after OBX install so I can't make any claims about performance #s for them either.

For $199 plus shipping I got the headers, and the offroad Y
    For $1034 plus shipping I could have bought the QTPs and an offroad Y

That's a 500% price increase............................... would I get 500% of the OBX performance? Heck, would I get 200%?

Add to all this that as I mentioned in previous posts there are many first hand reports of good fitment.........

All I'm saying is that I don't KNOW if there's a difference in quality and I think $200 is a good gamble.

Also I haven't mounted them yet, I can reserve the decision to install or not until I've seen them first hand and taken my own measurements. If they don't meet my standards when they get here there's no law saying I'm forced to keep them for all eternity, they can go right back on ebay.
    well i guess the way i look at it is just the overall quality of the product. i just see the nicer headers lasting longer and giving me the performance id expect. after doing those headers i never want to have to deal with issues down the road. and not those headers in particular, but weve all seen manifolds and headers break before. just dont see it as likely with the QTP or kooks and so on. i guess you could make the argument that you can buy a few sets compared to one of the other brands, but i just felt more comfortable with them. also i only paid $500 for mine cuz my girlfriend worked for summit racing, that made pulling the trigger easier. and a good y-pipe will run you about $200-300 even for an ory. the cheaper pacesetter style with the crappy merge cause you to lose a lot of power as well as increase rasp. so all said and done, with the QTP headers and TSP catted y-pipe i only have $850 in my setup. i rarely drive my car and plan on keeping it a very long time, its paid off and doesnt cost me anything, so i just figured id do it the way i want it the first time...
    Last edited by Y2KPewterSS; 02-08-2010 at 08:33 PM. Reason: removed non sponsor link

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Please don't provide direct links to non sponsors

Navy Blue Metallic
    1999 Trans-Am

Won't happen again

Metallic Pewter
    2002 SLP Firehawk

thread back from dead lol...so the obx did the prices go up???

Metallic Pewter
    2002 SLP Firehawk

so if i decide to go withs omething other than obx what do you guys recoment, if you could post pros and cons plus any pictures thatq would be great help sometime this month or beggining of this month im ready to purchase a pair

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information